Thread: Any recommendations/ideas regarding fuel pumps for a diy turbo setup?

My Cars
    91' 535iM

Any recommendations/ideas regarding fuel pumps for a diy turbo setup?

I'm in the dead center of my 91' 535i turbo project- the manifold is almost completed, and I have the turbo (garret t4), wastegate (evolution), bov (Bosch), oil lines, intercooler, etc... and I just ordered a Cartech fmu. Other than that (and the exhaust, which I'm fabricating out of 3" ss using an appropriate Borla muffler and cat), the only other issue is the fuel supply, specifically the pump and injectors.

Does anyone have any recomendations on a fuel pump for use with the stock pump? Would the stock pump be able to flow enough for a piggy back unit? I was thinking of using the Pierburg pump that Cartech offers- it's priced right, and would allow use of the stock pump according to Mike at Cartech, but he wasn't sure how well the stock pump flows, and if it would be able to keep up with the Pierburg.

Injector type... is something that I'm capable of calculating on my own. I was thinking 30lb but havn't looked into it further. Since I'm still waiting on the manifold, I havn't needed to, really.

Thanks in advance,
    AllanS

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    I've got a fuel pump in my garage from a euro E36 M3 for sale if you were interested in using that for your project

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    91' 535iM
    How much do you want for it? I may be able to use it as the primary, if it's able to flow enough for the Pierburg.

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    I just want what I paid for it. $75 + shipping and it includes the sending unit and some other hoses and stuff. I dont know what the flow rate for it is, but since the euro M3 makes more power, Im sure its rated higher.

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    E23 735i
    I need to check the ETK at home... but isn't the 535i pump the same part as the M5 pump? That would indicate to me that it is capable of supporting over 300HP-worth of fuel, not sure what your needs are.

I'm interested in your project, though, as I'd like to do a DIY turbo on my 535i in the future... did you build your own manifold, if so, what is the design?
    1986 BMW 735i Turbo, 5-speed
    2010 Mazda5
    1966 Corvair Sedan

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I will sell you a walbro 255lph, it is enough for 550hp at the wheels, and will fit in your factory fuel pump location. You dont even have to do any wiring, the factory bmw plug for your fuel pump is the same as the walbro's.

Turbo '99 M Roadster
    11.49@130.4 and 570whp@16psi on a stock m52 shortblock.
    WTB: Low compression M52 pistons & GT30r or 35r
    FS: PT-67 DBB turbo, freshly rebuilt
    PM me with questions.

My Cars
    91' 535iM
    Moadster- email me how much you want for it and any other info- I'm definately interested if it's a drop in replacement. Are you sure it can sustain flow at the kind of pressures present through the use a rrfpr?

MrProject- I bought a set of flanges for the 535i from Stahl, in 3/8" mold steel, and picked up schedule 40 t304 stainless weld els and pipe from McMaster Carr, and 1/2" t304 flanges from a company called Vecco. It's basically a replica of Cartech's manifold in stainless, but I'm mounting the wastegate flange differently. The mistake that I made was in using schedule 40- I think it's a bit too thick, and may end up losing heat due to the thickness, but I was worried about durability, as this is intended as a daily driver. Everything that I can possibly get in stainless steel, will be, except for the header flanges. The Stahl flanges were about 90$, and the tubing from McMaster was bout 120$, so it's going to be significantly cheaper, and hopefully a bit more durable, than a cast iron one.

A friend of mine at work is an experienced welder, as well as a competent machinist- I designed a mockup of what I'm planning in an old version of 3ds max, printed it out, and supplied him with all materials. I can weld myself, but he's a huge degree more experienced than I am, so it was a no-brainer. It's taking forever though, since schedule 40 is apparently difficult to weld, as well as cut.