Thread: Main Crank Bolt LOOSE !

My Cars
    92 325i, 78 Dastun 280Z

Main Crank Bolt LOOSE !

After some looking around, i realized why my 97 M3 didnt have power steering and the alternator wasnt working. The crank pully was totally loose. I was able to rotate it by hand.

However, just tightening the bolt, doesnt seem right. isnt there a crank SENSOR, that depends on the crank being aligned right? Think so.

SO, i looked in the manual, and it says theres a PIN that the pulley and gear looking thing should fit into, which would orient the gear/pulley the correct way.

WELL I CANT GET IT TO FIT IN. I CANT EVEN FIND IT.
    What should I do?
    With this gear totally loose, my car STILL RAN, and not totally all that bad.

Whats going on? is there a crank sensor or not?

Thanks
    Paul

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sensor is at the front. just look to the left of crank pulley and you'll see it.
    It almost touches the teeth.
    The pin is on the back side on the crank and pulley has a small alignment hole into which it fits.
    When I put my URI on, I had trouble finding the proper orientation so you'll need to take all the bolts out and rotate the pulley assembly until it's flush then put one bolt in finger tight to hold it. Try rotating pulley and if it doesn't move your home free.
    Put it directly above where the pin is located then do the same below so it no longer moves.
    Put the rest of bolts in finger tight then tighten in x-patern just as you would a wheel with torque wrench.

My Cars
    92 325i, 78 Dastun 280Z
    From reading archived posts, im realizing theres two parts to this thing. There seems to be the PULLEY, and then the RING that has the teeth for the sensor.

Seems like, pulley bolts to the gear, and then they both are bolted to the crank with the BIG bolt.

On mine, the 6 little bolts are still on tight. The pulley and ring are all one.
    When i pull on them, they slide in and out of the engine. I dont see the pin anywhere.

Is this where you were? or did you simple have trouble bolting the pulley back to the main assembly?

Anyone have any more ideas?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    DON'T TOUCH THAT BIG BOLT!
    The 6 smaller ones is all you need to remove.

My Cars
    92 325i, 78 Dastun 280Z
    The bolt is already loose.
    I just bought the car, very cheap, running with problems. I just towed it home and now im fixing problems.

I need to figure out how to bolt this thing back up.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That thing is on there with 244 ft-lbs. I don't understand how it can be loose.
    That said, pull of the vib damper and pulley and the pin/dowel will be on the crank.

My Cars
    92 325i, 78 Dastun 280Z
    I dont know how, but like I said, it was loose, and I was turning the pulley and toothed gear by hand. it was freewheeling when the engine was on.
    Its so loose, that I undid it all the way and took it out , by HAND. Its a 3" long bolt, about 3/4" in diameter.

So my question is... is there an indication on the TOOTH RING that pops into something on the crank, or is that indication on the PULLEY that bolts to the crank ring.

IF i have unbolted the crank ring, i suspect I will have to bring the engine to TDC somehow, and install the ring/pulley in TDC position. Hopefully its marked.

Can someone please help me out with this? Thank you

Paul

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No need to index the crank. (TDC)
    I answered your question twice earlier about the dowel/pin.
    The pin is on the crank and fits into the hole on the back of vib damper/pulley.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr
    That thing is on there with 244 ft-lbs. I don't understand how it can be loose.
    That said, pull of the vib damper and pulley and the pin/dowel will be on the crank.
    I think that car had an underdrive main pulley on there at some point. Probably removed at some point and the owner never bothered to retighten to 300ft/lbs.

Now come to think of it, I think the car used to have a Powerdyne blower in it at some point farther back. Might explain the pulley change out.
    Last edited by GQ_Style; 04-24-2004 at 03:48 AM.
    PM is full. Do not PM me. EMAIL me to communicate!!

*** SF Bay Area ***
    SRS Light Reset $15 (first 10 ppl, then free after that for everyone)

The only replacement for displacement is technology.

E46 03 325i
    E36 98 M3 Vert
    E36 95 M3
    E36 93 318IS
    E30 89 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Not that it matters, but I thought the S50/S52 had that bolt torqued to 300 ft-lbs and M50 was 244 ft-lbs?

Nevermind, he was talking about a 97 M3 not his 325i.: