Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active Autowerke no longer offering tunes for competitor's kits

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3

Active Autowerke no longer offering tunes for competitor's kits

Since I had many people tell me my VF kit would run much better on an AA tune, I gave them an email to get some pricing options. What I received back was this:

Sorry but we no longer tune for other companies, we were very successful
    tuning for other SC kits and the word has gotten out.
    We get many request but have decided that we will no longer support other SC
    kits. It is time for the other manufacturers to correct their own problems.
    I would be happy to sell you an AA SC kit with perfect tuning.
    Can't say I blame them whatsoever. Just a heads up to others!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    I wouldn't blame them either. Surprising to see they were even tuning competitors kits.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Damn, lol. What is "wrong" with the VF tuning?

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SLWM3 View Post
    Damn, lol. What is "wrong" with the VF tuning?
    Mainly: garbage idle (rough, dips, etc), inconsistent performance (altitude related most likely). And believe me, I checked EVERYTHING (as they generally won't take responsibility for it until nothing is left to check--not that I really blame them). In general, many users on here have said the AA tune is amazing on the VF kit.

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Calling Jordan ...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    My guess is it is more headache than it is worth. These are all older cars now, often not in perfect condition, owned in some cases by people who do not really know what they are doing, and many have used supercharger kits that are not properly installed. So the tuner gets blamed for problems or spends hours helping someone sort out a car that is all messed up due to no fault of the tuner.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Yep Jordan will sort it out for sure

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    My guess is it is more headache than it is worth. These are all older cars now, often not in perfect condition, owned in some cases by people who do not really know what they are doing, and many have used supercharger kits that are not properly installed. So the tuner gets blamed for problems or spends hours helping someone sort out a car that is all messed up due to no fault of the tuner.
    Well.. yes and no, right? There has to be some give and take. Sure, it very well may be a vac leak somewhere, bad torque specs, etc. But you can't just completely assume it's the owner's fault to a certain extent. That's why I went by the book, changed every single part I touched, and did testing. It's not THAT bad, but the tune really could be better. And it's a headache to work with VF anyway as they won't work on an EWS-deleted ECU. At this point that's all I've got and want to try a fresh start.. hence AA. But I really don't blame them. They probably take on some significant headaches and liability without the fat profit margin of selling their own kit.

My Cars
    Swapped e-Dirty
    Call RKtunes. End of story.
    ar design stage 1 turbo kit - 11.7 @ 127mph 12psi of boost..... 5300ft elevation E36 S50 stock long block w/ARP

sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Rk tunes baby, he'll tune anything you have. /thread

My Cars
    Superchargers
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan15 View Post
    Mainly: garbage idle (rough, dips, etc), inconsistent performance (altitude related most likely). And believe me, I checked EVERYTHING (as they generally won't take responsibility for it until nothing is left to check--not that I really blame them). In general, many users on here have said the AA tune is amazing on the VF kit.
    We're happy to announce that we no longer rely on 3rd party Tuners (not to be confused with AA tuning our kits per request by their customers)

All of our Tuning is now done in-house by VF for VF. I will be posting a thread soon announcing the news: All M3 (e36, e46, e9x) are tuned by VF and have the option of using our Hex Flash cable and suite to upload VF-custom software directly to user's cars saving downtime and shipping costs. Plus, it's just a lot more fun to upload the file yourself connecting to your car through your laptop and you can use it to check/read any type of codes that come up no matter what they pertain to.

Everyone who has experienced these new tunes are very happy.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by VF-Engineering; 06-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Drive Dynamic.
    Audi | BMW | Lamborghini | Porsche | Spyker
    e: sales@vf-engineering.com
    p: 714-528-0066

My Cars
    1998 M3 AA St 2
    Well than whats the problem with getting Stefan who just purchased a brand new kit sorted out.

Dont come in and just pitch your new tunes in a thread where he is complaining about your tunes and not being able to get assistance from you.

Best thing you can do here is help op.

Sent from the vortex of my Rotrex

360+rwhp

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3

Active Autowerke no longer offering tunes for competitor's kits

FWIW VF has been helpful and I'm sure they'd re-tune.. The kicker is that they just only want to work on MY ECU which is EWS locked.

I've got a secondary for this very purpose, to send away while I keep driving (to be clear I'm in Canada, so shipping is $$$ and approx 1.5mo turnaround... In summer)

Still it sounds like there's been some new developments over at VF. Wonder if I can get my secondary o2s deleted.. Hmmm.. Love the idea of the remote tuning (is it 2013 finally?).. Count me in for that!
    Last edited by stefan15; 06-19-2013 at 09:07 AM.

///M Power / 99 M3/2/5, VF V3

My Cars
    1998 e36 m3 SC
    Quote Originally Posted by AA98M3 View Post
    Well than whats the problem with getting Stefan who just purchased a brand new kit sorted out.

Dont come in and just pitch your new tunes in a thread where he is complaining about your tunes and not being able to get assistance from you.

Best thing you can do here is help op.

Sent from the vortex of my Rotrex

Your sure got that right...
    There a HORRIBLE company to deal with.. What really grinned my gears is how they cant provide you with a tech over the phone... You need to email them and wait a week to get a response, If your lucky to even get a email back!!! Most of the time they need the help at that moment, They don't want to wait a week to get a response and have to go back and forth thru email and get no where..Ridicules .. I regret doing any business with this company.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    Quote Originally Posted by true36 View Post
    Your sure got that right...
    There a HORRIBLE company to deal with.. What really grinned my gears is how they cant provide you with a tech over the phone... You need to email them and wait a week to get a response, If your lucky to even get a email back!!! Most of the time they need the help at that moment, They don't want to wait a week to get a response and have to go back and forth thru email and get no where..Ridicules .. I regret doing any business with this company.
    It's definitely frustrating to email for simple questions. What I will say is the guy over there, JM, answers his phone at ungodly hours.. pretty nice of him. So I didn't wait weeks, more like hours. Honestly my main issue with VF is the resistance to re-tune (which I actually DO understand given the chances to mess up the install) and the fact they won't tune ECUs that are not locked to EWS.

Jordan definitely seems like the go-to, trusted and proven. My local mech is my trusted advisor and has nothing but good things to say.

@VF what gives! Somewhat choked I wasn't sent a hex cable back with my ECU last month! :P glad to see you guys are stepping up though.
    Last edited by stefan15; 06-18-2013 at 12:10 AM.

My Cars
    Superchargers
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan15 View Post
    It's definitely frustrating to email for simple questions. What I will say is the guy over there, JM, answers his phone at ungodly hours.. pretty nice of him. So I didn't wait weeks, more like hours. Honestly my main issue with VF is the resistance to re-tune (which I actually DO understand given the chances to mess up the install) and the fact they won't tune ECUs that are not locked to EWS.

Jordan definitely seems like the go-to, trusted and proven. My local mech is my trusted advisor and has nothing but good things to say.

@VF what gives! Somewhat choked I wasn't sent a hex cable back with my ECU last month! :P glad to see you guys are stepping up though.

Thanks, Stefan. I spoke with the Technical dept for you. I need to make a correction to my previous post that OBD1 M3's are not yet compatible with the cable. We only have a few standard files for the variations of OBD1 ECU's and we cannot meet all custom requirements due to the restrictions inherent to those specific ECU's. I will definitely let you know when we are able to provide you a cable and give you more info on a retune for you.

Regarding Technical emails, we are very well aware of the need for prompt responses. You may realize that with the various applications across different models and makes we offer superchargers for (not counting the systems that are no longer available which we still provide support for) there are even more individual parts for each of those kits.

In our experience, we've found that verbal tech support leads to mistakes and confusion. We use email to assure accurate and proper Tech support is provided for everyone. With that in mind, we're continuing to make improvements internally to decrease response time. At the moment, myself in Sales am open to taking Technical inquiries which need immediate attention and bringing them directly to the Technical dept to assist. We welcome everyone's input! Thanks!

-Robert

Drive Dynamic.
    Audi | BMW | Lamborghini | Porsche | Spyker
    e: sales@vf-engineering.com
    p: 714-528-0066

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I guess that explains why AA stopped answering emails over my tune and claimed to have "no record" of it ever being purchased through them lol.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    Quote Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post
    Thanks, Stefan. I spoke with the Technical dept for you. I need to make a correction to my previous post that OBD1 M3's are not yet compatible with the cable. We only have a few standard files for the variations of OBD1 ECU's and we cannot meet all custom requirements due to the restrictions inherent to those specific ECU's. I will definitely let you know when we are able to provide you a cable and give you more info on a retune for you.

Regarding Technical emails, we are very well aware of the need for prompt responses. You may realize that with the various applications across different models and makes we offer superchargers for (not counting the systems that are no longer available which we still provide support for) there are even more individual parts for each of those kits.

In our experience, we've found that verbal tech support leads to mistakes and confusion. We use email to assure accurate and proper Tech support is provided for everyone. With that in mind, we're continuing to make improvements internally to decrease response time. At the moment, myself in Sales am open to taking Technical inquiries which need immediate attention and bringing them directly to the Technical dept to assist. We welcome everyone's input! Thanks!

-Robert
    Fair enough. And yeah JM was pretty solid about emailing me at all times of the night.

However, I do have an ODB2 ECU though. So I would absolutely benefit from remote tuning. Seems like it would have been a good idea to send it with the initial ECU tune! Keep me posted.

Edit: here's my install notes for anyone interested (your instructions were... not the best)
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1999935
    Last edited by stefan15; 06-20-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    This is exactly why I stopped tuning Nissans. The factory ECU tuning scheme made it stupidly easy to get the fueling correct, so it was obvious the problem was engine/hardware related on their end when they'd be complaining of rich AFR and things like that. I even had one guy that couldn't get his car started who after about 6-7 hours of troubleshooting it turns out had connected his FPR return line on a vacuum nipple of his intake manifold. Yea, the car doesn't start great when it's hydrolocked with gas...

That was the last car I bothered with outside of friend's cars.

For every trouble free tune I did where the owner raved of how reliable and smooth the car was on track, I'd get 3-4 nightmares of troubleshooting stuff that was just painfully basic and not at all related to the tune.

So I don't blame AA. It's very easy to blow through hours and hours, and the last thing you want to do is abandon somebody after troubleshooting the problem for hours on end, but some people should probably just be taking their car to a shop since they don't have the knowledge or attention to detail to tackle the projects they're getting into.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    This is exactly why I stopped tuning Nissans. The factory ECU tuning scheme made it stupidly easy to get the fueling correct, so it was obvious the problem was engine/hardware related on their end when they'd be complaining of rich AFR and things like that. I even had one guy that couldn't get his car started who after about 6-7 hours of troubleshooting it turns out had connected his FPR return line on a vacuum nipple of his intake manifold. Yea, the car doesn't start great when it's hydrolocked with gas...

That was the last car I bothered with outside of friend's cars.

For every trouble free tune I did where the owner raved of how reliable and smooth the car was on track, I'd get 3-4 nightmares of troubleshooting stuff that was just painfully basic and not at all related to the tune.

So I don't blame AA. It's very easy to blow through hours and hours, and the last thing you want to do is abandon somebody after troubleshooting the problem for hours on end, but some people should probably just be taking their car to a shop since they don't have the knowledge or attention to detail to tackle the projects they're getting into.
    I agree...but it goes both ways.

Plenty of times, people have hardware issues that they blame on software.

But I have also experienced times when the Tuner just wants to skirt blame and keeps putting as anything BUT the tune.

I came from tuning Saabs and the biggest tuner of them all was Nordic.

I had big money invested in a Nordic tune, $1500 in just the software from my authorized Nordic dealer who I had spent $5-6-8k with easily.

Car ran pretty well. It developed an odd issue where at low low speed like coming to a stop, it would stall. Could have been a hardware issue but it could not be found, passed smoke tests, no leaks.

The way of diagnosing this would be with a Tech2. Low and behold, the Tech2 would not communicate with the ecu. I was told from Nordic, it happened sometimes on '99 model years. My retailer claimed maybe I was going about it wrong with the Tech2, I should have gone in as a year 2000 car, which we tried(my friend with the Tech2 was a Saab tech) or even as a Saab 9-5 instead. Tried all of it. Maybe he was not using the latest Tech2 software he said. Nope, that was not it either.

Finally I gave a brand new spare ECU to have Nordic try updated tunes. I got it in the car it would idle great and then would not build boost-like it was in a limp home mode. This happened with two of their attempted fixes. Each time I put my original ECU back in, yep car ran fine. Finally my emails were no longer returned and my spare ECU was never even sent back to me. How do I diagnose the car if I cannot hook it up to the proper diagnostic equipment.

Here I am again with a AA tune. It runs quite well all things considered. It runs like crap the first 3 minutes before warmed up, would throw some ghost missfire CEL that was checked to be false, but whatever. But for years now, I can't pass inspection with it because it gives me a "readiness" failure. All of my sensors and equipment are intact. Ever since this tune, yep, no NJ State equipment can check all of the sensors for a pass, instead its a readiness failure as if maybe I just put in a new battery. So here I am with a out of date sticker on my car and AA giving me the run around via email that somehow there is no record of my tune on file.

I dunno, a bit of deja vu.

Some of it can be hardware related, and I know better than to blame the tuner. But sometimes the blame DOES lie at their feet.
    Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 06-19-2013 at 05:35 PM.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I will throw my .02 in... I bought my supercharger from their end of the days sale back in december. Received my kit in February after it was all built. I first started the install and had issues lining up the supercharger. I had a 140a alternator and there was NO WAY to instal the supercharger with this alternator. I called several times and explained the issue and they kept replying that they have never had an issue with the supercharger lining up for 9 years. I told them that this is an issue and I was grinding down the casing to try to fit They tell me to clock it. Nothing would help. I had to buy an 80a alternator and it lined up correctly to install the charger finally.

- I would sure love to get reimbursed for having to downgrade my alternator for the so called "direct bolt on kit".

Anyways after that issue was resolved the next issue was lining up the intake pipe. Heating it up would help and there was no way it was citing. So VF sent me another pipe and that one went on better. Lastly I got the kit completely installed and then the car wouldn't start. No fuel pump no spark. So I checked everything and figured it had to be the tune. So I talked to Jeff and he said that since my OBD1 converted s52 had EWS delete I need to cute the wire for pin 66. I found that wire and cut it. Still nothing. So Jeff sent me 2 new chips to try. So I waited a few days for that to come in. Popped the new chip in and the car fired right up. The car idles fine. Im not having any issues with rough idles yet and I'm higher in elevation than most on here 7100ft.

Overall exteriance is so so. I am not happy it took me a LOOOONG time to get my car running. It felt like I was piecing a custom kit. Im also not happy I had to chop up my alternator to try to fit the kit and then ended up buying another alternator for it to work.

As far as customer service. I called VF mostly to talk to Jeff about issues. I was most successful around 5pm to talk and dont even try on fridays cause technical must leave early and the front desk wont help.

My experience with Jeff was good. He answered my questions helped my pinpoint issues and get me parts when needed.

My Cars
    97 M3, 85 318i
    Bret from technica sent me my tuning solution. If you're obd2 and far away from rk, its another route I suggest

Custom Stage 3-ish RMS supercharged E36 M3/4/5
    Frankenstein e30 318i commuter

My Cars
    07 335i
    If any one is looking for a off the shrlf or custom tune the best two ways to contact me are.
    Cell . 516.233.9565
    Email. Jordan@rk-tunes.net
    RK tunes

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The old saying is accurate -- where one door closes, another door opens. It is great there are other tuners willing to step in and fill this obvious need.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    I agree...but it goes both ways.

Plenty of times, people have hardware issues that they blame on software.

But I have also experienced times when the Tuner just wants to skirt blame and keeps putting as anything BUT the tune.

I came from tuning Saabs and the biggest tuner of them all was Nordic.

I had big money invested in a Nordic tune, $1500 in just the software from my authorized Nordic dealer who I had spent $5-6-8k with easily.

Car ran pretty well. It developed an odd issue where at low low speed like coming to a stop, it would stall. Could have been a hardware issue but it could not be found, passed smoke tests, no leaks.

The way of diagnosing this would be with a Tech2. Low and behold, the Tech2 would not communicate with the ecu. I was told from Nordic, it happened sometimes on '99 model years. My retailer claimed maybe I was going about it wrong with the Tech2, I should have gone in as a year 2000 car, which we tried(my friend with the Tech2 was a Saab tech) or even as a Saab 9-5 instead. Tried all of it. Maybe he was not using the latest Tech2 software he said. Nope, that was not it either.

Finally I gave a brand new spare ECU to have Nordic try updated tunes. I got it in the car it would idle great and then would not build boost-like it was in a limp home mode. This happened with two of their attempted fixes. Each time I put my original ECU back in, yep car ran fine. Finally my emails were no longer returned and my spare ECU was never even sent back to me. How do I diagnose the car if I cannot hook it up to the proper diagnostic equipment.

Here I am again with a AA tune. It runs quite well all things considered. It runs like crap the first 3 minutes before warmed up, would throw some ghost missfire CEL that was checked to be false, but whatever. But for years now, I can't pass inspection with it because it gives me a "readiness" failure. All of my sensors and equipment are intact. Ever since this tune, yep, no NJ State equipment can check all of the sensors for a pass, instead its a readiness failure as if maybe I just put in a new battery. So here I am with a out of date sticker on my car and AA giving me the run around via email that somehow there is no record of my tune on file.

I dunno, a bit of deja vu.

Some of it can be hardware related, and I know better than to blame the tuner. But sometimes the blame DOES lie at their feet.
    True. The diagnostics side of stuff is a little more difficult, but I was only tuning OBDI and pre-OBDI Nissan ECUs which are pretty foolproof. The factory even puts in the method to read off their "engineering data port" on all the ECUs.

I just think sometimes people view the "tuner" as a perpetual tech support line about their setup, and it gets old quick when you're quickly chasing down issues that are so far removed from your tune (like vacuum hose routing) that you're well beyond "working for free."

You seem pretty knowledgeable, and some tuner do drop the ball - so I'm not saying everybody is innocent once they know how to change some values in a fuel/ignition table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast