Thread: Few interior upgrades on my 8er with pix

My Cars
    not enough

Few interior upgrades on my 8er with pix

Past few weeks I've been working in some interior stuff for my 8, I'm pretty much done so I snapped a few pix.

EML switch - only lighting was wired for now, I have a plan to make this work toggling between stock EML setting and a Wokke chip.

PDC switch - I still haven't sourced a connector for this switch yet so it's just sitting pretty. It will eventually control the OEM front PDC system I will wire to the 8.

Sun shade switch - switch, lighting and wiring all in place...just need to buy and install the actual sunshade unit.

Seat heater switches were moved from the sides of the seats to the center console. Down the line I'm probably moving the alarm LED to the triangle cover where the OEM cellphone microphone is housed and I'll use the space in the center console for an RDC switch....which I will hopefully try to use an OEM RDC system (tire pressure monitoring system).

I also installed my sport seats and in the side opening I installed BMW USB/Aux sockets.

CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    e93 3.20d / 96'' 8.40cia
    great job with the aux/usb
    1996 BMW 840Cia 91kmiles . blue / black interrior - daily driver
    2011 BMW 320Cd convertible 16kmiles - sold but not forgotten
    2001 BMW 320Ci 77kmiles . silver/ gray interrior - ex daily driver,also sold but not forgotten

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Nice job. Don't be shady - Buy my shade.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post

OMG, I didn't even think of that location for the audio input! Genius!

Nice buttons overall

My Cars
    91 850i
    Does anything happen when you push any of those buttons?

Just kidding...great job!
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Nice job. Don't be shady - Buy my shade.
    haha nice play on words....I have you in mind my friend, just some stuff has priority before justifying the cash for the sun shade.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    Does anything happen when you push any of those buttons?

Just kidding...great job!
    haha, really Mike? You know you want that EML button

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh...and i forgot about this, Euro foglamp switch & headlight leveling sensor....also not working yet . It's all pieces to a big puzzle...they will all be working soon!

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Past few weeks I've been working in some interior stuff for my 8, I'm pretty much done so I snapped a few pix.

EML switch - only lighting was wired for now, I have a plan to make this work toggling between stock EML setting and a Wokke chip.

PDC switch - I still haven't sourced a connector for this switch yet so it's just sitting pretty. It will eventually control the OEM front PDC system I will wire to the 8.

Sun shade switch - switch, lighting and wiring all in place...just need to buy and install the actual sunshade unit.

Seat heater switches were moved from the sides of the seats to the center console. Down the line I'm probably moving the alarm LED to the triangle cover where the OEM cellphone microphone is housed and I'll use the space in the center console for an RDC switch....which I will hopefully try to use an OEM RDC system (tire pressure monitoring system).

I also installed my sport seats and in the side opening I installed BMW USB/Aux sockets.

Ooooo, I LIKE that. I'm writing it down now.

My Cars
    not enough
    I'm going to do a little more HW on other types of USB/Aux sockets. Ideally I'd like to find one similar to this but with a small sliding cover for the USB port that shields it when it's not in use and with lighting. The other types I've seen have one thing but not the other.

My other projects:

My Cars
    ---
    I'm going to do a little more HW on other types of USB/Aux sockets. Ideally I'd like to find one similar to this but with a small sliding cover for the USB port that shields it when it's not in use and with lighting. The other types I've seen have one thing but not the other.

Where does this USB/AUX kit connect to? What is it exactly?

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by harvardpark617 View Post
    Where does this USB/AUX kit connect to? What is it exactly?
    I have one socket on each seat. The USB is wired to the cigarette lighter circuit only for voltage to charge mobile devices via USB port.

Aux port will be wired to the Aux input in the head unit for when I use my phone for audio. I have an Ipod connection in the glove box for when I use that with the head unit controls.

My other projects:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Kicking this up, as it's the only reference to RDC I could find.

The e31 etk shows the rdc switch, but no e31 etm I can find, all US versions, show no RDC schematics. Did the e31 get this function, or am I chasingba ghost?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Sports Seats better pix and source for aux/usb thingamajig, Please!) I have the same seats but driver side could use a spot re-dye.

My Cars
    1994 840Ci - M60, 6MT
    Interested in seeing the location of your front park sensors.

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Kicking this up, as it's the only reference to RDC I could find.

The e31 etk shows the rdc switch, but no e31 etm I can find, all US versions, show no RDC schematics. Did the e31 get this function, or am I chasingba ghost?
    I don't think it's a ghost, but close to. The e31-specific Reifendrukkontrolle system never saw production. In my reading, I believe only a few pre-production cars got the experimental system. I also recall the system (as in other options) borrowed pieces from the 7 series systems of the time. I have notes somewhere of my search and I had planned to use custom wiring to make the 7 series system work.

Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Sports Seats better pix and source for aux/usb thingamajig, Please!) I have the same seats but driver side could use a spot re-dye.
    I'll search for the PN and send it to ya. However, after I did mine I found that there is another similar switch that has a dust "gate" or cover for the USB port so that it's not just out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by tangcla View Post
    Interested in seeing the location of your front park sensors.
    I haven't gotten around to any work on PDC but I do recall seeing an Alpina 5.7 which had FACTORY fitted front PDC. I believe it only had two sensors mounted in the euro front tag bracket. I had planned to do something similar. What alpina did was use the same PDC kit for the rear and installed one for the front with the PDC control module mounted in the engine bay.

My other projects:

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    I second that....great spot!

Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    OMG, I didn't even think of that location for the audio input! Genius!

Nice buttons overall

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I don't think it's a ghost, but close to. The e31-specific Reifendrukkontrolle system never saw production. In my reading, I believe only a few pre-production cars got the experimental system. I also recall the system (as in other options) borrowed pieces from the 7 series systems of the time. I have notes somewhere of my search and I had planned to use custom wiring to make the 7 series system work.
    Ha yes I found an article yesterday telling exactly that. Interesting as the switch can be ordered, I received mine last week. The OpenOBC project is coming along and a friend of mine already implemented tyre pressure/temp readout on it.
    When doing mine, I'll use the E31 RDC switch to call up the menu. At least that is the idea.

Looks like the E38 system isn't too hard to retrofit either. So many ideas...

IG:

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Ha yes I found an article yesterday telling exactly that. Interesting as the switch can be ordered, I received mine last week. The OpenOBC project is coming along and a friend of mine already implemented tyre pressure/temp readout on it.
    When doing mine, I'll use the E31 RDC switch to call up the menu. At least that is the idea.

Looks like the E38 system isn't too hard to retrofit either. So many ideas...
    If memory serves for my RDC & PDC projects (e38 has front & rear PDC with one control module) what I found to be the biggest hurdle using e38 pieces was dealing with the data cables - the bloody i bus, or k bus or some sort of bus ...but doing some reading I stumbled upon someone who I think just grounded one cable and it solved the issue. Please please please keep us posted if you make any progress! I just haven't had the time to keep digging for info and implementing tests.

My other projects:

My Cars
    1994 840Ci - M60, 6MT
    I'm interested in retrofitting PDC to my car - at least rear but front would be good too. Should I be starting with an E34 kit? Or E32, or E38?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Busses are no problem. It's not like there is a module that 'makes' ibus or kbus.

If both or applicable modules speak the same language, no problem. E36's guys have retrofitted tons of e38/e39/e46 stuff.

I have a fully working M MFL wheel in my E36. No mods, just using only e38/e39 parts. Radio, cruise control and phone. The e38/39/46 cruise brain has much better logic/resolution. I don't even feel it engaging (after coding to S50B32 with SMG(1) engine).

My car has factory PDC so not touching that. I did fit a PDC switch, which now lets me turn on or off auto radio-mute when PDC is activated/reverse selected.

And since the CD43 is ibus as well and connected to phone and mfl as well, it will even display the phonebook on the radio.

All this cool stuff with 100% factory look.

IG:

My Cars
    1996 328i, 1993 Dinan7, 1990 325is, 1989 325is, M5
    I am very interested in this comment by MParallel about fitting a PDC switch to a factory installed PDC to control radio-mute. I have many more connections to the PDC module than I have information for, and would like features like this.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by MacVaugh View Post
    I am very interested in this comment by MParallel about fitting a PDC switch to a factory installed PDC to control radio-mute. I have many more connections to the PDC module than I have information for, and would like features like this.
    Found this older reply. Basically it has noting to do with the PDC directly. I'm using the reverse light wire "on" to trigger the radio mute (which needs ground, so there is a relay in between). Same way the autodimm mirror know reverse is on.

IG:

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    This is what I have. If you don't have a slot on the seat or console, a guy in Germany makes these - they replace the ashtray.

E31 usb 1.jpgE31 usb 2.jpg
    Last edited by rogbmw; 11-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors