Thread: P1519 P1522 codes after Vanos repair / timing chain replacement

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox

Unhappy P1519 P1522 codes after Vanos repair / timing chain replacement

Hello all, if you haven't been following my lovely attempt at my Vanos repair / timing chain guide / timing chain / valley pan gasket replacement ... here it is
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1980903

All in all... it was a pretty in depth job, it was fun, it was difficult, it was interesting. I'd do it again honestly, but I really don't want to do it again... now, right away... which seems like it's going in this direction.

SOOooo... Long story short, start the car... cranks for a while... ( fuel lines were off, car's been sitting, etc ) and fires on the first ( longish ) crank. I'm ecstatic. WOW it started on the first try. I had butterflies in my stomach when I was cranking, no idea what was going to happen.

I let it run, I let it idle for a while, bleed the coolant system all is great. I pop my head in the drivers side window to make sure it isn't over heating, and the CEL isn't on. Awesome! Nothing out of the ordinary.

Turn the car off, let it sit for a while, put the front wheels on and check the oil. We are right on target. Start the car, and back out of the cave that has been the garage.

CEL... on. "@&$*!"

FINE. I drive to the advance auto parts to scan the car... during the drive, I give it some gas... wow, where's the power?! I have no out of the ordinary noises besides the odd intake noise that I'm hearing, like it's starving for air possibly. I get the car scanned, and get P1519 and P1522.

Some Googleing and research and possible culprit to be is the cam position sensor ( highly unlikely, as they are new ) Vanos solenoid ( still probably not it ) Vanos or Cam static position. ( probably the cause )

My first question, is it Ok to drive as it sits? I understand it's hard to determine such a thing without one hearing or feeling the vehicle, but I would like to drive the car until I fix it again.... or get it fixed at this point.

Second question.... What would be most likely? vanos seal? Cam position setting? All in all... during the install of all the nonsense, I had the crank and all 4 cams locked at TDC, and tension-ed the chain properly. I did run into a slight snag when putting the Passenger side timing chain cover on, the chain was too tight to move the tensioner over to put the cover on. I took up slack by rotating the engine slightly, which was able to get the cover on.
    Did I not have the chain properly set?

Any insight to the issue would be much obliged. I will hopefully be taking the car to my indy to scan for vanos solenoids and / or for cam position.

Again thank you so much
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Those codes point to the actuators themselves. They appear not to be working, or not correctly.

P1519 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Bank 1

P1522 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Bank 2

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/
    Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Codes P1525 and 1526 are for the solenoids themselves. 1519 and 1522 are for the rationality; the relationship of the cam to crank sensor while the VANOS is inactive. They map directly to P0011/21 on the later cars.

The opdds are high it's cam timing. Since you have a lack of power, it sounds like the could be a good bit out. As far as damage, if there was going to be a mechanical interference, it would happen in the first few milliseconds of turning the key. Whatever is going to happen, has happened. But, there is always a chance of the incorrect combustion causing secondary damage things like the cats.

/.randy

My Cars
    '01 525i, 93 MX-5 autox
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Codes P1525 and 1526 are for the solenoids themselves. 1519 and 1522 are for the rationality; the relationship of the cam to crank sensor while the VANOS is inactive. They map directly to P0011/21 on the later cars.

The opdds are high it's cam timing. Since you have a lack of power, it sounds like the could be a good bit out. As far as damage, if there was going to be a mechanical interference, it would happen in the first few milliseconds of turning the key. Whatever is going to happen, has happened. But, there is always a chance of the incorrect combustion causing secondary damage things like the cats.
    Sounds about right... I remember seeing some posts of yours in google searches.

I was hoping it wasn't going to come to this, but it really seems like it. I figured if it was off bad enough it was going ka boom.

Well..... time to rent the timing kit again...

I suppose on my second round of this, is there a tip out there for timing? I suppose just checking 4x would probably do the trick. I've timed a few 4 cyl DOHC engines before but nothing with variable valve timing... or in a Vee for that matter.

*sigh* Well, here goes nothing again.
    KEVIN
    BMW CCA # 416146

Current 2001 525i-5 / 234,000 Miles
    ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    CD43 with AUX retrofit + Bluebus
    Auto Dimming Mirror upgrade
    H&R Sport / Koni STR.T
    OEM Xenon HID Retrofit

The Ex- 2000 540i-6 / 82,xxx miles to 186,xxx miles
    CDV Free, 545i Shifter and ///M Weighted Shift knob.
    Member of DSC Module Failure Club $$

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
    Yesterday morning ~32F I started the 2.8L and it was loping/idling rough. This happens intermittently but usually stops after the engine warms up. Yesterday after the engine warmed it continued to idle rough, so I did a WOT acceleration which cured the condition once in the past. This time (first time ever) I got diagnostic code P1519 alone. OK cam position sensor problem, but I don't think the cam position sensor controls anything. I'm guessing it's only function is for monitoring. So why was the engine idling rough????????????????????????? My guess is the cam timing was stuck in the advanced position????????????

I'm thinking maybe the solenoid was stuck in the valve open position. If this happens again (you know it will), I think I'll tap on the solenoid and see if the rough idle stops.

From the advertisement: "The BMW Z3 Camshaft Position Sensor is part of the ignition system and is positioned near the camshaft within the engine compartment in most modern vehicles. Your vehicle's computer uses information from the BMW Z3 Camshaft Position Sensor to regulate the precise timing of the engine and if it quits working, the engine won't start. "

If this ad is correct then I was wrong about the function of the cam shaft position sensor, however it seems to me that the knock sensor, crankshaft position sensor/ RPM, and intake air & engine temperature, manifold vacuum (throttle position maybe for load) is all that is needed for ignition timing. I don't see what cam position would have to do with ignition timing.

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/cam...or/bmw/z3.html
    Last edited by DuWop; 11-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328
    my bmw e39 540i give the folowing codes . p0151, p0300,p0340,p1519 and p1522. one morning the car started and idle for a few minutes and the next he started to rattle and died.it start with difficulty and then it shakes alot.please advice what to do first

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    Look for vacuum leaks. Have a smoke test done. Check the main boot for tears. The one after the maf
    2002 525i