Thread: '98 M3 Convertible - Considering Purchase... Advice Needed

My Cars
    '99 Jeep Wrangler (for now)

'98 M3 Convertible - Considering Purchase... Advice Needed

All -

I'm new to the forum but figured you would be able to provide the best advice. I've been in the market for an M3 convertible and found what I have been looking for: '98 Titanium silver, 5-speed, 35K miles.

I've checked everything: carfax, dealer records, and the car's clean. Interior is flawless, which is especially nice considering that it's a convertible. My payments will go up a little bit, and the insurance will be about the same.

Here's my major dilemma: service. What does it cost to maintain these cars? I'm guessing the prices at the dealer are a nightmare, even for oil changes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm probably going to have to make up my mind in the next three days.

Later,

Greg

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    they are great cars. some things you want to check are the rear trailing arm bushings (the car will feel floaty in the rear when going around corners) and how the convertible top works. just put it up and down a bunch of times, be sure to get out and look at the top and make sure everything is lined up fine (@ 35k miles it better work perfectly).

nice find though you dont see too many titanium silver 5 spd. verts out there.

shoot us some pics when you get it.

My Cars
    (OLD)'97 M3 Coupe
    Before you buy that one, how much are you paying for it? I have a '99 m3 Vert, Dinan Supercharged, Tit. Silver, 5-speed, modded, well cared for along the way,a nd reinforced, more miles though, 88k, just depends on what you're looking for, definitely hit me up though, maybe we can work something out. I'm not a jerk trying to push my car, just a guy looking to get out of debt, tires/brakes/suspension are all in good shape. Just changed out rotors/pads all around less than 5k miles ago, new shocks in less than 10k ago all around, new rear tires less than 5k ago, fronts have around 10k on them or so, maybe a bit more, still in good shape. Clutch is probably going to be changed out in the next 5-10k miles.
    -Ben

benjamin_hirsch@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Dinanify; 04-22-2004 at 01:22 PM.
    Thanks,
    Benjamin Hirsch
    Track Junky Extraordinaire

My Cars
    1998 M3 Conv, 2004 M3 Conv

Angry my experience

I bought a 98 titanium vert with 30K a year ago. Since then:

- Battery died
    - Passenger door-lock actuator failed
    - Ignition-switch failed
    - Glove-box light keeps falling out
    - Power steering line leaks
    - Giant elastic straps in the roof had to be replaced (forget what they are called)
    - Plastic piece that runs all the way across the inside of the front top came unglued and had to be replaced
    - Plastic battens that hold the inner lining tight wore through and had to be replaced
    - Roof leak spread from one spot above the passenger window to all the way across the front top seal
    - Brake circuit switch failed or got stuck
    - Some bushings in the front (not RTABs) cracked
    - Catalytic converters (or something down there) started to rattle quite a bit

After trolling this board for a while, I notice most of these are typical. If you are set on having an e36 m3, the convertible just doubles the amount of problems you will have. If you are set on having a four-seat vert, there is no better alternative for the same money.

My Cars
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible
    owned mine for a year, have 62k on it now.

problems: brake light circuit

not enough time to drive it during the day.

that's it.....guess I got one made on tuesday :-)
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible
    1997 TL1000S (Daily road, track, touring bike)
    2002 KTM 300MXC (Enduro racer)

GOD - An imaginary friend for Grownups.

My Cars
    99 m3 dinan supercharger

Get it Fun Car

I had my car for 2years

Only problems

None yet ... hopefully
    1999 M3 Silver Vert| /// Dinan supercharger + Dinan intake + Dinan software + Dinan suspension + Dinan exhaust| style 32 wheels | alpina rear spoiler

Daily Diver: 2016 X1 | TBD
    1999 M3 Black Vert sold, 1997 M3/4 Arctic sold, 2007 X3 3.0si M sold, 2011 335i xdrive sold