Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Top Cali Edition 318Ti. (California Roof Delete) - Andro Fiver BUILD UPDATE #2

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition

Glass Top Cali Edition 318Ti. (California Roof Delete) - Andro Fiver BUILD UPDATE #2

After my attempt to create a manual handle to retract my california roof failed & my roof seal began leaking again, I decided I would rather have a big moon roof. .

So, A few days ago I pulled out the california targa top & took it over to a local glass shop where I had a sheet of 1/4" acrylic glass cut to the same dimension as the tracking. The guy at the glass shop was a little bit off on the size and the shape, but luckily he over estimated quite a bit. So rather than going back to complain and get another piece cut, I decided to shape and fit the glass myself. After a quick stop at the hardware store for a Dremel Tool & a new palm sander, I was ready to go.

I started out by removing the roof panel and tracking.

I then took the previously cut piece of acrylic sheet and placed it on top of the roof to get a better idea of what needed to be done and then traced the outer overlapping edge with a razor blade as a guide line for where to dremel away. (the duct tape stains are from my quick fix solution to the leaking problem lol)

After a little bit of trimming, re-shaping and sanding, I was ready to remove the vinyl protectant layers. I was more than happy with my results on the cut and shape

I then set the piece of glass in place and began to drill a few holes. I used only 4 bolts per side with cone shaped flat heads so they would sit as flush as possible in the glass & used the holes from the OEM targa top. I also placed 2 washers under the center of the glass as well as 2 in the rear in order to follow the concave of the roof panel.

I then sealed the edges with some clear window sealant to prevent and leaking from occurring.

The roof is now set and I am very pleased with the results so far, though I am not 100% finished yet. I am now waiting on 2 sheets of vinyl to arrive. My next move is to limo tint the glass in order to fully hide the stud heads and will also possibly wrap the roof outside the area of the glass with black vinyl, but that part is still up in the air. During the process I kind of destroyed my freshly wrapped headliner, But without the leaking I can finally put my new interior panels, rug & seats in .

I will post some pictures of the finished product once I finish, though it may have to wait an extra week or so since the car goes into the shop this week for its S52 swap.
    Last edited by ANDRO FIVER; 05-13-2013 at 05:24 AM.

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    Nice job! I hope next on your list is to get a new hood...

My Cars
    E61 530xi
    That's pretty cool! I just found a very rare moonroof for my E34 and I have to say I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by e39hamann View Post
    Nice job! I hope next on your list is to get a new hood...
    Thanks man! I do have the hood ready and waiting, But it will not be going on until the S52 swap goes in. I would mount it now but I dont want to risk anything happening to it while the car is in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieboy View Post
    That's pretty cool! I just found a very rare moonroof for my E34 and I have to say I like it a lot.
    Thanks man! That sounds pretty awesome, do you have any pics of it by any chance?
    Last edited by ANDRO FIVER; 05-13-2013 at 02:52 PM.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Very sick man, I really like the idea. It's cool to watch this thing evolve.
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

My Cars
    E61 530xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDRO FIVER View Post

Thanks man! That sounds pretty awesome, do you have any pics of it by any chance?
    It is! I really liked the one in my E39 so I have always wanted one for the E34. Here's an iphone picture, it's all I got for now.

Your moonroof is huge lol! You should make tracks on the side and fabricate some sort of "California top" style inside cover.
    Last edited by Boogieboy; 05-13-2013 at 05:35 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Nice!! Good thing you have a new hood to .. sounds like a cool project!

My Cars
    88 325is, 95 540i6
    It is! I really liked the one in my E39 so I have always wanted one for the E34. Here's an iphone picture, it's all I got for now.

Your moonroof is huge lol! You should make tracks on the side and fabricate some sort of "California top" style inside cover.
    Wow that looks absolutely perfect! I'm jealous!

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I don't think I'd be able to stand the constant light/heat coming in through that thing.

My Cars
    '02 E39 M5 | '09 335i
    This is pretty creative, props to you! I'm a big fan of glass roofs. Must be awesome at night.

Now get the rest of the car up to spec

'09 335i - Alpine white + Coral Red | '02 M5 - Imola Red + Imola Red
    Gone, but never forgotten:
    '04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite .. '96 318i Alpine White / Black .. '01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red .. '96 328i Jet Black / Black

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    Very sick man, I really like the idea. It's cool to watch this thing evolve.
    Thanks man! I just wish still had a driveway and a garage. It's evolution would be soo much quicker then lol

very nice, that looks awesome dude. But I actually am gonna roll with that Idea. I figured out how to lay the tracks, now I just need to find a way to make the top retract back without allowing the folded material to hang down

Quote Originally Posted by GTRSv View Post
    Nice!! Good thing you have a new hood to .. sounds like a cool project!
    Thanks man! I'll hopefully be bringing the car for paint within the month, Soo it won't be too much longer before the rust is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I don't think I'd be able to stand the constant light/heat coming in through that thing.
    So far it hasn't been too bad, But it shouldn't be as bad once I lay the tint on

Quote Originally Posted by BL4CK-OUT View Post
    This is pretty creative, props to you! I'm a big fan of glass roofs. Must be awesome at night.

Now get the rest of the car up to spec
    Thanks man, I wish I was still in california because the night sky would have been amazing with this. But unfortunately I'm over in jersey and there is nothing cool to see out of the top over here lol. But no worries, I'm banging this project out as quickly as I can. All will soon be up to spec!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318ti
    Well done.

Fellow cali top owner, when did your roof fail? Is it a common problem? Mine still works great, it'll be a shame if it fails.

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by efficentpower View Post
    Well done.

Fellow cali top owner, when did your roof fail? Is it a common problem? Mine still works great, it'll be a shame if it fails.
    Heyy, My roof was failed from the start when I bought the car from Ragnorak. I believe he used the cali top in this one to repair the one in his car. I just went ahead and sealed it shut since the motor went & I didn't plan on using the cali top much anyway, but once the seal started leaking again I decided it was time to just remove the whole thing all together and abort my plans for the hand crank. From what I hear, it's pretty common to stop working. But it is most common for the motor to stop working rather than the leaking part. All in all, Good luck with your top, it's a rare piece and very expensive to replace!

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDRO FIVER View Post
    Heyy, My roof was failed from the start when I bought the car from Ragnorak. I believe he used the cali top in this one to repair the one in his car. I just went ahead and sealed it shut since the motor went & I didn't plan on using the cali top much anyway, but once the seal started leaking again I decided it was time to just remove the whole thing all together and abort my plans for the hand crank. From what I hear, it's pretty common to stop working. But it is most common for the motor to stop working rather than the leaking part. All in all, Good luck with your top, it's a rare piece and very expensive to replace!
    Yes, I originally bought that car to repair the Cali top on my current 318ti. The common failure mode is when the rails are not lubricated and the motor exerts extra effort on the roof sliding mechanism. The motor drives a small gear that strips under this load. That's why most 318ti's with Cali tops that don't work will still spin the motor, which you can hear, but won't open the roof.

Lesson of the day? Lube the roof rails if you want to keep the top working well. If you don't, this is a pretty cool alternative!
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

My Cars
    99 m3,92 325iC,90 325is
    Thank god it never hails in new jersey or anything

Last edited by e30lov; 05-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.

99' m3 90' 325is 92' 325iC 95' 540i/6

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by e30lov View Post

better have a garage
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by e30lov View Post

...Acrylic is about 300x stronger than your everyday window glass.. If the hail isn't shattering the skylight window in the ceiling of my room, I highly doubt it will do much here

Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    better have a garage
    Unnecessary..

My Cars
    1990 325is
    Is this some sort of application specific material? From my experience using acrylic for architecture models it scratches extremely easily. You might want use some kind of protective film over it or its going to look awful the first time you wash your car.

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxpunk2006 View Post
    Is this some sort of application specific material? From my experience using acrylic for architecture models it scratches extremely easily. You might want use some kind of protective film over it or its going to look awful the first time you wash your car.
    The materials actual purpose was originally for outdoor window and deck window subdivisions. This stuff is pretty hard to scratch But I will be applying a tint layer to the top either way, in order to reduce heat inside

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaTop View Post
    hey man,nice work out there.I have the same idea and you came like an angel,nokidding!!!!! I have the same problem and a want the glass roof soo bad.Can you please send me an email @ nsimeonov2007@gmail.com and tell me more details about the type of glass.
    Best Regrats!!!!!
    P.S. here's mine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5966671...n/photostream/
    Hey, Sorry it's taken me a few days to answer back, haven't been on here in about a week or so & the new law firm I'm working at has this site banned, it's as if they already knew I'd be sneaking on here daily lol. But that's awesome man, glad I've inspired someone else to pursue doing this! I'd be glad to help you out, I'll shoot an e-mail over your way in a few minutes. Overall, It's not hard at all but it will take you a few hours to do.

UPDATE! : I've decided to have a little bit of fun with the frame of the original california rag top & have come up with another idea. About 2 weeks ago I spotted some plaid waterproof marine canvas on eBAY and click, the brain bulb was on. I was a fan of the canvas from the start because the plaid reminds me of my Scottish family tartan, But it also re-sparked my original interest which was to re-wrap the OEM frame and create a new slide and lock mechanism for opening and closing the top. My plan is to mount (3) flat 4" wide panels of sheet aluminum directly to the sliding brackets. These brackets will be used to not only slide the top open, but they will also keep the tops natural shape. I will then run a separate track that the material will be tucked and mounted on to. These (2) brackets will be 2" wide pieces and will be placed in between the centers of the (3) 4" panels. I am going to use (2) thumb spring lock hinges in order to be able to lock the top shut from the inside, yet still be able to open and close the top with ease. I am also going to mount a very basic handle in order to keep with that ease. Overall, I am going to make this work one way or another. Stay tuned!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G

Is that in Woodstock!? Your E34 is so nice Ralph... btw you going to the meet tomorrow?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    Trash
    <3 the glass roof in my M.

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    [QUOTE=AndrewH;26473030]<3 the glass roof in my M.

your car. fap.

What the hell has happened to rides and styling.......

My Cars
    E61 530xi
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post

Is that in Woodstock!? Your E34 is so nice Ralph... btw you going to the meet tomorrow?
    Yes it's woodstock, "Lucky's" on 92. I will be at the meet tonight.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Yes it's woodstock, "Lucky's" on 92. I will be at the meet tonight.

yep I've been to that store, it's a nice liquor store! Cool I'll see you there.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast