Thread: E36 Window Delete

My Cars
    E36 M3 Gone,E46 M3 Next?

E36 Window Delete

Guys,

I have a bad driver side regulator and motor... and since my '99 M3 is track only, I thought about gutting the doors and making some type of removable bracket that can hold the factory glass up... then when I arrive at the track I can remove the bracket and glass.

Does anyone have pictures of how they accomplished this?

Thanks!

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    It's been done already. Search

My Cars
    '12 Cayenne S Hybrid
    Did mine simply and cheap on the race car.... They are water tight driving in the rain and they have lasted 4 years and counting..

2000 Oxford Green M5

My Cars
    sig
    Easy to do, as pictured above.

Simple DIY cliff notes:
    1. Before you remove window, raise all the way up with door closed, use sharpie to trace line where window sits with that bottom black weather stripping.
    2. Gut window and door, but save the hardware that attached the old window to regulator for reuse later on.
    3. Buy cheap Aluminum flat stock from local home store, etc or use scrap. Now cut and bend 2 to make brackets so that they will hold the window up in place at that sharpie line (finished product looks like pictured above). Drill a hole in the bottom of each bent brackets to match with two preexisting holes in OE glass and attach *only finger tight* with the original hardware (any tighter and you risk breaking the glass- personal mistake).
    4. Hang window, close door and enjoy the ghetto track car lifestyle. When you get to the track, just open the door and pull the window out, brackets stay attached to the window.
    Last edited by benaj; 07-31-2011 at 09:54 PM.

1995 BMW M3/2: arktissilber with silly stickers // a big boy's track toy, #228 IP-lite/GTS2.
    1998 BMW M3/4: arktissilber with sillier pink motorsport flags // sadly missed ex-daily driver, current track toy for the wife
    2014 Tesla Model S P85D // refreshingly mod-proof
    2014 BMW X1 // 4 banger MSport with a kiss of Dinan
    and the obnoxious towing setup to accommodate two little crazy kiddios and all their stuff that comes along with the family circus on track weekends.