Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First Track Event Tomorrow..Nervous! Words of Wisdom?

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe, 1949 Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish1
    I really appreciate the honesty of this reply. You CAN be a mechanic-novice and do just fine at Track Days as long as you're not pushing your car really hard. BMWs are pretty resilient cars at HPDE (High Performance Driving Events), so as long as you've checked your oil, coolant level, brake fluid levels, and tire pressures before you hit the track AND in between sessions, you should be OK.
    In addition, be sure to have your car inspected by a knowledgeable mechanic who knows whre to look for potential problems. Before my last event my tech inspection revealed a porential problem with the clutch hydraulic line that I would not have seen. These are $s well spent.

My Cars
    2008 SLK - 2004 M3 - 1994 540ia - 1990 M3

What A Great Thread

What a great thread full of really accurate info!!

When you first get out there, everyone thinks they know how to drive their car pretty well. I know I did. So after my first 2 sessions of doing what I thought, was really fantastic driving, I went out with my instructor.

I wept like a little school girl with a skinned knee. At one point I literally thought I was going to throw up with my helmet on. The 20 minutes or so in his car acted as a enema for my thoughts of being cocky about driving in any regard. I have never learned respect as quickly for handling an automobile as I did during that one session. Not a word needed to be said. I just knew that one day, I wanted to have command and understanding of my car the way he did. Been working my ass of towards just that, ever since....

Welcome to the addiction.

Cheers,
    Scott

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by onutsguy
    When you first get out there, everyone thinks they know how to drive their car pretty well. I know I did. So after my first 2 sessions of doing what I thought, was really fantastic driving, I went out with my instructor.

I wept like a little school girl with a skinned knee. At one point I literally thought I was going to throw up with my helmet on. The 20 minutes or so in his car acted as a enema for my thoughts of being cocky about driving in any regard. I have never learned respect as quickly for handling an automobile as I did during that one session.
    Your first DE is usually a very humbling experience.

1. Arrival: "Man, I know how to drive, I eat other drivers on the street for breakfast. I'm gonna show those instructors a thing or two. I've had enough classroom stuff, let's drive!"

2. On track, your first time behind the wheel: "Hey this is fun, I'm even catching some of these other guys! I really am getting the hang of this! I must be a natural!"

3. After a couple of track sessions, you go out with the really fast instructor, and the instructor is driving: "Holy crap! Are you nuts? Were never gonna make this turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do I keep myself from flying out the door when he takes these turns at warp speed???? I'm gonna die!!!!"

4. Upon arriving safely back in the paddock after the drive with the instructor: "Damn, I SUCK!!! Maybe I should shut my mouth, drop my ego, pay attention in class, focus on driving as smoothly as possible, and stop trying to impress my instructor."

Sometimes it takes 1, 2, and 3 to get to 4, but you usually always get to 4 at some point in the first DE. Don't worry, it's still more fun than almost anything else you can do, it's just a realization that you are not anywhere near as good as you think you are.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    3. After a couple of track sessions, you go out with the really fast instructor, and the instructor is driving: "Holy crap! Are you nuts? Were never gonna make this turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do I keep myself from flying out the door when he takes these turns at warp speed???? I'm gonna die!!!!"
    you forgot the part where you say: "Again, Daddy!!!!! againagainagain!!!!!"

Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    My buddy and I have been watching races at Road Atlanta for about 10 years. I started doing BMW CCA DEs last year, and have done 4 at RA so far this year. At a Panoz Track Day last weekend, I took my buddy as a passenger on the 2nd afternoon. He stated exactly what I had learned very early: It looks a whole lot easier when you watch other guys racing around the track. He realized how much goes into actually being in the car, and we didn't have anybody passing in the turns. That adds another whole dimension to the experience.

I've gotten fairly consistent in my line and am much smoother, but I know I still have much to learn. But it is a blast.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I'm doing the Phil Wicks driving academy this Saturday at the Nashville Super Speedway. Can't wait. I'll post comments this weekend after the class.

Great thread btw!!
    "A fast car does not make a fast driver"

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    Go out there and go as fast as you are comfortable going. Wether thats faster or slower than all the traffic around you. If your comfortable at any speed, look at a lap chart follow a slower car and then build from that. Thats what i did at my first race school with scca. Actully i went balls out and spun on the 2nd lap and was scared of turn 10 at summit for like 3 events.

My Cars
    '01 325i / 330ZHP clone
    I've been playing with my car to make it eventually track/ school capable, got the suspension done/redone, stripped out all the weight it didn't need, etc.

I took it to VIR on Sunday, took a few laps with an instructor who gave me a general feel for the line of the track, and it was a paced session anyway, so what could go wrong....

It was great in the dry, but then it rained....I should have went home, but I figured it would be a great way to learn the car...big mistake.

The car got away from me coming out of the Nascar turn and I went to the outside of the track and slid backwards into the guardrail/ tires at who knows how fast. I bent up some suspension and body parts, tore up two sections of guardrail, and my son got a nice bump on his head from hitting the side glass.

I still have mixed feelings about my future plans for the car, but its driveable again. I never had any thoughts of how great a driver I was, but I have even fewer now.

50-60MPH doesn't seem like anything, speed-wise, but when you have no control over where the car is going, its pretty damn fast.

B
    '01 325i Sport Blk/ Blk, Premium, Xenons, 5spd, Bilstein Sports, H&R sports, ZHP 18s, M3 ft bumper, lip spoiler, Alcantara steering wheel, lighted shift knob, 169,700 milesk and counting.
    '07 328i Sport/ Premium/ Xenons/ Cold Weather- stock (wifes car, I just get to make the payments)
    '93 325is Red/Blk, 300k miles, cage, chip, suspension, brakes, no interior, ton of fun (son's car), could be for sale, he wants something w/ an interior now.
    '89 325i 2dr Blk/ Tan, 4.10LSD, 200k (plus) original auto, cold a/c, 325is spoiler, H&Rs, not modded but nearly new w/ maintenance items. (daughters car)

My Cars
    Chevelle,M3,Racecar
    just have fun man. the more relaxed you are, the better you will do and the more fun you'll have. Your mind wont work so good if you're all tense and anxious. just be happy you're getting the opportunbity to drive on a real racetrack and enjoy yourself. its your first time you dont have to be a stud...its like sex.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    This is a good thread... Did my first true DE last friday and wow....

Usually only driving the Nurburgring I thought I could drive pretty well... BOY WAS I WRONG...

It's amazing what you pick up in just one instruction day as opposed to just driving by yourself.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    A4 & '88 S52 Track Rat
    once again this is an amazing thread

I've done one HPDE with NASA-SE and plan on driving 5 more this year with CCA and NASA, my instructor (David Thackery) said something about one of the CCA chapters (St. Louis??) having a book they wanted all students to read before they did a track day. anyone know where i could find this book / info?? i've tried to find it online but so far no luck

thanks guys

Matt

Track Car - '88 S52 Track Rat (build in progress)
    Daily Driver - '00 A4 1.8T Quattro

Track Car Part Out - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post18628719

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by =BA=
    This is a good thread... Did my first true DE last friday and wow....

Quote Originally Posted by DessicatorGC

Matt
    Hey mods! (that's you Jay)

why did you "unsticky" this thread? As shown by just the last two posts, it's a great reference. I point people here quite a bit. Just because it doesn't get many posts anymore doesn't mean it's not a valuable reference thread. IMO it should be Parked.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by DessicatorGC

I've done one HPDE with NASA-SE and plan on driving 5 more this year with CCA and NASA, my instructor (David Thackery) said something about one of the CCA chapters (St. Louis??) having a book they wanted all students to read before they did a track day. anyone know where i could find this book / info?? i've tried to find it online but so far no luck

thanks guys

Matt
    Try this thread that used to be parked: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=318459

In fact, it's still parked. Look at the 2nd parked thread: "Look Inside For Links To Several Tech Threads"
    Last edited by CorgiCoupe; 01-31-2006 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    Hey mods! (that's you Jay)

why did you "unsticky" this thread? As shown by just the last two posts, it's a great reference. I point people here quite a bit. Just because it doesn't get many posts anymore doesn't mean it's not a valuable reference thread. IMO it should be Parked.
    Take a look in the 2nd parked thread: "Look Inside For Links To Several Tech Threads". I just found it myself.

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by cterrysgd View Post
    I love this quote! I think everyone here has experienced this with stock brake fluid, pads and rotors!

Have fun and go your own pace!
    Bumping this thread because it's really, really good.

Just a couple very basic questions from a newbie in the HPDE world.

I'd like to head to VIR in March for a TrackDaze event, but I'm just a bit concerned on the "side affects" of my daily-driven M3. How would I fair with Axxis Ultimate pads (6 months old) and Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic brake fluid? Also, I've got about 60% on my Michelin Pilot Sports, what can I expect as far as thread wear after the event?

Thanks guys.

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    91 318is, Truck
    what can I expect as far as thread wear
    This thread is pretty worn. It's several years old.

Pads, depends on how fast you go I guess. Those are street pads so if you have some natural talent they might get a bit overheated. I wouldn't worry about it, just monitor them throughout the day, as everything else on the car.

Brake Fluid won't be a huge deal as long as yours is fresh, I'd make sure I had good lube in the engine, trans, diff too before you go. It's cheap and easy to change, older street cars will leak slowly sometimes and they might not have enough fluid in them anymore. Therefore, I don't recommend the 'lifetime' fills. :-).

You won't care about tire wear anymore after the event.

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Thanks for the response, and I know this thread is old - but that's what searching is for!

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Next question:

What should I expect as to the paddock area. I'd like to bring my tools, fluids, a cooler, a chair, and my camera along with me. Should I just put everything in a large tupperware container? Are we assigned a "parking space" so to speak? TIA

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    e36
    In the 2+ years I have been tracking I've never heard of assigned parking spots. However, if you'd like a spot in the shade or near a designated area you should plan on getting to your event early.

Personally, I think some people just over think the whole track day thing. Bring some tools, water, a chair, fluids and maybe some belts. Each time I go to the track I find myself bringing less and less.

My Cars
    Techno M3/2/5 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ESMcBlurM3 View Post
    How would I fair with Axxis Ultimate pads (6 months old)
    My first time I went out with those pads, I set them on fire. They are NOT road racing pads. I doubt even a beginner would have trouble overheating them.

And when brakes fail, it sucks (ask me how I know). Here's what goes on in about 2 seconds:
    1 - Brake
    2 - keep holding brake
    3 - pedal shoots suddenly to the floor
    4 - S#%!#$!!!
    5 - I'm going to die
    6 - Bump strip
    7 - Grass
    8 - ?!?
    9 - Stopped
    10 - Conclusion: F***

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by genesismachine View Post
    My first time I went out with those pads, I set them on fire. They are NOT road racing pads. I doubt even a beginner would have trouble overheating them.

And when brakes fail, it sucks (ask me how I know). Here's what goes on in about 2 seconds:
    1 - Brake
    2 - keep holding brake
    3 - pedal shoots suddenly to the floor
    4 - S#%!#$!!!
    5 - I'm going to die
    6 - Bump strip
    7 - Grass
    8 - ?!?
    9 - Stopped
    10 - Conclusion: F***

Thanks for the advice. I will installing HP+ pads on the fronts before the event.

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti
    I wouldn't recommend HP+ pads. They're mainly for autocross and can overheat on a high speed track like VIR. I used HP+ pads at Summit Point and had them go away at the end of the front straight. Go HT10.

My Cars
    SV650 & '13 WRX Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
    I wouldn't recommend HP+ pads. They're mainly for autocross and can overheat on a high speed track like VIR. I used HP+ pads at Summit Point and had them go away at the end of the front straight. Go HT10.
    Thanks for advice. I'm going to give them a go, as it's all I have. But we'll see and I'll know for next time.

BMWCCA #387539

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti
    That's cool. Just watch out and #1, Have Fun!!

JulianK8Z is offline Custom User Title BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1989 SpecE30
    Quote Originally Posted by DessicatorGC View Post
    My instructor (David Thackery) said something about one of the CCA chapters (St. Louis??) having a book they wanted all students to read before they did a track day. anyone know where i could find this book / info?? i've tried to find it online but so far no luck
    Here you go:

http://www.stlbmwcca.org/layout_images/dsworkbook.pdf

The document is found on this page:

http://www.stlbmwcca.org/drivingschool.shtml

Take care,

Julian

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast