My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 35D

2009 x5 35D - how to flush coolant?

The dealer tells me that the factory coolant is lifetime (I don't care; i'm going to flush it anyways). Can someone please tell me how to flush the coolant from the radiator? I don't see a drain plug anywhere, and the steps that I found on youtube don't really pertain to the E70 model. From what I've read on the net, I've tried these steps to start the bleeding procedure: key in ignition and engine not running, turning on the heater to the highest temp, fan on lowest setting, and stepping on the accelerator for 10 seconds to bleed the system. It doesn't start the bleeding procedure for me on this E70. Is there a different bleed procedure, and how do you drain the coolant? Remove the lower hose maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    you have a diesel so I don't think the bleed procedure is the same. I dont think it has an electric water pump. I am not familiar with the BMW diesel. if no drain valve on rad, than pull a rad hose. but if its like all other bmw, as soon as you do this you will get a coolant leak and get to do it all over again.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525
    He is right, it has a mechanical water pump and not an electric water pump which means you have to bleed it the old fashioned way. If there is a drain plug it will be on the bottom, driver's side of the radiator. If no drain plug then just pull off the lower radiator hose.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Can't say on the Diesel engine. But on engines like the M62TU, you pull the Lower Radiator Hose (really small one) which is also connected to the transmission cooler. It's comes out with a firm counter clockwise twist. It's great for draining as it is at the lowest point of the radiator. Shops will them also use a vacuum pump to suck out all the remaining coolant / water from the engine. You can run a gallon of distilled water through the engine to get out any residue / old coolant left in there.

Then you refill the system with the fresh coolant and close everything up and start the car. Once it's running, use the bleeder screw that is beside the Overflow tank to bleed out air from the system. Now, turn the heater on in the car to maximum heat as well as the interior fan. This will allow the coolant to circulate through your heater core as well as your Auxiliary water pump. Let it run like that for about five minutes then shut it off.

When it cools down, check the coolant level and top it off. Take the car for a drive and expect to bleed it once or twice more - maybe in a day or two. It is suggested that you fill the coolant with the nose higher or lifted to help get the coolant all the way into the engine.

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 35D
    Thanks for everyone's replys. I don't see a drain plug, so I'm going to pull the lower rad hose and hopefully all goes well. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

I figured it out. Yes, I confirmed that it is a "mechanical" waterpump as you guys mentioned above, so there is no electronic bleeding procedure for the diesel engine. There is however a radiator drain plug, but it is inaccessible unless you remove the radiator (a total nightmare if you ever have to replace the rad). Here is how I drained the coolant from the system: I removed the lower accessory rad hose (1' diameter hose) which is linked/connected to the lower "main" rad hose clipped to the base of the radiator. There was a simple snap clip which needs to removed in order to pry the plastic 90 degree elbow away from the hose using a small screw driver (careful to not pry too hard). As soon I removed the hose, the coolant all drained out as you would expect. I'm a happy camper. Not too bad of a do-it-yourselfer job after all.

My Cars
    2009 X5 3.5d
    Can someone please post a picture showing where exactly it is to pull the lower hose for the diesel engine?
    Thanks

My Cars
    2009 X5 3.5d
    IMG_1449.JPGIMG_1456.JPG

I removed the splash guard at the front bottom and took a few pictures.
    The 1st picture is taken from the front bottom outside. The 2nd is taken from the joint straight up, where the hose is like twisted a bit.
    Is the Red cycle I made, the joint I need disconnect?
    I pried the metal clip out and tried to pull it but coudn't. It's very tight there. Not sure if I disconnect and reconnect later, will it ever leak or do I need apply any sealant?

Thanks
    Last edited by scorpioy; 05-20-2014 at 09:39 PM.

My Cars
    X5 35d
    Just wondering if anyone has tried to drain the water from the engine block as well.. draining the lower coolant hoses pictured will only drain about 2-3 L of coolant at best,, does anyone know the location of the engine coolant drain plug and if removing it is the right procedure for the 35d?
    Many Thanks

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 4.8i
    Hello! I own a 2009 BMW X5 4.8i. Can anybody please help me out how to find the coolant drain plug because I can't seem to find it. I need to drain all the coolant and refill it with a new coolant. Thank you!