Thread: DIY: Replace Socket that connects to Brake Pad Sensor Wire

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL

Moon DIY: Replace Socket that connects to Brake Pad Sensor Wire

Is the socket that connects to your brake pad sensor wire starting to crumble? Did you or a previous owner hard-wire the brake sensor wire circuit? Read on to see how to fix this...
    Supplies needed:[*]Universal socket, part # 61-13-1-392-246, quantity: 1 [*]Bushing Contact, part # 61-13-0-005-199, quantity: 2 [*]Four inches of 1/8" heat shrink tube (get this at RadioShack, Frys or similar) [*]Low-powered soldering iron (i.e., ~ 12 watts or less) [*]Some thin soldering wire [*]Heat gun or hair blow dryer [*]Wire cutter and/or wire stripper

Like many BMWs, my 1996 BMW 328i uses a brake sensor wire to alert the driver that the brake pads are in need of replacement. The brake sensor wire is usually replaced when brakes are replaced, but the plastic socket that the brake
    sensor wire plugs into is usually neglected. Over time, that socket will deteriorate to the point where it simply starts to crumble. Some have suggested that when that happens it is acceptable to connect the socket wires together and skip the functionality of the brake sensor wire. This strikes me as rather odd advice as both the socket and replacement wires are readily available from BMW and at a relatively low cost of about $11 (the socket is about $7 and the two bushing contacts are about $4).

I suspect the advice to connect the wires together comes from the fact that searching for the socket is not easy. From the E36 parts diagrams that I have seen it certainly is not obvious which socket is needed, leaving you to look at all of the universal sockets and wondering which one it might be. Fortunately the newer 3-series models have better parts diagrams. A trip to the local a BMW dealer helped solve the mystery part problem since the parts guy was able to show me a diagram from a newer 3-series that did show the socket I needed. Upon inspection of the part, I was able to verify it connected to the E36 brake sensor wire that I had brought with me. Mystery solved!

These instructions are for replacing the left front socket. The right rear socket is presumed to be similar if not the same. If you are working on your brakes, you can add these steps to your normal brake/rotor replacement routine.[*]Acquire the parts needed [*]Assemble the parts
    [LIST=1][*]Insert bushings into the universal socket.
    [LIST=1][*]Examine the bushing contacts very closely; they have a unique shape that allows them to go into the universal socket correctly.
    [*]Don't cut the new bushing contact wires yet, do that during final installation [*]Place 2" of heat shrink tube on each bushing contact wire

[*]Raise car and place jack stands at appropriate locations [*]Remove left front tire from car [*]Carefully open the plastic housing that houses the brake pad sensor wire connector [*]Disconnect brake pad sensor wire from universal socket [*]Carefully disconnect the wires on the car side from the universal socket[*]Gently use your finger nails to pry back the top tabs that hold the grommet to the metal clip [*]Pull the grommet up on the wire to move it away from the clip. [*]Gently bend the metal connector so that you can make a clean snip. You want to cut the wire just as it comes out of the metal connector clamp, leaving as much wire as possible on the car-side.[*]Gently pull the grommet down off the wire; you will not need it. [*]Use wire cutters/stripper and remove about 1/4" of insulation from end (do this carefully)

[*]Cut the bushing contact wire to the size you want.[*]Determine how much extra wire you want coming out of the new universal socket. I figure some "extra" wire is not a bad thing. I left about 8" -- way more than is necessary. [*]Use wire cutters/stripper and remove about 1/4" of insulation from end of bushing contact
    [*]Plug in the soldering iron and wait for it to heat up [*]Prep the wires[*]Very lightly tin the wires on the car and the bushing contact wires separately first. [*]Be very careful with the hot soldering iron! [*]Join the bushing contact wires to the car's wires[*]This gets tricky; having an extra pair of hands would be nice, but you are in very close quarters. I did this by myself. [*]For each bushing contact wire, place the wire alongside one of the wires on the car. [*]Use the solder iron to connect the two wires [*]Tug on the wires to verify they are connected securely and verify that you didn't leave too much solder on the wires as to prevent the heat shrink tubing from being slid into place. [*]Slide heat shrink tubing into place. [*]Use heat gun or hair blow dryer to shrink the heat shrink tube in place. [*]Connect the universal socket to the brake pad sensor wire. [*]Gently tuck the socket back into the plastic housing. [*]Depending on how much extra wire you have, you may need to make a small coil and tuck that into the recess where the car-side of the brake sensor wires originate from. [*]Place tire back on car [*]Lower car and remember to tighten lug nuts [*]Enjoy your newly repaired brake sensor capability!

9/1/2018 .... as an update to my original DIY post; the new socket components don't seem to last as long as they used to... I am the original owner of my E36 (purchased in 1996) and the front socket was replaced for the first time in 2013 when I wrote up the DIY. Earlier this year (2018) while replacing the front brake pads and sensor, the socket started to crumble. Not sure why I only got 5 years out of the replacement socket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thresher; 09-01-2018 at 06:09 PM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i sedan

Thanks !

A very useful post, especially the manufacturing part numbers for the socket and the bushings. The socket is usually referred to as "ABS sensor socket" by parts vendors so a search for a brake wear sensor socket does not return results (at least for me !).

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Thank you for this info!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    CharlesNawOB
    The guy at Bmw couldn't find part number gave him this info and he found it right away...Thank you !