RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Bad timing/bent valves after S52 cam swap in M52?

My Cars
    95 M3, 96 Z3, 97 M3/4

Bad timing/bent valves after S52 cam swap in M52?

So I after getting my 328 running properly, I decided to finally swap my S52 cams that have been sitting in my room for about two months. I went into this job with little research, thought it was going to be easy, and without the proper tools(home made ones). Put the car back together a total of 3 times without the proper tools and I already knew that the timing was way off. I finally decided to rent the tools and time the vanos perfectly(so i thought) with a new crank and cam sensors and now there is a shit load of problems. First the car still chugs at idle. Sounds like a hotrod. Second the car will die at idle coming to a stop after driving around for ay least 5 minutes. Almost every stop when I put it in neutral the rpm just drops to zero. With the MAF unplugged the car does not die. Replaced the maf but still dies at idle when plugged in. Possible vac leak maybe? Also there's a strange knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. It goes away after engaging clutch. You can only here it at idle, and goes away whenever i start driving. The only codes that are popping up are cylinder misfires. Cylinder 6 is the main one and 4/5 are intermittent. I checked compression in the cylinders and 5/6 are at zero. Could that be from bent valves due to bad timing? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot really afford to take my baby into an indy shop right now unfortunately due to a high amount of bills . Here of some videos of the problems:

Bad timing/knocking noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpzZJoAHf0U

Knocking goes away after clutch engaged
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyDltdeP9MI

Not sure if this is correcting timing for cams. If the cam timing is correct maybe the vanos is a tooth off?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MN8oGDCPw4

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    your timing is off, redo it instead of messing with everything else

My Cars
    95 M3, 96 Z3, 97 M3/4
    Cam timing, vanos or both?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    If you've doublechecked the compression results, then cylinders 5& 6 have bent valves or leaking head gasket, or you put the cams in wrong, maybe broke one of them when installing without the proper cam hold-down tool (The camshafts are hollow, and they can snap right in half if you draw them into place with the nuts instead of using the special fixture tool. Try opening up the valvecover, and seeing whether the last two cylinders are opening and closing the valves when you turn the engine by hand.

A leak down test will tell you what's going on, by noting wherever the air comes out....

EDIT: However, given that the car "does not die with MAF unplugged", I'd be fairly sure there's a major air leak involved: IF you're saying that it's running on at least five, and maybe six cylinders at that time, then your compression results must be wrong. Smoke test the intake system, either way . (You could even put cylinder six at it's TDC, and smoke test into the spark plug hole, see where the smoke comes out - if it does - since you're already using the smoke machine...)

Double-edit: Redo your compression test on alll cylinders.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 07-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2005 e46 m3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanE36 View Post
    So I after getting my 328 running properly, I decided to finally swap my S52 cams that have been sitting in my room for about two months. I went into this job with little research, thought it was going to be easy, and without the proper tools(home made ones). Put the car back together a total of 3 times without the proper tools and I already knew that the timing was way off. I finally decided to rent the tools and time the vanos perfectly(so i thought) with a new crank and cam sensors and now there is a shit load of problems. First the car still chugs at idle. Sounds like a hotrod. Second the car will die at idle coming to a stop after driving around for ay least 5 minutes. Almost every stop when I put it in neutral the rpm just drops to zero. With the MAF unplugged the car does not die. Replaced the maf but still dies at idle when plugged in. Possible vac leak maybe? Also there's a strange knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. It goes away after engaging clutch. You can only here it at idle, and goes away whenever i start driving. The only codes that are popping up are cylinder misfires. Cylinder 6 is the main one and 4/5 are intermittent. I checked compression in the cylinders and 5/6 are at zero. Could that be from bent valves due to bad timing? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot really afford to take my baby into an indy shop right now unfortunately due to a high amount of bills . Here of some videos of the problems:

Bad timing/knocking noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpzZJoAHf0U

Knocking goes away after clutch engaged
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyDltdeP9MI

Not sure if this is correcting timing for cams. If the cam timing is correct maybe the vanos is a tooth off?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MN8oGDCPw4
    Hey jordan i have an e46 m3 and im experiencing the same issues that you are having after a cam install, car shuts off when coming to a stop and at idle it sounds like a hotrod as well as the knocking noise coming from the transmission please call me my name is Mike *********** or give me your cell number to contact you. i really want to know if either my cam timing or vanos timing is off and if you resolved your issue, ill be waiting for your call or text. I know this thread is old but Im desperate and need this fixed ASAP, thank you
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 05-21-2016 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Mike, you should start your own thread. The S54 is VASTLY different from an M52, you haven't said anything about having zero compression on some cylinders, etc., etc.

You need to read codes in the engine computer, by the way. And when you write your thread, tell us who did the cam install, whether they used factory directions and factory locking tools to set timing and vanos.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    Did this ever get resolved? I am having a similar issue, except that I used the proper tools and was able to get the engine to turn by hand after it was timed. Turn it over it just runs really rough and made a lot of noise. I retimed it twice with the same results. This is with the MAF off. If I plug it in, it dies promptly.

Compression test shows solid 200-210psi in cyls 2-6, 0 psi in cyl 1.

I'm thinking bent valve and will be taking the head back off to confirm.

S52 motor
    New Schrick 264/256 cams
    New to me Porsche MAF with Turner wiring harness
    New to me 24lb injectors
    Old M50 with TMS adapter (previously on the car with no issues)
    New TMS Shark Injector tune for cams, injectors, intake, and m50 manifold