Thread: 850CSi INPA code 201 Lambda integrator Regulator stop

My Cars
    E39 M5 840CI 93 850CSI

850CSi INPA code 201 Lambda integrator Regulator stop

I have this code on the left bank ( Cylinders 7 - 12 ), soon as I clear it comes back so a static error. There are no other codes on the engine at all apart from this one although I do have a check engine light on the dash. No nasty smoke coming out of the exhaust both sides look clear.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

DIS Error

201 Oxygen-Sensor control

INPA Error

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
    -------------------------------------

Date: 05/25/13 12:47:15
    ECU: DM17_2L1
    JobStatus: OKAY
    Variant: DM17_2L1
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    RESULT: 1 errors in error memory !
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    201 Lambda integrator Regulator stop

Error frequency : 51
    Engine speed 760.00 rpm
    Load signal 2.20 ms

Short circuit to batt+
    Open circuit

Exhaust gas relevant fault

Fault stored after re-bouncing delay

Error present

Sporadic error

================================================== ===========
    Last edited by chadderz2010; 05-25-2013 at 09:07 AM.

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    At a guess I would say its a failure in the element that pre-heats the O2 sensor on cold starts, meaning your sensor is working when warm, hence the lack of any real change to engine operation. Replace the O2 sensor IMO and if still failing, check the wiring all the way down.

When replacing the O2 sensor (or both) watch out for the oddity in their installation, their wires are crossed from one side of the car to the other. Also you can get genuine Bosch Universal replacements on eBay, think ours are Type 6 Bosch O2s, double check though.

My Cars
    E39 M5 840CI 93 850CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsimis View Post
    At a guess I would say its a failure in the element that pre-heats the O2 sensor on cold starts, meaning your sensor is working when warm, hence the lack of any real change to engine operation. Replace the O2 sensor IMO and if still failing, check the wiring all the way down.

When replacing the O2 sensor (or both) watch out for the oddity in their installation, their wires are crossed from one side of the car to the other. Also you can get genuine Bosch Universal replacements on eBay, think ours are Type 6 Bosch O2s, double check though.
    Hi thanks for the response, I will change both sides while I am at it as I have no idea how long they have been installed for. I assume we are talking pre cat sensor?

Regards

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by chadderz2010 View Post
    Hi thanks for the response, I will change both sides while I am at it as I have no idea how long they have been installed for. I assume we are talking pre cat sensor?

Regards
    Yep, precats... though does the CSi have 4 cats? I thought it only had 2, I swapped mine out twice, but was years back when I just got it, cant quite recall.

My Cars
    E39 M5 840CI 93 850CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsimis View Post
    Yep, precats... though does the CSi have 4 cats? I thought it only had 2, I swapped mine out twice, but was years back when I just got it, cant quite recall.
    It does only have 2 what I thought was a post cat LAMBDA is shown as a temp sensor on realoem, need to get it up in the air or over the pit. Have a pair of new Bosch units on order.
    Last edited by chadderz2010; 05-28-2013 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    E39 M5 840CI 93 850CSI
    Put the car over the pit and checked the O2 connectors, used some contact cleaner and put them back together nothing more. No more code 201, oh well that's another one off the list, will still put the new probes in as preventative maintenance item as car is at 100k miles and I don't know if they have ever been changed.

My Cars
    BMW 850, Opel, Seat

Thanks - I have the same problem

on my 850i on the left side. Will check cabling & contact, then try to replace the O2 sensors if it doesn't help.

My Cars
    BMW 850, Opel, Seat
    Didn't help. Cleaned connectors, connected and cleared the INPA error codes. The same error keeps coming back on the left side. The lamda sensor voltage doesn't vary either as it does on the right side (where there is no error code). So hopefully I will be able to replace the O2 sensors. I have tried before and they were so hard to get at that I gave up. Now it seems like I just have to.... have adapted a tool with an angle grinder and hope it will be possible to get it in place now.

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    I didnt think they were hard at all on the 850(CSi)! One of the easiest cars Ive removed O2 sensors from, likely the easiest actually. I didnt even use any exotic tools (I have an O2 sensor socket and O2 Sensor specific spanner) just regular grips and open ended spanners..

I had them in and out about 6times, tried several brands and wiring schemes (I learned you shouldnt solder O2 sensor wiring!).

My Cars
    BMW 850, Opel, Seat
    On my car they sit on top of the front part of the catalytic converter. The position is VERY hard to get at. It is just not possible to get a standard spanner onto it. O2 sensor sockets and spanners are too tall to fit in the cramped conditions. I have removed material from an O2 sensor spanner and believe it may just be enough.

My Cars
    BMW 850, Opel, Seat
    Yes! Had to remove the bracket that attaches to the rubber mount. Then it was easy to remove the O2 sensors and get the new ones in place. Will see tomorrow if the error code has disappeared or if I need to replace the cabling... Have checked the cables between the O2 sensor and the DMEs, the ground and the fuse. They all seem to be OK but are obviously sensitive.

Update: In the morning, I started up the car. As usual, it started easily. However, the problem remains on the left side. The same error code occurs after a few seconds.

When checking the Lambda voltage with INPA, it varies slightly 0.08 - 0.10 - 0.12 - 0.09 - 0.13 - and so on on the left side.

On the right side, the Lambda voltage varies like 0.12 - 0.45 - 0.78 - 0.30 - 0.65 - 0.09 - which as far as I understand is normal behaviour.

History: Some of you may remember that I had an engine fire last year which damaged a lot of cables. I replaced all damaged cables (phu..!!) and the only problem I seem to have left now is this one. Both O2 sensor shielded cables were scorched so I had to replace the piece between the connector close to the O2 sensor and up where it enters the cable harness on top of the engine. This introduced two joints in the cable between the O2 sensor and the DME - and this is where I suspect I have the problem.

Next steps for me is to re-do the cable connections on the left side - or does anyone have a different suggestion?
    Last edited by olajon; 06-08-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Update

My Cars
    1991 850i 6 Speed
    I have been looking for this error code as I have just today got INPA working and have this code from both sides.

This only happens when engine is cold and after normal temperature is reached it goes away until the next cold start.
    Just checked that the fuse #28 is ok on the front distribution box and will see what the heater relay is doing tomorrow (when the sun is back up). This is in the same box as the DME's.

O2 sensors seemed to work (fluctuate) reasonable, need to check the range better thought as didn't pay too much attention to these today.
    Last edited by MNurmenniemi; 12-09-2015 at 06:48 AM. Reason: wrong fuse mentioned

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    This code eventually went away after replacing both oxygen sensors and running the car for about 200 miles or so to let the car adapt.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6 Speed
    Well that was easy...there is no heater relay in a 1991 850i (EG11) for the Italian market...

Fuse #28 has power and is OK, seems I will spend some time under the car at some point then.

I have fitted the Check Engine light to dash and I have seen some instructions from BMW where is the relay is absent this error can be ignored but it just seems wrong to have a supposed heater which does not seem to work. Could it be that the engineers at BMW have taken a shortcut on this for some reason and it actually is "by (poor) design"

I guess it is also possible that Lambda's have been changed at some point and the heating circuit is not the or not functional or there is a wiring issue but both are having the same issue seems unlikely.
    Last edited by MNurmenniemi; 12-09-2015 at 07:07 AM.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6 Speed
    For me this issue turned out to be the classic air intake leak which were sealed.

Other lead to this was the poor idle (hunting) when doing a cold start which smoothes when engine warms.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    ignore
    Last edited by clockwork; 08-20-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Update. Was a broken wire on one of purge valve connectors, at the connection.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.