BAVToys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 Hella EVO-x projector retrofit DIY to an OEM Hella headlight assembly

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i

E39 Hella EVO-x projector retrofit DIY to an OEM Hella headlight assembly

I thought this would be helpful for anyone looking for an easy upgrade for halogen headlights or factory Xenon. My car is a 2001 530 so the headlights can be opened. The Hella EVO-x is a drop in replacement for any E39. No modifications are necessary!

As the threads for a complete DIY are fragmented, I thought it would be helpful to summarize here I what I found throw my searches:

1) Watch this video, it pertains to a DEPO headlight but the concept for disassembly is the same:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA__8B9fFRM

2) Review this blog, (item 13 pertains to halgoen headlights too except ours shaft piece does not come out. However the ball piece that sits inside the headlights is the same. The photos in item 13 are important to review, see where the ball hooks onto to the lower white plastic holder, this will save you hours of struggling to get the projector out):

http://blog.bavauto.com/1835/bmw-e39...ace-adjusters/

A note, on halogen headlight cars, the piece in the photo above is for the auto level headlight adjustment on Xenon cars. However the same type of piece on our halogen headlights does not come out. Halogen cars do have the same type of ball that holds in the bottom of the projector. You will be able to see it once the Headlight lense is off:

Our looks like this (with the note of "what is the purpose of this post"):

Don't try to remove this piece, you will break it. It looks simple enough to unscrew with your fingers but it won't. Ask me how I know Don't try to remove it, trust me on this! It's as fragile as the headlight adjustors!

The ball referenced in the self adjustor photos above is identical to what sits inside the halogen headlight. The ball sits on the end of this rod inside the headlight. It's important to understand this as the the projector assembly is hooked on to it (along with the two adjusters).

The projector assembly needs to slide to your left if in order for it to detach itself from the ball on halogen cars. It can be a PITA for it to slide off but it does. One of mine came off easy the other was hung up on the Angel Eye cabling inside the headlight. You can see it if you use a flashlight and look behind the projector assembly. (On Xenon cars, you simply remove the screws on the self adjuster and the then slide the self adjustor to your right as referenced in the thread above)

3) Now's a good time to replace your lens covers if you are interested. You can get the Euro clear headlight lenses them from Umnitza or Scmeidmann

4) Order yourself some new headlight adjusters as they are likely broken or they will break when you take the headlight assemblies apart

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270905718262

5) Order yourself 2 new BMW Xenon boots for your new low beams, BMW PN 63126904047. Your Halogen boots wll not work. The boot will slide over the base of your new bulb in order to seal the headlight from the elements. (Thanks Stuck for the advice)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=63&fg=05

As far as all the other parts, here is what I ordered through Andrew at the www.theretrofitsource.com

1x Bi-xenon: Hella EvoX-R: $150.00

1x D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System: $310.00

Wire Harness: Canbus: 9006

Kelvin: 5000K

Ballasts: 35w: Morimoto 3Five (or 50w if you want a brighter whiter light)

Bulb Spec: 35w: Osram D2S CBI (5K only) (Choose a different bulb if you'd like www.hidplanet.com is full of useful info)

1x High Beam Splitters: $10.00
    Model: 9006 male to 9006/9006 Female (this is not listed on their website)

The canbus cable plugs into your low beam connector and then plugs into the ballast. The high beam splitter plugs into you existing high beam and the new connector provided with the Bixenon projector. I mounted the passenger side ballast to the lower headlight mounting screw closet to the turn signal. The drivers side, to the lower headlight mounting screw closet to the radiator

Hope this gives some clarity in one concise thread for someone else to follow.......
    Last edited by fmzip; 06-30-2013 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Ha what unbelievable timing! I have a set of these same projectors sitting on the table right now waiting to be installed tomorrow! Hopefully Pre-Facelift lights aren't too different from facelift units! Great write up and thank you!

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    You are very welcome!

Make sure you have your boots and adjusters.

Nite and day difference, here's Bixenon on fire up in the 530i

Last edited by fmzip; 11-08-2015 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Cannot wait. This is getting me pumped.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    Here's some info on aiming them, haven't tackled that yet:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ighlight=align

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by bfp9 View Post
    Ha what unbelievable timing! I have a set of these same projectors sitting on the table right now waiting to be installed tomorrow! Hopefully Pre-Facelift lights aren't too different from facelift units! Great write up and thank you!
    Did you get the projectors installed? AFAIK the pre-facelift are different and it isin't direct bolt-on like on the facelift lights.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    Here another tip, after you install your new adjusters and install the projector, make sure the projector can be adjusted down fully before sealing them up in the oven and installing them back in the car.

I found out the hard way after I installed them and could get the beam to rise very much at all. What I found was that during reassembly, the projector needs to find it's way behind the round metal clip that is arrowed in this picture. If the projector sits in front of it, it's travel is limited by a good 1/2" which translates into a foot or more when adjusting the lights. You can see if you have this set up correctly by looking in through the back of the headlight housing of the bixenon projector. If the projector housing is in front of this metal ring while viewing from behind, loosen/tighten your adjusters till it finds it's way behind the ring. Visualize the red circle being the projector housing and make certain it sits behind that ring, not in front of it.

And here is how you cut the OEM Xenon boot. Once you install the plug to your bulb, slide the boot around the headlight housing then around the edge of the metal connector

Last edited by fmzip; 11-08-2015 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Force View Post
    Did you get the projectors installed? AFAIK the pre-facelift are different and it isin't direct bolt-on like on the facelift lights.
    Very different. I have taken some good pictures and will hopefully have a DIY for Pre-facelift lights up within the next two days. It isn't for the feint of heart - that's for certain. Drilling and use of dremel required.

My Cars
    2004 330CiC, 2002 530i
    Where did you source the rubber boots? Nobody seems to have any in stock. My local stealer didn't even have the part number in the parts database.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    I always order all my bmw parts from www.ebmwparts.com (or www.getbmwparts.com)

The stealership wanted $30 each! I picked them up for $10 each from the first link. They had to be ordered but ordered on Monday, delivered on Wednesday as they are on the east coast.

- - - Updated - - -

A note to Halogen owners, you need to use the canbus cable I have listed otherwise you will get a bulb out error
    Last edited by fmzip; 07-04-2013 at 10:47 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by bfp9 View Post
    Very different. I have taken some good pictures and will hopefully have a DIY for Pre-facelift lights up within the next two days. It isn't for the feint of heart - that's for certain. Drilling and use of dremel required.
    I'll look forward to it. Are you going to have double high beams or disable the stock highbeam?

My Cars
    01 M5, 97 Cummins
    I'll look forward to it. Are you going to have double high beams or disable the stock highbeam?
    I'm tuned into this thread. My M needs new lenses and adjusters done, and this thread inspired me to do some mods at the same time. My question is what to do with the hologen high beam/Day time running light? I hate the look of mine during the day, with a piss yellow light color and now angel eyes. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Convert the High beam to Xenon and leave the stock low beam...

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    ^^^ I think you need to disable the DRL or get an LED bulb in white for your stock High beams if you want DRL. The stock high beam bulb need not be plugged in if you don't want them
    Last edited by fmzip; 07-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekerbox View Post
    I'm tuned into this thread. My M needs new lenses and adjusters done, and this thread inspired me to do some mods at the same time. My question is what to do with the hologen high beam/Day time running light? I hate the look of mine during the day, with a piss yellow light color and now angel eyes. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Convert the High beam to Xenon and leave the stock low beam...
    Well my current setup is OEM low beam xenon, aftermarket H7 xenon highbeam and led park bulbs. I'm going to install AE's (got em' already just waiting for inspiration to do it). I'm also thinking about upgrading the stock low beam projector to bi-xenon. Would be pretty sweet to have double high beams. Where I live we got quite a few moose crashes so any extra light would be nice.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    I'm also thinking about upgrading the stock low beam projector to bi-xenon. Would be pretty sweet to have double high beams. Where I live we got quite a few moose crashes so any extra light would be nice.
    The stock hi beam halogen becomes non-existent with the bi-xenon, I have them both plugged in as well. I would like to get a highbeam to match the 5000K of the CBI bulbs, any suggestions?
    Last edited by fmzip; 07-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
    The stock hi beam halogen becomes non-existent with the bi-xenon, I have them both plugged in as well. I would like to get a highbeam to match the 5000K of the CBI bulbs, any suggestions?
    As I said I got aftermarket h7 xenons on highbeams, so after the upgrade I'd have double xenon high beams. The high beam upgrade to xenon made real difference. I got Hylux canbus ballast and H7 xenon bulbs made by CN on high beams. They ignite real fast. Even when cold they are as bright as halogens upon ignition and brighten up real fast (few secs). So I see no drawback on using them on high beams.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Just regular high-beams. I'm sure I will wish that I would have hooked up the Bi-xenon at some point but for now I am happy with the result.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    Don't use www.ebmwparts.com anymore.......

They refunded my payment on two different orders after waiting two weeks! Mentioned some BS that they had to reduce their fraud risk with Paypal. They just implemented Paypal as their only form of payment but a few weeks ago.......BS!

Back to tried and true, www.getbmwparts.com !
    Last edited by fmzip; 07-08-2013 at 10:20 PM.

My Cars
    01 M5, 97 Cummins
    Don't use www.ebmwparts.com anymore.......

They refunded my payment on two different orders after waiting two weeks! Mentioned some BS that they had to reduce their fraud risk with Paypal. They just implemented Paypal as their only form of payment but a few weeks ago.......BS!

Back to tried and true, www.getbmwparts.com !
    Paypal does really screw around with businesses. My business has been having tons of problems getting set up to take paypal payment for our website. Not making excuses for them... but it makes sense. I have had good service from Pelicanparts.com, the prices aren't always the cheapest, but good service.

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    They explained that paypal was requesting a lot of financial info that they were reluctant to provide. They also mentioned sller protection wasn't too great particularly if you aren't shipping to a verified paypal addrress. Hence they pulled the plug.

What bugs me is they killed my order after having it for two weeks....I think the should have done their homework before setting up their site for paypal only.

I love pelican parts for certain BMW parts that they have access to like brands. For all others I was going to www.getbmwparts.com for years. Then I stumbled ebmwparts and their prices were significantly less then everyone....

Just an FYI, they are BMW of Peabody Mass. I would stay far away from these guys, left 15 messages for numerous people, had to threaten calling BMW NA in order to get some attention, BS!
    Last edited by fmzip; 07-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.

My Cars
    01 M5, 97 Cummins
    They explained that paypal was requesting a lot of financial info that they were reluctant to provide. They also mentioned sller protection wasn't too great particularly if you aren't shipping to a verified paypal addrress. Hence they pulled the plug.

What bugs me is they killed my order after having it for two weeks....I think the should have done their homework before setting up their site for paypal only.

I love pelican parts for certain BMW parts that they have access to like brands. For all others I was going to www.getbmwparts.com for years. Then I stumbled ebmwparts and their prices were significantly less then everyone....

Just an FYI, they are BMW of Peabody Mass. I would stay far away from these guys, left 15 messages for numerous people, had to threaten calling BMW NA in order to get some attention, BS!
    We just decided not to deploy Paypal because of their ridiculous financial requirements. It sounds like the company needs to get their $#!^ together. I need to get some parts for my rear suspension rebuild and will look into getbmwparts as a cheaper option.

My Cars
    bmw 2010 m3
    I think the should have done their homework before setting up their site for paypal only.

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    Slightly related/unrelated,

I was thinking about doing the evo-xr retrofit into some DJ Autos/ebay hella knockoffs(like rvae34's).

Does anyone know if the projectors would be a direct swap into them since they are both modeled off of hella headlights?

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    ^^^^^

I was wondering the same thing

My Cars
    97 540i/6
    ^^^^^

I was wondering the same thing
    LOL, dern. I really don't want to be the guinea pig. (I currently have Hella facelift headlights, but I wanted clear corners, and my lenses are badly hazed) I asked RVAE34 if he still had the ballast, so I could compare it, but he discarded it long ago.

It's funny you posted this though, I actually went by TRS(they are local) on Monday and bought the EVO-XR projectors monday, while they were offering their 20% off July 4th promotion.
    Last edited by PRO; 07-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast