Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matte White Vinyl Wrapping My E36 M3! PIC HEAVY

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by 98M3Sedan View Post
    check out www.dhgate.com.
    I believe the site is meant for only selling products in "wholesale" quantities/lots (from China).
    However, a 1.52 by 30 metre roll of vinyl seems to fall under this classification!
    For just 200 bucks shipped from China to Canada, I don't care if it's low quality vinyl...I guarantee you won't be able to beat that price.
    And after > a month, the vinyl is holding up very well!
    The major difference between this and 3M 1080 series for example, is the difficulty of application.
    The install certainly takes WAY MORE time/patience than anticipated.
    The major difference will not only be in the application but also in the UV. 3M is much superior. Don't get me wrong, your wrap was cheap, but if you considered costing your time, it makes sense to spend an extra $200-300 on proven product. That's just me though.

My Cars
    Matte White '98 M3 Sedan
    I completely agree with you, MarketMaster. I probably should've waited to save up a bit more for high-quality vinyl.
    However, at the time of purchase, I had more time on my hands than I did money. That's just the way she goes.
    Built, Not Bought.

My Cars
    94 bmw 325i
    looking good.. you should try mothers polish on your headlights. just rub a lil hard, let dry and rub off with a clean towel.
    btw passed smog with denatured alcohol sht works

My Cars
    Matte White '98 M3 Sedan
    Believe it or not I've cleaned up the headlights 3 times already!
    I've tried the 3M headlight restoration and a rubbing compound specific for plastic headlights.
    both worked amazing, but only lasted a few months before the lenses got dirty again.
    It appears that some of the hazing is on the INSIDE of the lense now :O

congrats! finally eh! i'll keep that denatured alcohol trick in mind
    Built, Not Bought.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by 98M3Sedan View Post
    Believe it or not I've cleaned up the headlights 3 times already!
    I've tried the 3M headlight restoration and a rubbing compound specific for plastic headlights.
    both worked amazing, but only lasted a few months before the lenses got dirty again.
    It appears that some of the hazing is on the INSIDE of the lense now :O

congrats! finally eh! i'll keep that denatured alcohol trick in mind
    yeah, that's the problem with the US headlights. The only real solution is to get the glass ellipsoids. They make the car look 100% better and a HUGE improvement in lighting on the road.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Woah, this wrap is gonna look sweet! Especially if you keep those DSII's in white! Sub'd.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That's what gets you. - Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    I like it. Very impressive you did it yourself very clean car dude. Keep the pics coming!

- - - Updated - - -

I like it. Very impressive you did it yourself very clean car dude. Keep the pics coming!

My Cars
    Matte White '98 M3 Sedan
    Thanks guys! Just what I needed for a little motivation to finish up the wrap.
    More pics will be coming this weekend, I promise!
    As much I love the white DSII's...unfortunately I'm getting tired of cleaning them every couple days.
    Probably going to paint them matte black this weekend as well.
    If I don't like the look, then back to white it is!
    Built, Not Bought.

My Cars
    Matte White '98 M3 Sedan
    Turns out I really like the look of the matte black DSII's! And I'm glad I won't have to clean them for weeks at a time!

Just a couple coats of primer and some cheap flat black paint, followed by a spray of rim-protectant.

I also cranked down my coilovers a little bit more...this is how she sits now.

Built, Not Bought.

My Cars
    Matte White '98 M3 Sedan
    UPDATE TIME!
    The car is pretty much fully wrapped now, with the exception of the side skirts (twisties).
    One of the hardest angles to wrap around on the entire car is the semi-circular section at the back of each quarter panel (beside the trunk).

This following photo shows the most difficult part of the entire wrap....

What a relief to finally have every major body panel finished! Keep in mind I've only been working on weekends/spare time (which is a lot less than I'd like).
    I hope these pictures inspire others to vinyl wrap their cars as well. You've been warned though...patience is a necessity!
    Built, Not Bought.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Those headlights will never stay polished. Drop $100 and find some glass ellipsoids in the for sale forum

My Cars
    Busted E36
    Very cool. Still debating on tackling a project like this myself.

Sig by Compactive - Photo by 1013MM

My Cars
    E46M3, S52T E30, E21T
    Resurrecting your old thread... wondering how long your vinyl held up, and how it came off when you decided to remove it? Or is it still on? How's your paint underneath holding up? Thanks for your time!
    CURRENT:
    Racecar: '81 e21 320i Group2. GT28 @ 25psi, MS2, e28 M5 suspension/brakes underneath, forged, cammed, 400bhp, 2190lbs, etc, etc...
    Daily: '95 e34 540/6. DUDMD tuned, vogtland/koni, Schnitzers, other minor touches.
    Project: '94 525iT. S50 swapped, supercharger in the works, manual swapped, Airlift supsension, Mpars, Brembo's, clean machine.
    New daily: e60 530i sport package. Stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12