Thread: A/C blower motor staying on after ignition off

My Cars
    2001 740i short/sport
    Help please- After getting to work this morning, my blower motor is staying on after ignition off, getting out of car.

I try and read the forum everyday, learning about potential problems I might have one day, however I have not read about this one. I am unable to search while at work, my phone is uncapable.

I tried a few different things, firing up the motor and shutting down the a/c, turning the fan down all the way, etc. And, the fan is staying on. I ended up disconnecting the battery, so I can get home this evening.

Any leads, where to start would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

-ryan
    Last edited by ryanpeter; 06-25-2013 at 03:44 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    Isn't there some kind of timer on one of the setting screens to have a delay of so many minutes for the blower to continue after ignition off? Mostly meant as a heater in winter, I think, but could be in summer too.

My Cars
    2001 740i short/sport
    Definetely not a setting issue. Thanks though.

Something is faulty.

After doing a little searching with google, this problem seems like it is waaaaaaaay over my head.

I think the smartest thing to do, is to have the car scanned. Dang. Neverending!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Don't see that often but my guess would be the Final Stage Resistor mounted on the blower motor or the relay. In your car, fuse 81 covers the relay and motor/resistor. Try unplugging Fuse 20 first. It powers the IHKA (control module). If it's still running, unplug Fuse 81 to cut the power to the blower.

Did it keep happening after you reconnected the battery (battery nap)?

Here is the pin out info. See the Fuse info under my pictures. Your pin out info will be towards the bottom of all the info if you get that keep into it.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=2003822

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    I see this a lot on the e53 and 46 models. It's usually as Mayor said, the fsr on the blower. In the e53/46 its mounted separate. And a lot easier to change.

In the meantime, just pull the fuse.

My Cars
    2001 740i short/sport
    Thanks guys.

Yes, the blower/fan stays on after a nap. I was hoping not, but yes it does.

It does the same with car running, turning down the fan speed all the way until off. The unit turns off, the motors/controls make a few changes but the fan stays running.

=(

My Cars

Update please

Quote Originally Posted by ryanpeter View Post
    Thanks guys.

Yes, the blower/fan stays on after a nap. I was hoping not, but yes it does.

It does the same with car running, turning down the fan speed all the way until off. The unit turns off, the motors/controls make a few changes but the fan stays running.

=(
    Can someone advise how this was resolved? I have the same problem and have temporarily removed the 40A fuse F81 which is in the connection box (the bigger unit the engine fuse box is part of). This has stopped the fan from running continuously but now, of course, I have no blower motor.

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by salaburg View Post
    Can someone advise how this was resolved? I have the same problem and have temporarily removed the 40A fuse F81 which is in the connection box (the bigger unit the engine fuse box is part of). This has stopped the fan from running continuously but now, of course, I have no blower motor.
    your blower motor and or resistor are bad. both are generally replaced at the same time.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Agreed. Fuse 81 powers the K4 relay which powers the blower motor. Your info says you have a 735 so I'm not sure the fuse/relay locations are the same as the 740, but here is a link that shows the locations for the US models.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eral-HVAC-info