RM European Auto Parts

Thread: X5 suspension problems

My Cars
    2006 M6

X5 suspension problems

Hi there to all

Have a 2004 x5 4.4 liters engine with air suspension system in 4 wheels.

Code 74 is always present.

Have replaced 2 front air bags and still suspension is blocked every day.

After reseting the system with Launch X431 it works for a few hours and gets blocked again.

System has been checked for any leaks and pump motor has been replaced.

Also entire system has been cleaned and inspected for rust, dust, missconection and everithing that has came in to my mind so far.

Been diging for some info in the web and not so many has arrised.

Been working with Autoenginuity pc software and X431 as of diagnostic tool.

I really need some kind of profesional tech help in order to figure out where the problem is.

If any in this forum may help, I will really appreciate your profesional and always kind help.

Regards
    Ray
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Jesus te ama....... YO NO.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Please advise what code 74 reads - the Launch should have given words, not just a number. Also, what exactly do you mean, by "suspension is blocked"? Is it leaking down when parked? Raising to full ride height and riding like a truck? What's the actual physical issue?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2006 M6
    I do mean with "suspension blocked" that suspension does not regulates on demand. We have found front air bags with some leaks so we did replace them.
    Suspension height is normal and remains constant for last 2 days but when trying to demand lowering or rising it simply does not responds.
    Code 74 in the launch says something like "presure remains constant or so".
    Will post tomorrow the exact description launch gaves with code 74.
    But in resume.
    Heigh is normal.
    Does not leaks down when parked.
    Does not goes higher.
    Left side up and down butons does not respond at all.
    Suspension dissable appears in the dash board.

Is there any test, description or so that may be of help?
    I can make a small video with the problem tomorrow and post it here if that may help.

And by the way, I really appreciate you bmwdirtracer to respond in my problem.

Regards
    Ray

- - - Updated - - -

Here the complete code and description according to the Launch equipment: 74 Accumulator pressure remains constant (accumulator filling request).

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hmmm; I've never seen that code, on my GT1; but the GT1 computer would give a good testing/diagnostic procedure, for me to follow. However, I've very recently had two X5's with "air suspension inactive" warnings - one of which didn't even have air suspension. Both of them turned out to be the exact same problem. So I'm going to give you two potential things to check - one of them is weird-sounding:

Not weird: Check and test the ride height sensors on the control arms. If the computers don't know the relative heights of each axle, the system will like assume a default value (constant pressure) I can't say I know how you can test them, without a GT1 computer or a known-good spare part. (Also, use your launch to check for codes in EVERY computer, and write them all down carefully, before clearing them all. Then, start the car twice, then read the codes again, tell us what codes reappeared.)

Weird: Do you have a small red dot next to the odometer area of your instrument cluster?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2006 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hmmm; I've never seen that code, on my GT1; but the GT1 computer would give a good testing/diagnostic procedure, for me to follow. However, I've very recently had two X5's with "air suspension inactive" warnings - one of which didn't even have air suspension. Both of them turned out to be the exact same problem. So I'm going to give you two potential things to check - one of them is weird-sounding:

Not weird: Check and test the ride height sensors on the control arms. If the computers don't know the relative heights of each axle, the system will like assume a default value (constant pressure) I can't say I know how you can test them, without a GT1 computer or a known-good spare part. (Also, use your launch to check for codes in EVERY computer, and write them all down carefully, before clearing them all. Then, start the car twice, then read the codes again, tell us what codes reappeared.)

Weird: Do you have a small red dot next to the odometer area of your instrument cluster?
    I can not see any red light in the dashboard. the exact code and meaning according to the launch tool is: 74Accumulator pressure remains constant (accumulator filling requested)...... will do the procedure as you instructme and will return with whatever it has shown. Kind Regards Ray

- - - Updated - - -

After following your procedure as stated, non of the modules has a fault code exept for the misterious 74 Accumulator pressure remains constant (accumulator filling request)...... any idea?........

My Cars
    2006 M6
    Dear friends, have even replaced battery and check for fault codes, with same results, still fault code persist.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    there is a" valve block" as per say under the car above the underpaneling on the pass side. I have replaced a few of the over the years for various reasons. CHECK this. if the a valve is stuck you will get weird things going on.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2006 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    there is a" valve block" as per say under the car above the underpaneling on the pass side. I have replaced a few of the over the years for various reasons. CHECK this. if the a valve is stuck you will get weird things going on.
    Will check this valve body and will return with news..... thanks for your help, it is very valuable for me,......

My Cars
    2006 M6
    Dear fellows. Valve block has been deeple chequed and no malfunction has been detected so far. Any other idea, test, data o so where to cntinue?....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    With my GT1 computer, I can command the accumulator to fill, or to release pressure. A GT1 (DIS) will also give a testing procedure, and likely point to the offending item, for your code. I'll try to edit this post with a link to a cheap GT1 clone which can be attached to a laptop for diagnosis.

EDIT:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...b475a7&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 06-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2006 M6
    Very nice, will order right now. Have you or any other in this forum utilized it? How is it compared with the GT1?

Regards....

My Cars
    2003 BMW X5
    I am having the same problem I can go in with the computer scan tool and command the air ride to raise and lower the vehicle front and rear everything flowing good no blockage no nothing but I'm also keep getting a code 74 that accumulated air pressure constant request feeling and it will not operate on its own I have to go in with the computer and commanded to come on any ideas

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    What computer are you using? Air suspension requires a sophisticated BMW diag system. Have you sprayed everything with soapy water to look for leaks? Where does the diag system say the leak is coming from? You need to be using ISTA.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412