Thread: 2006 Mini Cooper S - Not Starting - NEED HELP!

My Cars
    2006 Mini Cooper S

2006 Mini Cooper S - Not Starting - NEED HELP!

Hello,

I am writing this for a friend, and trying to help him get his 2006 Mini Cooper S back up and running. So, here's whats going on.

The motor was rebuilt professionally about 6 months ago. However, my friend had removed the motor, and put it back in himself. The reinstallation of the motor went well, and when he had it back in, he decided to start it up. When he fired it up for the first time, he had no coolant in the system (I believe he was over-anxious ) But, it fired right up, no problem. I was standing there watching, and can verify that it ran for less then 15 seconds.... so I doubt that the engine overheated. He then fired it up for his dad about 10 minutes later, and ran it for another 15 seconds, no issues. So, all was well.

The next day, he put coolant in the system, and was installing the exhaust and other small things. He unhooked the positive cable going to the alternator during working and forgot to hook it back up. When he went to start the car the next time, it sparked as it grounded on the frame. He quickly hooked it back to the alternator, but now the car wont start AT ALL. We have tried nearly everything, and nothing will work. The care with turn over, but won't start.

Here is the list of what we have done this far:

- Sent ECU to a shop that rebuilds them to be looked at, they said something was fried, and repaired it. I'm assuming this happened when the wire sparked.
    - Compression check (good)
    - Reset the ECU
    - Replaced the camshaft position sensor with OEM part
    - Replaced the crankshaft position sensor with OEM part
    - Replaced both TMAP sensors
    - Check for spark (good)
    - Check for good spray of fuel at injectors (good)
    - Replace all injectors
    - Spray starting fluid into intake (no difference noticed)
    - Checked & tested all fuses and relays, even the flat fuses below the fuse box (good)

Also, here is a video of the car trying to start so you can see what it sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWf9X-S66k

At this point, we are completely stumped. We have no idea what to even try and fix next. Obviously, everything was working properly, as it had started twice. If anyone has any ideas, we would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Is it getting fuel and spark?

Could be the fuel pump. We see a lot of them when summer swings around.
    [1999 Z3 M Coupe][2014 X1 Xdrive35i][2000 Range Rover HSE]

My Cars
    2006 Mini Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by BK544E34 View Post
    Is it getting fuel and spark?

Could be the fuel pump. We see a lot of them when summer swings around.

It is indeed getting a spark. I also am nearly certain it is getting fuel as well. The pressure on the fuel rail is good, the injectors are nice and clean. Also, it smells like gas when I take out the plugs after trying to start. When I spray starter fluid in the intake, nothing different happens. If the fuel pump was bad, I would still be getting some reaction when spraying starter fluid wouldn't I?

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    If it's getting fuel and a spark he it will at least "pop" every so often, even if crank or cam sensor is bad. Fuel plus spark mean detonation, no way around that. So I might guess that indeed there is no spark and I would suspect the EWS. The scenario of the sparked out alt cable burning anything out is unlikely. I would be suspicious of some saying it had damaged the ECU.
    So check your spark again! If you have spark and have fuel “pressure” at the rail, then it is possible that your injectors are NOT getting the signal to open at all.
    Just double check spark and fuel pressure at the rail. Then at least if all is OK, you can narrow it down to the ECU not communicating with the injectors.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Lakeober, did you ever find the cause on why it did not start? I am having this exact same problem with my 07 S and have gone down this same part replacement road. However, in my case I was told by GoECU in TX that my DME/ECU could not be repaired so I shelled out $1513 for a new one (reprogramed the car to it) and it still didn't wouldn't start. We have over 30 hours to tshooting & diagnostics into this and now suspect wiring ?
    Thank you!!

My Cars
    2006 Cooper S
    I know this is an old post but I have purchased a 2006 Cooper S and have exact same problem. Only difference this motor was never removed or modded in any way. Was this ever fixed? Any replies would really help me out.

My Cars
    320d
    And what it was? What the problem?