Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farm fresh find...what is it?

My Cars
    BMW 320i / VW GTI 1.8T
    Quote Originally Posted by erikerikerik View Post
    So...anyone know rules / laws about cars that have been sitting around for 10years, no title and the last known owner died 9 years ago?
    I know in CA you can put a 30 day lean on the car to get a new tittle.
    1980 e21 320i
    2002 VW GTI 1.8T
    1996 Jeep GC 5.2L V8

My Cars
    BMW 1982 E21
    Take it and sell Recaro seats to me for cheap lol

My Cars
    '82 320i, '86 Jetta,
    I''m intrested in buying the subframe and motor mounts. I'd working on my own M20B25 swap, and that would be a lot easier then making my own mounts.

My Cars
    320i
    Welp, I'm guessing it's a rep.
    Thanks playing folks... Should I take it? It was offered free to me.
    Yes, you should. It would be a neat car to clean up and get running. If that's too daunting, the parts, as mentioned, will sell. But get it running and drive it!

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    image-3732908687.jpg

So, is this a generic bumpe?
    I know nothing about e21's.
    30 and 36's sure, but no e21.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    yea, that's a standard euro bumper, tell us about the e24 sitting next to it.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    1982 323i, 1997 318iS
    I think that plate is just the importer's plate. Remember, 323i's were all gray market because BMW never brought them into the U.S. Also, plugging that VIN into RealOEM shows it was manufactured in 2/80, not 2/82.

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D
    yea, that's a standard euro bumper, tell us about the e24 sitting next to it.

image-2198071556.jpg

It's a 79, looks like it was debaged years and years ago.

image-2158617090.jpg

Look at that intake, ITB!!! holy crap! (or at least it looks like it)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I have more curve balls to throw at you..
    Depending on the Vin Decoder, its 81 or 82. Even though the hand etched vin says 10/80.

I present you this

2 more shots in the link
    http://imgur.com/a/buVnv

So, Here is what I think it is. I think its actually NOT an Alpina. but is instead a 1981 French e21 M323i that was badgered to look like a Alpina.

Now the importer for some reason federalized the car to a 10/80 date. No idea why, but that was done 30'odd years ago.

What do you guys think? Grey market M?

My Cars
    79 323i, 92 335iC
    This is probably just me, but I don't see the window frame on the picture of that door, just the window. The car reminds me a lot of my badge engineered 323i.

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    I hate to kill your dream again but I really don't think it's an 'M' E21. I've never actually seen one of those in person or even in pictures. The only place I've seen them is in that old german ad. Just a plain old 323i is a pretty good find and definitely worth restoring, especially if you're getting it for free. The alpina badge on the glove box is probably a knock-off, and the sticker on the rear definitely is, but those wheels look legit and even if they aren't they're still worth $$.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fauxpina View Post
    This is probably just me, but I don't see the window frame on the picture of that door, just the window. The car reminds me a lot of my badge engineered 323i.
    That picture is of the E24, not the E21

My Cars
    79 323i, 92 335iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
    Well that explains things.

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Quote Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
    I hate to kill your dream again but I really don't think it's an 'M' E21. I've never actually seen one of those in person or even in pictures. The only place I've seen them is in that old german ad. Just a plain old 323i is a pretty good find and definitely worth restoring, especially if you're getting it for free. The alpina badge on the glove box is probably a knock-off, and the sticker on the rear definitely is, but those wheels look legit and even if they aren't they're still worth $$.

- - - Updated - - -

wops, by M, I should say "edition M" as its the only one with that style of tail light. Not to be confused with "M-class"
    Any'who bed time!

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Take the free offer. I will take the wheels for free but I will gladly pay postage. You don't need those damn bulky items laying around your house. On second thought, I will throw in $100 for a handling fee as well. Thanks for everything!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 535iS
    The front wheel is an Alpina wheel, 15" would be my guess.
    The steering wheel is a vintage BMW factory accessory.
    The VIN plate in the door jamb was standard issue during the gray market era of the 80's. It was required when the cars were federalized and brought into the US. There were several importers such as Hardy & Beck in Berkeley, and some in Texas as well as southern california.
    Funny that the vin plate for federalization shows a build date of 10/80 yet the VIN decoder shows 2/82 as the date of manufacture, although I believe in some cases that importers who were sneaky would place an earlier build date to escape tougher emissions standards.
    The alpina placque on the glovebox door is a genuine alpina part but was sold by both Miller & Norburn, Dietel Enterprises, and Hardy & Beck through their catalogs. Most people put them on the center console or dash and even on the trunklid. I did not see the brass dash placque with the Alpina logo and build number which would have been placed over the red seat belt piece on the passenger side of the dash.
    Do you have pictures of the trunklid as well as the underside of the trunklid?
    shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Quote Originally Posted by ascot View Post
    Do you have pictures of the trunklid as well as the underside of the trunklid?
    shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

The spoiler is tagged BBS, on the side you cant see but there is fadded pin stripping

No key, couldn't get into the trunk.

The tail light configuration is what makes me think is the "Edition M" that someone tried to rebrand as alpina because it does have factory recaro seats (in blue?) with matching blue interior?

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Here is the other pic from that link, in case others are too lazy to click:

Not sure what else you were looking for from the trunk lid ascot, but will for sure need another pic of the inside of the trunk since I'm not seeing one of those yet.

The Edition M cars are sorta strange. They are classified as a particular edition, but I was pretty sure that everything on them was an option when buying a non-Edition M car. Would have to go back and re-research that, been a while since I read through all that initially. Not trying to burst your bubble on it being an extremely rare euro car, but as already mentioned, at the end of the day it is still a euro model here in the States with a motor we didn't get and nice wheels.

But yeah, this is for sure something to grab and play with, considering the price. I would beg/borrow/steal whatever type of transport needed to get the thing in my hands, if the land owner is looking for it to be gone. Same with that e24. Of course this is assuming you have the room to play with these where you are. Sorta hard to put either of these on the street.

BTW, you were asking about the title before. If they were in the name of someone who died, the next of kin can request for a title transfer from the DMV, main things you need are the title in-hand with the prior owner's name and a death certificate for them. Obviously this doesn't do you much good directly if you aren't a relative, but if they are willing to go through the effort, that is the easiest and totally legal route. If they aren't willing to go through all that effort (and it took me several trips to the DMV starting with none of this info when xfer'ing something from my deceased uncle), then you may want to ask at the DMV how you can go about this. Explain the situation, letting them know (as I understand what you've been saying) that you are a friend of the family of the deceased, they aren't willing to deal with the DMV but are going to give you the car. You may still need a legal copy of the death certificate from them to do this, since otherwise how does the DMV really know that the person is dead?

Something else you might need to look into BTW is whether the cars (talking about the e24 here too, just in case were put into Planned Non-Operation at all. If not, there are MASSIVE late fees/penalties against both of those cars in the DMV system. You may be able to get a bunch of those waived with the death certificate showing the date of death and that no other DMV mail was responded to after that, but I'm not sure, never had to deal with that aspect of this type of thing. If there are tons of late fees and they can't be waived, then it might not really be worth trying to get the cars road worthy again as those chassis. I'm not trying to say that you should do any crafty and not-so-legal VIN swapping, but stranger things have happened. There's also just the pure part-out route as well, or xfer'ing parts to cars you have (or might buy to put them on).
    Last edited by uberpanzer; 06-15-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    No bubble burst. At the very least it's a true euro in the us.

On the e21 forums (from what I read) the spoiler being BBS was not an option.
    But the biggest thing are those joined tail lights. I've looked high and low for other examples of those.

And oh Lordy I forgot about those late fee's.

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    The tail light in the center isn't a tail light. It is just the same red reflector type as the tail markers but without a light inside. I've seen them saying BMW, 323i, ALPINA, and BAUR. They were an aftermarket part as well as factory available, but not exactly common. Some people really liked the way it tied the lights together, others liked that it wasn't the US black plastic section, while still others like the euro-style with no insert (just body showing through). And again, that one part doesn't point to it being a specific car, since you could pick them up back in the day if you had the money and will to do so. Last time I saw one for sale was actually at a local euro import parts store here in San Diego. Everyone has their own tastes for looks, so if you like the way that piece looks, more power to you to go get this thing!! (...and hope someone at the DMV waives the fees, but not likely)
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    It's also possible that the car is no longer in the DMV's system, which would be great for you because any late fees are forfeited. After several years of inactivity cars are dropped from the system. You have to be very careful in this situation because the DMV will try to screw you (they did this to me a few years ago). When you go into the DMV to ask them what the situation on the car is, they will tell you that you need to first start the title transfer process before they can tell you if fees are due or if it's even in their system. Do not do this! In doing so, you're 'reactivating' the vehicle in their system, and you will be responsible for all fees, current and past due. You'll have to try to get the information without starting the title transfer process, either by sweet talking the DMV clerk or by having the owner or their family contact the DMV directly. If the car is still in the system, I would try a lien sale or find another legal loophole to jump through. If it is not in the system, they'll give you several forms to fill out and bring back to get the car titled in your name.

I recently had to deal with a title issue at the DMV and ended up going to 4 different locations. 3 of them were in urban/suburban areas and the employees were rude, rushed, and actively tried to be as little help as possible. The fourth was in a more rural area outside of Sacramento and everyone inside was smiling and actually tried helping people out. So I strongly recommend driving as far as you have to to find a DMV away from any major cities.

My Cars
    mine, not robert's
    So...anyone know rules / laws about cars that have been sitting around for 10years, no title and the last known owner died 9 years ago?
    submit a lost title application with your name as new owner, add a CA statement of facts saying that the car has been sitting on your property for at least x amount of years, was left there by unknown person, car is worth $?.oo and has no liens on it. You will also need to give up any plates that are still on it and get a vehicle verification done at the dmv or pay a vehicle verifier to do it or get a police officer to do it. You will have to go to DMV first to get a 1 day move permit to drive it to them if you want them to do it. If you are only going to part it out you don't have to do anything with dmv, but don't part out any pieces that have the vin number on it. The engraved vin plate on the door is questionable, but the one under the hood looks legit. Is there a vin plate on the steering column or dash board? there need to be 2 identical factory vins findable on the car or it will have to be looked at by CHP so they can make sure its not stolen.

Hope that helps with your questions.
    If the car is still in the dmv system as non op then only current fees would be due plus transfer fees. You would not need the verification then. If it's in the system but not on non op then a bunch of fees will be due, and a whole bunch of other paperwork.
    Last edited by marscrochet; 06-15-2013 at 05:54 PM.

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Quote Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
    what is special about the steering wheel? it looks exactly like the one on the 77 i just bought.
    From what I fount out, its a M-tech first introduced on the 2002 and 3.0CSL models. There is a center padding cover that would make it street legal. But this often lost. A steering wheel with padding is in the $700~900 range. No padding, $300~600 depending on the condition.

My Cars
    E28, '07 Duramax LBZ
    after so many years, those stamped vin plates will wear away. someone probably etched over the already existing numbers so they were easier to identify. i had the same idea with mine.

Also in regards to the title situation. Do what i did. Find a tow company and talk to the operator. get him to tow the car to his yard and file for an abandoned title. Because tow companies do this all the time, its easier for them to get through the red tape and wont look suspicious, and all fees are waived. When he gets the title, slip him a few bills and take possession of your new grey market e21!!
    Last edited by BastardE38; 06-17-2013 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    82 320i
    no matter what, you definately need to get it ! ... I'm sure you have a drive way to your house ? and a few tools ? ... If you can't get the title or don't want to go through the assle of that whole process, tow it in your driveway, take as many parts off the car as you can , and in no time you will have over 1000$ in your pockets ! then call the local scrap yard to get the shell towed away, I WISH I would come across something like this ... good luck getting it figured out, but definately get it in your driveway !!! (I'd buy a few parts off of it, like rear disc brake convertion,

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by BastardE38 View Post
    after so many years, those stamped vin plates will wear away. someone probably etched over the already existing numbers so they were easier to identify. i had the same idea with mine.

Also in regards to the title situation. Do what i did. Find a tow company and talk to the operator. get him to tow the car to his yard and file for an abandoned title. Because tow companies do this all the time, its easier for them to get through the red tape and wont look suspicious, and all fees are waived. When he gets the title, slip him a few bills and take possession of your new grey market e21!!
    Yup!!! I second that! Def true....it does take a few weeks if not 3-4 months tho.....but yes, very doable
    My build thread M20 than S50 into 320i: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post23442810

My Cars
    1978 320i 1990 325i
    Reviving an old thread. Is this car still available?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12