Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: e36 Overfenders

My Cars
    dakar

e36 Overfenders

I've never really been a fan of the e36 widebody and flare options available so over the past several months I decided to design my own kit. It's inspired largely by s-chassis', rx7s, etc. but intended to complement and flow with the factory lines. In fact the idea was to simply widen the body line without actually changing the style. It took a lot of staring at the car lol and hundreds of hours of shaping and sanding by hand but I am quite pleased with the result.

The kit was designed from day one to be a full quarter rivet-on over fender for the rear and a full replacement fender for the front. What you see in the pics is technically the plug from which I'll pull the mold from. I built it on the car to retain the exact factory lines and other obvious reasons. I can't say exactly how wide they are until we test them on a stock e36 as my fenders were already cut off when I started but the specs pictured are:
    Front:
    18x11 -10
    225/35/18
    factory arms, nothing crazy
    just camber plates and shims

Rear:
    18x11 -5
    245/35/18
    factory camber arms as well

I'm waiting on rear arms to straighten them out, might also bring them down to 235s and go lower out back to complete the look. The front doesn't rub at all even though the lip is mm from the fender but I'd like to do some testing on cars with more angle mods. I could easily run a larger tire up front, and/or bring the offset down though. I'll space them another 10mm tomorrow and check fitment.

In progress:

The gas door indent. Considering a full replacement door, a panel that gets glued/riveted to the factory door, or just rocking the factory door with the indent. Thoughts?

The fenders are not 100% done but they're close. Then I will be making the official mold, make the final part, and rivet her up then going in for paint finally! lol I know the e36 is becoming a popular skidder so I figured I would see if enough people would be interested and I can become a vendor on here. I'm also designing my own aero kit but that's for another time.

BTW I'd love to make this kit for a sedan, so if you have one you're not afraid to cut up, let me know.

My Cars
    e30

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    new meaning of wide 18x11 on a e36

My Cars
    95 M3, 99 528i M, 98 e39
    Love it ollie! cant wait to see finish product! id def be down for a full set!

1995 M3 Vortech Supercharged

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    looks great! Im just curious what you will be able to run with a track alignment and some hoosiers? Keep up the great work!
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    98 332i/98 318ti
    Looks great!

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    How much wider are they? Depending on price I'd be interested in a set.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Dude. I'm in, you can even check sedan fitment on my shiz

Got E46 arms too.

My Cars
    335r
    These are sick! Get me a price!

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I was about to drop off my sedan at the body shop to get rust repaired on the rear 1/4's in time for Bimmerfest but I want this now, hopefully I can still make my deadline for bfest east if you can get me a set out by Monday.

Let me know ollie I need a set asap.

Wait lol I just saw that you said they aren't done yet......

I'll wait, I do want them though.

For me I'd want the indent there it makes the wide body noticeable.

You did a great job making it look oem man I really like the lines!
    Last edited by E36 HateR; 07-03-2013 at 08:38 AM.

My Cars
    335r
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    I was about to drop off my sedan at the body shop to get rust repaired on the rear 1/4's in time for Bimmerfest but I want this now, hopefully I can still make my deadline for bfest east if you can get me a set out by Monday.

+1 on the indent!

My Cars
    E36 vert 5.0 V8 swap
    The line starts behind this guy haha! Can't wait to get them fitted on my vert, Ollie! The e36 chassis has needed something like this for a while and you're executing it perfectly!

My Cars
    dakar
    Thanks everyone. Prepare for the mega quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous06 View Post
    new meaning of wide 18x11 on a e36
    There's plenty room to go wider too. And a lot more room for even more lip. My wheels have a super high disk so my brakes have inches of clearance not to mention the 10mm spacer I'm running.

Quote Originally Posted by HTOWN///M View Post
    Love it ollie! cant wait to see finish product! id def be down for a full set!
    Thanks Cody! I'd love to see them on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by ahardm3 View Post
    looks great! Im just curious what you will be able to run with a track alignment and some hoosiers? Keep up the great work!
    Hey thanks a lot man! Means a lot. I agree about the track alignment and some real tires. It was built around a stretched tire to keep the fitment super tight for the style I was going for. I think a meat set up would be fine with a higher ride height but I'll have to check fitment and post some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroslide View Post
    How much wider are they? Depending on price I'd be interested in a set.
    My estimate is 50-60mm wider than stock. Difficult to say at this point without a factory e36 to reference but I'll measure when my buddy stops over in his stock m3.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    Dude. I'm in, you can even check sedan fitment on my shiz

Got E46 arms too.
    Hell yeah dude. Are you going to be at Lime Rock next weekend? I'd need a car that I can actually chop up and build the kit on so that it fits 100% but I can get a general idea of how much work/time it will need by looking at yours. The front fenders should be easy to convert while the rear will need to have the door line reworked and an indent for the door handle. I keep picturing the wide hips flowing into the doors and I think it might look even cooler than a coupe.

Similar idea:

Quote Originally Posted by M3wishin View Post
    These are sick! Get me a price!
    Will do! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post

Yeah if your car was a coupe Bimmerfest could maybe be possible but I don't want to rush redesigning them for the sedan. We'll get you sorted out soon enough though! Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by M3wishin View Post
    +1 on the indent!
    love the indent my self.

Quote Originally Posted by motocaddy View Post
    The line starts behind this guy haha! Can't wait to get them fitted on my vert, Ollie! The e36 chassis has needed something like this for a while and you're executing it perfectly!
    Hell yes. The wide hips while topless. oh man

I forgot to mention that the rear fenders feature a 1.75" more aggressive rear radius. This means a lot of things. The rear end can go MUCH lower to kill some of the infamous BMW rake which is very apparent on e36s. The rockers can be made to sit much more even on the ground while maintaining even tire tuck (although there is still some rake). It's much easier to fit a meaty tire at a reasonable ride height and also easier to get super low on 18s+ without major tuck. It also means you will have to cut your fender a bit more aggressively than with your typical flare (not an issue). Because the factory fenders hang so low, the oem fenders flow into the rear bumper and lower quarters below the moldings. Since the radius is being raised, your rear bumper and moldings around the fender will need to be shaved down a bit as well as cutting part of the fender below the molding. This means I'm also making a panel to go below the moldings on the quarters to cleanly continue the fender radius to factory sideskirts. All of this will be resolved when I make my aero as it will all flow together but with a stock rear bumper some trimming will be needed. The front radius is factory. I've found that a slammed rear end doesn't hurt performance nearly as much having the front suspension geometry out of whack from being super low. This is why I chose 18s with a factory fender height and "lip low". It makes the car appear very low and tight when it actually doesn't rub or scrape, experience as horrible bump steer, have little damper stroke/ride on bump stops, etc. as I did previously. Most drift cars aren't that low, it's just the fitment and low hanging aero that make some appear so. This kit does just that, making your aesthetic ride height slammed and your functional ride height more conservative. Again, the aero I'm working on compliments this idea exactly. Subframe low and driving 15mph around town is out, "lip low" and driving hard is in.

That was a lot to get across so feel free to ask any questions if anything is unclear.

***If enough people are interested I can make a factory radius version. I personally think the rear radius makes the look though and I spent A LOT of time designing and playing with different fender heights.

My Cars
    92 E36 325is
    id definitely be down for a set as well.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    These look so promising waiting on coupe pricing and availability

My Cars
    Slow e36
    YES!!! im so down, looks awesome. Been looking for something like this ever since i got my e36

My Cars
    LS6 E36 drifter, 18 f350
    I want a set too! Please re-enforce the rear flares so blowing tires doesn't mean blowing up the flares too!!!! Maybe a small piece of steel tube in the lip or something

My Cars
    dakar
    Yeah I'm trying to work that out. The thing is you don't want it too rigid either because then the fenders will crack instead of flex if you rub or kiss the fenders with your wheels and the flex/give is one of the fun parts about FRP fenders when it comes to fitment. It definitely helps to extend your wheel well out to the overfender with some sheet metal or something so it's not all exposed but I agree that a metal strip or something inside the lip could be a good idea

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Yea I figured as much, let me know buddy my body guy can make the coupe work for a sedan most likely because im going to have him mold it to the car for a smooth transition.

You used to kill the stance game when your car was super clean and I remember your old roomate with the volvo talking to me about your car when I had a white coupe, now she has come a long way but I think your car is even more right because of its purpose

Keep doing your thing bro

My Cars
    dakar
    Appreciate it man! I'll let you know if we can get this on your car before Bimmerfest. Might be possible if your body guy is willing to do some work

My Cars
    1993 318i L33 Swapped
    Sweet would be down for a set as well
    1993 318i L33/T56 Swapped Drift Thingy L33 Blew Up Time For LS2

My Cars
    1996 328i
    awesome... in for a set... dope as hell

need these so i can stop rubbing in the rear!

lfaV11W.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

got any idea on price?? might be good idea to start group buy for this...

My Cars
    e30
    You are welcome to cut my car up for a e30 set btw.

My Cars
    07 335i 6mt,M3 drifter
    In for a set as well. Pm pricing

M52B28,S52 cams,UUC UDPs,M50 Manifold,M3 Exhaust,3.23 LSD and rokkor coilovers

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast