Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: my home made OEM radio -> ipod controller.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i (E92)
    That's awesome!!! If I didn't have my double din this would be on my to do list

great work
    My Previous Vehicle - In the Edmonton/Northern AB Area? We're having a meet... Click Here

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    It would be awesome if this could somehow be adapted to become a I/K-bus controlled A2DP interface

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    It would be awesome if this could somehow be adapted to become a I/K-bus controlled A2DP interface
    They do make Arduino sheilds for blue tooth comunication with ipods. One like this http://www.makershed.com/Bluetooth_L...o_p/mkrbl1.htm

Question would be how does the Audio stream get transfered? If it comes in just as data (which I'm thinking it would) then a Digital to Analog converter would be needed. The older BMW radios don't have a way to input digital and have it decoded. GOOD Digital to Analog converters. And knowing Apple it would require a special chip licenced by apple to get it all to work. I'm sure it could be done but cost wise it'd be cheaper to buy a second ipod and leave it in the car

My Cars
    1999 BMW 3 Sedan
    Thank you for amazing project. I'll try it tomorrow.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Another little update: Still having issues with the ipod being drained when the car shuts off 12V power to the socket. Tried somethings but it's still doing it. Starting to think it has something to do with the 12V to 5V isolated power supply. Going to try something new there. Wife is a bit tired of having to unplug the ipod everytime (it's in the trunk).

I bought some used itouches the other day. Tried one out on the ipod interface and it worked great. Response to commands was noticably faster than the old ipods with hard drives. Think I may start leaving the itouch in the car now.

My Cars
    BMW 120d
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Another little update: Still having issues with the ipod being drained when the car shuts off 12V power to the socket. Tried somethings but it's still doing it. Starting to think it has something to do with the 12V to 5V isolated power supply. Going to try something new there. Wife is a bit tired of having to unplug the ipod everytime (it's in the trunk).

I bought some used itouches the other day. Tried one out on the ipod interface and it worked great. Response to commands was noticably faster than the old ipods with hard drives. Think I may start leaving the itouch in the car now.
    Hey Thaniel,

Haven't looked at the wiring diagrams... But on the face of it, would a set of Diodes not do the job??

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by nurburgracer View Post
    Hey Thaniel,

Haven't looked at the wiring diagrams... But on the face of it, would a set of Diodes not do the job??
    In some area's probably. I still struggle with hardward design. Lots of trial, error and simulations going on. The power was not draining on my previous design but with the last changes, not shown on the schematic, it just kept draining things. That was until Monday night. :-)

What I've found:

One of the lines of the ipod transmits data to the Arduino. Have to let the ipod Tx current flow from Ipod to Arduino. However my above diagram shows my solution to that. And recently I even went to a micro relay to ensure no power flow (but still had the power drain). I added a diode to the ipod Tx line to ensure no over voltage flow would come backward incase the Arduio pin went high (arduino pins are 5v and ipod tx, rx are 3.3) but this caused enough voltage drop that the arduio didn't recieve the messages.

On the isolated power supply I added a diode on the + line but the power drain still occured. So ripped out the isolated power supply and went back to a simple car ipod charger. Power drain stopped but alternator whine is back. Looks like the drain was something with the isolated power supply. Realizing now that it was probably not the right thing for this application anyway.

Wife is happy again as the ipod is functioning as expected. Does have a MILD alternator whine right now (can't hear it at all if the song is playing). I will try to elimnate the whine a different way. Thinking perhaps cleaning up the power delievered to the ipod charger some more might fix it. But honestly the whine is faint enough at normal volume levels it can barely be heard (with the car reving but not driving and music on pause).

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 10-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Showed my schematic to a friend that is a electronics wizard and BMW enthusiast and he has made suggestions on how to improve things. I expect the changes will eliminate the alternator whine while making it safer for the arduino and iPod. Requires using optocouplers in place of a couple transistors and some misc changes. So I bought some optocouplers.
    image.jpg
    One needed per iPod controller. But the were like 70 cents so I bought 10. I just need to get up the energy to try them.

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 11-07-2013 at 09:55 PM.

My Cars
    01 M3
    Thaniel,

your continued work is much appreciated!

i had a thought, this wouldn't work for iPods, but I am looking for a cruise control solutions. Do you think a radio adapter would work for a cruise control application? I assume since the radio function buttons on the wheel are can bus, the controllers for aftermarket radios are just converting the signals. If I can hook up the controller to the correct wire(s) and then see which wires it sends power to for each button. The old style that needs manual programming is $36 on amazon. When I get my car fully running I may try this. Cruise control saves me from speeding anymore than what I set it to.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Roooster View Post
    Thaniel,

your continued work is much appreciated!

i had a thought, this wouldn't work for iPods, but I am looking for a cruise control solutions. Do you think a radio adapter would work for a cruise control application? I assume since the radio function buttons on the wheel are can bus, the controllers for aftermarket radios are just converting the signals. If I can hook up the controller to the correct wire(s) and then see which wires it sends power to for each button. The old style that needs manual programming is $36 on amazon. When I get my car fully running I may try this. Cruise control saves me from speeding anymore than what I set it to.

The I/K bus side can be used for lots of things. But the cruise buttons are on their own bus. If we are lucky it will use the same protocol and can be connected to easily. If i wasn't so lazy I'd go connect to it and find out :-) Maybe later......

My Cars
    01 M3
    Barring snow once I know everything is sorted a trip to you will be my first long trip! Just let me know what I need to get and I can record the trip up and take notes as I do things so we will have a nice long log with time stamps to review!

My Cars
    BMW 120d
    Loving the idea of displaying information on the radio screen.

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I
    looks like you almost have things completely figured out. when your finished could you also include a complete parts/supplies list for those of us that want to give this a try? I am in desperate need of a digital music solution for my 328 and Im pretty sure I'm gonna go this route. Also what's the approximate cost for everything that's in use in your current set up?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    They do make Arduino sheilds for blue tooth comunication with ipods. One like this http://www.makershed.com/Bluetooth_L...o_p/mkrbl1.htm

Question would be how does the Audio stream get transfered? If it comes in just as data (which I'm thinking it would) then a Digital to Analog converter would be needed. The older BMW radios don't have a way to input digital and have it decoded. GOOD Digital to Analog converters. And knowing Apple it would require a special chip licenced by apple to get it all to work. I'm sure it could be done but cost wise it'd be cheaper to buy a second ipod and leave it in the car
    Hmm, that's a good point. Do the CD changers for this cars just send line level audio or something? There's an Alpine MP3 cd changer that works with these cars, so maybe they can handle an MP3 stream?

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I

Hmm, that's a good point. Do the CD changers for this cars just send line level audio or something? There's an Alpine MP3 cd changer that works with these cars, so maybe they can handle an MP3 stream?
    if I'm not mistaken you would need the updated alpine head unit also ( I never remember the number)

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by MRPOWER View Post
    looks like you almost have things completely figured out. when your finished could you also include a complete parts/supplies list for those of us that want to give this a try? I am in desperate need of a digital music solution for my 328 and Im pretty sure I'm gonna go this route. Also what's the approximate cost for everything that's in use in your current set up?
    Yes I will most definitely post a schematic and parts list and updated program. Cost of the parts from typical sources is about $50. Soldering is required :-)

good news is Saturday I bought another e46 so ill be driving one and can debug quicker than getting feedback from my wife. But I'm in Germany for 2 weeks so nothing will happen for awhile. Good news is in going to BMW world in Munich tomorrow.
    Last edited by Thaniel; 11-15-2013 at 10:42 AM.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Yes the cd changer sends a line level analog signal to the head unit. The digital to analog conversion is done in the cd changer. When looking at the cd changer cable the 6 pin connector is the audio cable and the 3 pin is power, ground, and I/k bus (control).

My Cars
    328 CI, R.I.P 92 325I
    Yes I will most definitely post a schematic and parts list and updated program. Cost of the parts from typical sources is about $50. Soldering is required :-)

good news is Saturday I bought another e46 so ill be driving one and can debug quicker than getting feedback from my wife. But I'm in Germany for 2 weeks so nothing will happen for awhile. Good news is in going to BMW world in Munich tomorrow.
    cool I'll let everyone know how mine goes when the instructions are posted.

My Cars
    E46 330i ZSP+ZPP
    Cool, good job. However if I'm going to do all that work I'm just going to stick in my Nexus 7.

My Cars
    525dA E60
    This is quite interesting DIY!

How about filtering the alternator noise with a condensator in the power line, like something over 10000uF. I made a new amplifier inside my bm54 back unit, and just put a cond. in the powerline, no noise from the alternator at all.

I am quite noob with electronics, but able to do some small things, this would be just awesome to do.
    I'll wait for the program and the schematics.

-Pete

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by poteroa View Post
    This is quite interesting DIY!

How about filtering the alternator noise with a condensator in the power line, like something over 10000uF. I made a new amplifier inside my bm54 back unit, and just put a cond. in the powerline, no noise from the alternator at all.

I am quite noob with electronics, but able to do some small things, this would be just awesome to do.
    I'll wait for the program and the schematics.

-Pete
    Yes some sort of filter on the power feed would likely work. I was going to go this direction but then it was suggested to me to use optocouplers. With that and a isolated power supply there is no physical connection between the cars 12v system and the iPod or arduino. Seems like a very clean and safe way to go. And being bmw owners we want nothing but the best :-).

Got home from germany friday. I've wired the new and improved circuit up on a bread board (at 4am. Jet lag). I need to double check the wiring and try it out. Also found that the cd changer in the 330i I bought works. I'm interested to sample the messages it sends over the I/k bus. Might refine my message sending in my program.

Thaniel

My Cars
    E46 330i ZSP+ZPP
    I was going to do all that but I just decided to put in my stereo from my other car. I just ordered a dash kit and harness from ebay.

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 525iAt
    Hi,
    first of all a big THANK YOU to Thaniel for posting this
    I was thinking of doing this for well over a year now and your Project got me motivated to finally start

I'm trying to do the iPod controls very basic - just simulate the headset controls - because the iPodBreakout is bit hard to get here without paying 5€ shipping for a 12€ piece of hardware.
    Another goal is to get the built-in microphone of my car working with my iPhone.

I plan on adapting this to my E39 and maybe put it in my grandmothers E46 as well.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakHandy View Post
    Hi,
    first of all a big THANK YOU to Thaniel for posting this
    I was thinking of doing this for well over a year now and your Project got me motivated to finally start

I'm trying to do the iPod controls very basic - just simulate the headset controls - because the iPodBreakout is bit hard to get here without paying 5€ shipping for a 12€ piece of hardware.
    Another goal is to get the built-in microphone of my car working with my iPhone.

I plan on adapting this to my E39 and maybe put it in my grandmothers E46 as well.
    you are welcome.

doing basic iPod controls or the more advanced commands (mode 4). Uses the same connections. For connecting to the iPod I buy a dock extension chord (not the standard USB) and cut the female end off. I bought mine for like $4 shipped from a Chinese supplier (ebay). It does make identifying the pins a bit more work. But found that opening up the female connector I was discarding had them labeled. Good luck with your project and please share your results.

As for mine I tried my new optocoupler circuit. It is receiving pulses from the ibus but the message comes out garbled. It could jus be a simple as a resister needs to be changed. My first time ever using optocouplers. Will take some trial to get to right, I think.

Thaniel

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 525iAt
    I got lucky and found an old iPod charging cable that had all the pins on its board inside, not only the ones needed for charging

I'll report back as soon as I get it all soldered up and working (might take some time though because these pins are sooo small and close together and I keep getting shorts -.-)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast