Thread: H&R Rear Springs - Identification help

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325

H&R Rear Springs - Identification help

HR 19.03.jpg

Need some help - I picked up a set of Springs (front and rear) from a guy who told me these fit on an E30 325i - This is a picture of one of the rear spring. I cannnot locate the part number - H&R 19.03 - BMW on Google.

Does anyone know what these are?

The set came with a pair of grey H&R 50404.55 Front Springs which do fit an E30 (not ix or conv - lowers 1")... but these are blue and have a different number - so I want to identify what these are before I put them on.

Thanks

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Ok - I emailed H&R and they stated they are for a 325 ic or ix...

The springs lower the IC by .75 and the IX by 1.2...

No inclination what it would do to a 325i..

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    I thought I'd share our dialogue here since this subject is talked about enough and I just bought a used set with those same springs to install in our 87 325i sedan.

According to H&R that front spring PN 50404-55 is the same for all the 6cyl cars and is the set PN for OE Sports for a sedan (rated for a 1" drop f&r). If you order for the Cabrio or ix you use a different set number but apparently get the same springs (50405-55f and 19.03 r) designated as Sports with more drop.

these numbers match the Cabrio specific springs I bought last spring (set 50407) so this is as forensic as I get. Obviously, more data is welcome
    Last edited by Jeffnhiscars; 02-16-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Damn - Those are beautiful..

Now - I am jealous.

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by 95BMWIC View Post
    Damn - Those are beautiful..

Now - I am jealous.
    Well don't be. Those are NIB that I got from Turner. If you want new paInt pay retail lol..(although I did get a killer deal along with the BS Sports)

The used set arrives today and are still pretty. Minor scuffs for way less than the ones in the pic but the PNs are clear and hell...they are springs so as long as they are not tired, rusted out or cracked, they will be fine.

Ill take some before and after measurements and confirm the drop when you put IX/Cabrio Sport springs in a sedan so I will never have to read about that subject again
    Last edited by Jeffnhiscars; 02-19-2014 at 04:16 AM.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

My Cars
    2 e30s, e34, e36, e39,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnhiscars View Post
    I thought I'd share our dialogue here since this subject is talked about enough and I just bought a used set with those same springs to install in our 87 325i sedan.

According to H&R that front spring PN 50404-55 is the same for all the 6cyl cars and is the set PN for OE Sports for a sedan (rated for a 1" drop f&r). If you order for the Cabrio or ix you use a different set number but apparently get the same springs (50405-55f and 19.03 r) designated as Sports with more drop.

these numbers match the Cabrio specific springs I bought last spring (set 50407) so this is as forensic as I get. Obviously, more data is welcome
    Sorry for the bump but this is the exact issue I'm having. I ordered the 50409 iX springs and got 50404.55 fronts and 19.03 rears. It's an eBay seller hence my concern. The iX springs aren't supposed to lower the car as much as a regular e30. So are you saying the iX front springs are actually no different than the standard e30 springs, and you get the stiffer iC rear springs? "Everybody says" that the iX springs don't lower the car as much as the i/iS springs... so I guess that myth is debunked?!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    best way to find out is to throw them on. it only takes a two to three hours to swap springs and go test drive to let them settle.

we just put h&r race on my son's 86 325, day before yesterday. it looks great and the ride is sooo much better for spirited/autocross driving. his were black though
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    The ix and cabrio are heavier so the corresponding springs for them (ie..sport, Oe sport etc) will be firmer to obtain a similar drop. You put those on a lighter sedan and it won't drop as much. That doesn't mean it's bad or wrong.

I don't recall 100% what my thought train was when I posted 5years ago but having swapped enough springs on sedans, an M10 and my cabrio I'm inclined to go along with superj and suggest trying them. The science on all this is not precise especially when you consider that springs should be mated to dampers and what Elbach or H&R will recommend is not specific to BS Koni or any other provider but rather to stock dampers. It therefore becomes part art, part science and a good deal of personal preference.

when I installed my cabrio specific springs it was with BS Sports and e90 drop hats. I hated the BSs so swapped to Kong's which I'm in love with. While at it I removed the drop hats cause my NLA front mud flaps were hitting the ground too often. Over time the springs settled and so while the drop increased a bit it wasn't enough to make the flaps drag.

YEMV