Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: my home made OEM radio -> ipod controller.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Finally have data coming from the iPod to the LCD and serial port.
    Timing issues all along, hardware perfect though,my one concern.

Now on to the Can Bus bits......

Ian.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    I have the hardware working together with the LCD screen, which should prove useful. The iPod plays and the screen updates.
    The issues are with timing, it is critical to arrange the programme to work with the LCD.

Next step to work in the car!!

Ian.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    If any one would like my version of iPod Test software just shout.
    I found it very useful to diagnose issues without having to hook the electronics up to the car.

Now using a 20x4 LCD to display Track info etc..

Ian.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Hardware pretty much done now, see picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scuba_m...s/12364484255/

Ian.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Yes timing is pretty important. Also not sending too many messages too quickly and overflowing the buffer. The ipod actually is quite slow. In fact I made a slight alteration to my program to delay asking for the the song information after pressing skip. The ipod slowness in switching to the new song was causing the title to be incorrect (would give the last song played).

I'm not so sure you need the LCD screen. You can send debug commands either over the Serial monitor or to the LCD on the Radio screen. it's a cool feature but not sure how much you really need it. Do you plan to put the screen on the dash? It would give you more lines of text to display song titles etc if you wanted :-)

Thaniel

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Hi Thaniel

The LCD is for diags when in the car boot, not to be left in at all.
    Just having fun learning you know..

Ian.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Day View Post
    Just having fun learning you know..
    I hear you. It is quite entertaining to make different things.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Hi Thaniel,

I am having issues getting my hardware talking to the KBus.
    Do you have an arduino sketch that only displays the KBus traffic please?

Ian.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Day View Post
    Hi Thaniel,

I am having issues getting my hardware talking to the KBus.
    Do you have an arduino sketch that only displays the KBus traffic please?

Ian.

I have one on my google drive called "ibus_analyzer_004". As I use it with the PC program called Ibus_analyzer (can stream ibus messages to the pc over the serial connection). but it will work for streaming ibus messages raw to the serial monitor. But feel free to try the other 2 there as well.

Link to the drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...TQ&usp=sharing
    Link to my blog with the link (incase that one doesn't work) http://e46canbus.blogspot.com/2014/0...ly-living.html

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 02-17-2014 at 08:12 AM.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Some new news. Was working on reverse engineering the cruise control buttons for the BMW. In them the had a K-bus transceiver. It appeared to also supply the voltage for the controller. I tried to buy a similar chip but all the K-bus transceivers seem to be out of production. Was a nice thought. But then reading I found that it appears that linbus transceivers would work the same. And linbus is a more common protocol. So I ordered some linbus transceivers. At $1.50 each figured it was worth a shot.

Last night hooked up the MCP2025 linbus transceiver. And voila it passes the kbus data from the car to the Arduino. The transmit also appeared to work. I'll rework my bread board ipod controller to use the transceiver and ensure it works properly.

Why do we care? Using the transceiver will replace 6 transisters, 9 resisters a diaode and 1 optocoupler. Will make a much easier circuit to build. I'm very surprised that I've not read of any DIY'ers using linbus transceivers to interface with the ibus. Seems a great way to do it.

Thaniel

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Thanks once more Thaniel...

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Suppose I should report back. The Lin transceiver does indeed transmit on the ibus. But Friday when I drove to work it seemed intermittent. Then about the time I got to work it quit. I was thinking that perhaps some adjustments to the program needed to be done and expected it'd be back to working for the drive home (after turning off the car). but it didn't come back. humm. Set Garrett to looking at it today while I changed the struts on the car. But he found no faults and it worked. He said he did check the connections before turning things on so it could have just been a bad connection. The "bread board" ipod controllers connections aren't the best. And when I went to move the car later this evening the ipod controller was working perfect. It may have been a bad connection. I'll give it a few more drives and it it's ok I'll solder up a permanent one and provide an updated schematic. Only program change needed so far is that the "off" signal has to be low instead of high and the TX line has to be pulled low at the same time to make the transceiver go into sleep mode.

I should also report that the Old design one has been functioning very well in both soldered form in my daughters car and the breadboard form in my car. The design is fine just takes me a long time to solder together and what got me thinking about another way to do it.

Thaniel

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Another updated. Running with the linbus transceiver in my car. One of the issues we are having switching hardware is timing. The with the way the bus is configured, to transmit requires listening for a quiet spot then quickly starting to send. Due to the timing changes with the hardware we are finding more conflicts when trying to transmit. I was beginning to wonder if switching hardware was worth it and was starting to think about going back to the old hardware which worked. But my son has dug into the ardunio libraries and has managed to revise the Serial interrupt settings to provide a more timely measure of when the messages are arriving (if the message received goes to a buffer the time it arrived is lost). Still some bugs to smooth out on start up but after I got it running this morning I drove to work with NOT ONE conflict. That's 2,200 messages passed with no errors. So we may almost there.

Thaniel

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Had a relatively warm day finally. So My son and I spent some time sitting in the car with a computer. Turns out that the bus conflicts I was seeing during startup were due to the ipod comunication over software serial messing with the interrupts. I had thought moving the ipod Rx and Tx to hardware serial was a good idea and now was the time to do it. With that change and a few tweaks the I/k bus interface appears to be working perfect. Glitches we are getting now are from the ipod side.

For example. If the ipod is left for more than one day idle (an old classic anyway) it will go completely off and have to reboot once power is applied to the power port. We all know how long that takes. It doesn't announce itself when it finally comes up so finding if it has finished booting involves sending a request over and over and hoping for reply. This type of thing that can still be improved. But the new hardware design is working good enough most days.

Attached is the latest hardware design. Much simpler in my opinion and much faster to solder up.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
    ipod - kbus linbus V04.pdf

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Finished my 3rd (good) iPod board. 2nd one using the Lin bus chip. Now all my cars have an iPod controller. Did note one funny thing. On one car it puts the asterisks on the display that e use as filler characters where the other cars do not. Odd. Have to alter the program to use spaces instead.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Hi Thaniel,

Sorry for the late reply, work you know!!

I never did get round to downloading these files, didn't work for me, guess I need a Google account or something?
    Could you send them to me via email please?

Ian.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Went to germany last week. had a 2.5 hour drive to the airport and then a 3.5 hour trip back. The ipod interface never once dropped The new hardware and software appear to have fixed that problem.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Convertible
    I like the new design! Nice work
    I'm having a tough time finding the isolated power converter anywhere. Most everything else I can find at digikey or mouser. Also would love a link to a power transistor, as I have no idea what that is Any specific spot you'd suggest to buy those? Thanks!
    Last edited by natevolk; 03-24-2014 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by natevolk View Post
    I like the new design! Nice work !

Thanks.

I'm having a tough time finding the isolated power converter anywhere.

I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230406343187...ht_1252wt_1308
    I'm sure there are other converters that would work the same though.

Also would love a link to a power transistor.
    I used this one in at least one of my devices.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ue=Transistors
    There are many that would work. Just has to be a NPN type and rated for the voltage and amps being used. The typical small resisters can't quite support the current needed.

Good luck

Thaniel

My Cars
    2002 M3 Convertible
    Thank you!!!!

My Cars
    2002 320CIi
    I am going to attempt the hardware side tonight. Thank you for all the excellent info. I have nav so things might be a little different on the software side, have you tried it in a car with nav?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1080 View Post
    I am going to attempt the hardware side tonight. Thank you for all the excellent info. I have nav so things might be a little different on the software side, have you tried it in a car with nav?
    I've not even been in a E46 with factory nav :-) But if it uses the same CD player as the non Nav version then I would expect no trouble. Let us know how it goes.

I'm still using my home made units. In fact I gave my USA spec one to my brother.

My Cars
    2002 320CIi
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    I've not even been in a E46 with factory nav :-) But if it uses the same CD player as the non Nav version then I would expect no trouble. Let us know how it goes.

I'm still using my home made units. In fact I gave my USA spec one to my brother.
    Well it works fairly decently. IPod charging was a little funny, I ended up with 2vdc on the USB data + and 2.7vdc on the - to get it to charge.
    All the buttons on the radio send different messages than yours. I assume its a cd53? That should be fairly easy to fix in the program.

The only real problem I have is that the music "dips" out every few seconds. I'm not sure why, it's definitely the radio that is cutting the studio out and not the iPod. Did that ever happen to you?

Here is a video of what I'm talking about
    http://youtu.be/6q0DExexyCk

Thank you very much.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1080 View Post
    Well it works fairly decently. IPod charging was a little funny, I ended up with 2vdc on the USB data + and 2.7vdc on the - to get it to charge.
    All the buttons on the radio send different messages than yours. I assume its a cd53? That should be fairly easy to fix in the program.

The only real problem I have is that the music "dips" out every few seconds. I'm not sure why, it's definitely the radio that is cutting the studio out and not the iPod. Did that ever happen to you?

Here is a video of what I'm talking about
    http://youtu.be/6q0DExexyCk

Thank you very much.
    Glad to hear you've gotten it mostly working. Sounds like just a couple bugs to work out.

Yes the voltage on the USB data lines that causes the different apple devices to charge appears to vary a lot. I selected the voltage that sounded like would get most devices to charge. But some devices are more particular than others.

I think one of mine may be a CD53. I don't remember. I know the radio/tape player I bought in Europe had slightly different messages from the buttons then my car at home. I added both messages to the program. Adding them isn't a problem if you know what they are.

No I've not had the sound surge like that. But my cars are all 2001 and older. Yours being a 2002 I believe they may need a few small components in the line out to BMW connections. And they also say the newer ones doen't need the message constantly saying the CD player is there. I can't say forsure as I don't have one but there are posts about it on the forum.

Thaniel

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast