Thread: OBDII port is not connecting to scanner. Failed emissions.

My Cars
    1989 bmw 325i

OBDII port is not connecting to scanner. Failed emissions.

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now ever since I bought this car. When I first bought it, the key would not unlock the doors or lock them. Later after researching, I found that there is a module for the antenna that also works in conjunction with the keyless entry, which I replaced and everything was working fine. Then emissions came up and I took it expecting it to pass with flying colors, since the car runs brilliantly with zero hiccups, etc. Unfortunately, they could not connect to the OBDII port, for which I then took the car to the dealer to get it looked at and those dumbasses told me everything is fine and the OBDII port is fine. Today I went to meet with a emissions rep to have him look at my car and he connected a generic OBD scanner, but to no avail. It wasn't receiving any power from the port. I have checked the fuses and they are fine. It has me thinking maybe there are deeper issues with the electronics, which has me quite worried. Anybody know any tests that I can do, i.e. multimeter, etc., to narrow down this issue and fix myself without having to take it back to those monkeys at the stealership? Thanks for helping!

It is a 2002 325i (facelift)

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I would try a simple procedure that's been approved by BMW.
    Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.
    battery.
    Disconnect the positive connector from the battery.
    Short two cables together for a minimum of 10 minutes.
    Reconnect the battery cables with the positive cable being reconnected first.

My Cars
    1989 bmw 325i
    Okay, well I haven't tried that method yet. I will do it tonight. I ordered the BMW Scanner V1.4.0 and used it to connect to the OBD port and what do you know? It connects fine! So this means that the problem is solely related to OBD right? The port connects with bmw compatible scanners but not OBD II scanners.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    "The port connects with bmw compatible scanners but not OBD II scanners." HUH?

My Cars
    1989 bmw 325i
    Exactly how it sounds. You know those universal OBD-II scanners, well it won't connect with them. I can only get it to connect with BMW specific scanners. My car does not have a round connector in the engine bay.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Not sure about the e46, but on some cars the OBD port and the cigarette lighter run off the same circuit ... certainly worth checking the fuse.

My Cars
    1989 bmw 325i
    Yikes forgot all about fixing this problem, anyways, the fuses are all fine. I can't seem to come up with a solution to this problem. My SRS airbag light recently came on, I was gonna run my bmwscanner to clear it. Got a letter in the mail from BMW that my year and model is affected by a faulty airbag or something, so there is a recall for that. I have heard that M3's have this problem where the software needs to be updated, but the assholes at the dealer told me everything was fine when I got it checked the first time. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by gtdragon980; 07-16-2013 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Digging up an old thread.. I know this is a long shot but did you ever figure this out? I'm actually having the same exact issue on an E92 335i..

My Cars
    2001 525it
    go to a good independent shop that has Ista or autologic and have them plug into it. If the dealer said it was fine then they could have done the smog test yes?

My Cars
    E46 328ci
    Ok having opposite issue on my E70 generic scanners will read but not bmw scanners like inpa or ista+ that work on my E90s has anyone figured out what issues there are

My Cars
    2001 525it
    As I said I would go to a shop and ask them to plug into your car,maybe your system is having issues, what if there’s reads the car then your spinning your wheels
    Last edited by jclausen; 02-07-2021 at 09:17 AM.