Thread: I am stuck!!! ENGINE NO START TEMP GAUGE READS HOTTT

My Cars
    E39

Exclamation I am stuck!!! ENGINE NO START TEMP GAUGE READS HOTTT

The engine cranks fine but doesn't start I waited for 10 minutes and tried again it fired right up but only ran for 5 seconds and then die. I again waited 10 mins but didn't help it won't start at all now. I noticed with key on the temperature gauge dial first moves between cold and normal stays there for 1 second then suddenly spikes all the way to hot side, gauge stays on Hot while cranking the engine. I had to leave the car at work. I go later tonight or tomorrow morning and try to start it again. What should I do?

1997 540i 6speed M62B44
    Last edited by E32Ownur; 05-11-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added year make model

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Did you have the dual temp sensor disconnected at some point when you were trying to start it? If so, disconnect the battery for a few min and then reconnect it, that may fix the temp gauge issue.
    No start, is the fuel pump running? If it is, is the fuel filter clogged?

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Did you have the dual temp sensor disconnected at some point when you were trying to start it? If so, disconnect the battery for a few min and then reconnect it, that may fix the temp gauge issue.
    No start, is the fuel pump running? If it is, is the fuel filter clogged?
    No, I haven't touch any sensors yet. I can't tell if the fuel pump is running but I am gonna recheck it.

My Cars
    E39
    Good news. I went to start the car this morning and it started right up drove around few miles no problem. This time I did notice the Temperature gauge did not go all the way to HOT. I need to figure out whats causing the Temp gauge to spike all the way to hot side because this is when I have no start problem.

I could be wrong but I have noticed no start issue usually happens when the car is at normal operating temperature and the weather is hot. I have owned the car for 4 yeras now. I gotten this no start problem at least 10 times since owning the car whenever this happens i have to wait and try starting the car again and it always starts up.