Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat Reclining Gear : Interest in file for 3D printing?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS

Seat Reclining Gear : Interest in file for 3D printing?

So, after seeing the prices for these tiny little gears ($40+), I wondered if anyone would be interested in creating a file so these could be 3D printed. I have access to some engineering resources and could create the file, I would just need a gear to do it.

My other question is do you think ABS FDM printed gears would hold up?

anyone have a spare gear?

Didn't really know which forum to put this...

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Honestly, I think it's a really good thought... but I doubt that ABS plastic is going to be sturdy enough to hold up long term. What other materials could you use? I know that FDM is rather limited in material selection.....

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    Honestly, I think it's a really good thought... but I doubt that ABS plastic is going to be sturdy enough to hold up long term. What other materials could you use? I know that FDM is rather limited in material selection.....
    only other thing is really PLA. PLA isn't close to the strength of ABS though. I think the plastic would hold, just not the FDM process.

My Cars
    2008 M3 AW on Fox
    Here...... so everyone knows what gears you want to compete with.
    http://www.odometergears.com/product...s+E36+90-00/26

My Cars
    BMW
    the ABS+ that my dimension SST printer uses MIGHT be strong enough..but it's such a pain to change that gear out I wouldn't take the chance.

if you send me the file I will print one for you

My Cars
    95 M3 and 86 535i
    I have access to several types of 3d printers. Send Me a file at difeliciantonio@hotmail.com and I will print some

Go industrial design!!!
    Nicholas diFeliciantonio
    Purveyor of Parts
    95 M3 Alpine on hurricane

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Yeah, if anyone gets a file send it to me as well.... I can try one out of ABS.... and i have an extra seat I can try it in.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    wow, nice guys. Appreciate the offers. Now to get my hands on a gear.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    i dont have a 3d printer but if you give me a print i can have it cast in almost any metal. weve done steel casting but thats over kill, aluminum is the way to go and can be done by anyone with some time and no fear of burning yourself.

let me know because aluminum casting is cheaper then 3d printing plastic once you factor in wear, time, failure rate ect.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
    i dont have a 3d printer but if you give me a print i can have it cast in almost any metal. weve done steel casting but thats over kill, aluminum is the way to go and can be done by anyone with some time and no fear of burning yourself.

let me know because aluminum casting is cheaper then 3d printing plastic once you factor in wear, time, failure rate ect.
    Like the rest of the stuff I do, i'm not looking to make money off this. I just think it's crazy that people are charging $40 for this. That said, i'm not really willing to invest a lot in a mold. If you want to hook up the community, i'm all for that

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Like the rest of the stuff I do, i'm not looking to make money off this. I just think it's crazy that people are charging $40 for this. That said, i'm not really willing to invest a lot in a mold. If you want to hook up the community, i'm all for that
    dude aluminum casting is cheap you can literally melt beer cans in a fire pit and dump them in a mold you make out of home depot crap for a few bucks. thing is you need to scale your 3d print to the shrinkage the casting recives after the metal cools, this is usuaualy lie 5%ish its not much and easly doable in 3d print software.

i deal with this all the time with 3d prints and scans, i send them out to be done and just charge the customer but the reality of this stuff is stupid cheap. google lost plastic casting, its the same as lost wax just not from 500 years ago. i wasnt saying anythign for money but you can cast several hundred gears for not alot of money. you just need to trial and error a few castings to be positive of the sixing change frome eht hot metal as it cools.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
    dude aluminum casting is cheap you can literally melt beer cans in a fire pit and dump them in a mold you make out of home depot crap for a few bucks. thing is you need to scale your 3d print to the shrinkage the casting recives after the metal cools, this is usuaualy lie 5%ish its not much and easly doable in 3d print software.

i deal with this all the time with 3d prints and scans, i send them out to be done and just charge the customer but the reality of this stuff is stupid cheap. google lost plastic casting, its the same as lost wax just not from 500 years ago. i wasnt saying anythign for money but you can cast several hundred gears for not alot of money. you just need to trial and error a few castings to be positive of the sixing change frome eht hot metal as it cools.
    sweet! looks like I have some reading to do.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '72 911
    40 bucks is a fair price for those gears. Unless: You can create a CAD file, (or mold, depending on the process used) source and buy the materials, setup and proof your process, and make the part yourself.

In a half hour.

If you want to spend hours upon hours doing these things just to save $40, have at it. And heck, it might even be fun, and a learning experience. But you won't be saving money.

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    I don't think anyone is saying that making ONE part will save them money. They are wanting to do this to potentially put a cheap part on the market. So someone is willing to sacrifice their time so that other people benefit.

I could easily make the cad model in 10 minutes if I had a gear in front of me. And them throwing it on the 3d printer here at work would be another 5-10 minutes. Plus, I'd be doing it in between projects at work, so it's not a big deal. But that's me and I literally do stuff like this for a living...

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that making ONE part will save them money. They are wanting to do this to potentially put a cheap part on the market. So someone is willing to sacrifice their time so that other people benefit.

I could easily make the cad model in 10 minutes if I had a gear in front of me. And them throwing it on the 3d printer here at work would be another 5-10 minutes. Plus, I'd be doing it in between projects at work, so it's not a big deal. But that's me and I literally do stuff like this for a living...
    You are exactly right. Not sure if you have followed my other projects, but everyone of them is to help the community. I'll take the larger hit to help the greater good.

Kevin,
    I might have one soon. Want me to ship it to you?

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    I would love to not pay $40 for this damn'd gear. That'd be awesomeee.

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    You are exactly right. Not sure if you have followed my other projects, but everyone of them is to help the community. I'll take the larger hit to help the greater good.

Kevin,
    Sure. I'm in the middle of a bunch of stuff, so it might be a week or two before I get the chance to install it- but you can go ahead and send it. Might want to send the 3d file, too. That way I can print it out on the 3d printer here. FDM's like you have are pretty hard to come by in relation to how many plastic-filament style ones are out there. If it works from one of those, it would be ideal.

My Cars
    '95 325i Convertible

Kevin,
    Any chance this 3d model is available? I'd love to try making my own but I can't find a model anywhere.

Brian

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetobo View Post
    Any chance this 3d model is available? I'd love to try making my own but I can't find a model anywhere.

Brian
    Was never able to get the 3d file.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Let me know if someone has one, even broken/stripped. I can model it and 3d print it, or mill it out of aluminum/steel/bronze etc. Heck we even have fiber lasers we can fiber cut the metal or plastic.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Let me know if someone has one, even broken/stripped. I can model it and 3d print it, or mill it out of aluminum/steel/bronze etc. Heck we even have fiber lasers we can fiber cut the metal or plastic.
    I need to replace my drivers side again, PM you address and I will buy 1 and have it shipped to you.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    97 M3
    Very interested in this; I think the one on my passenger seat is out.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    guys, i have my seats removed and wont need them for another month. i could easily remove the gear and ship it out as well. Just let me know. It would save someone the need to buy one.

My Cars
    E36
    guys, i have my seats removed and wont need them for another month. i could easily remove the gear and ship it out as well. Just let me know. It would save someone the need to buy one.
    Did anyone ever complete making these. Im in the same boat.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I need to do both of my seats.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast