Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed, Touring Celis rear light retrofit

My Cars
    98 M3, '99 540iT, '93 FD
    I do not remember precisely which I changed, but I THINK I changed:

Made the following inactive (or nicht_aktiv):
    BRAKE LIGHTS AS TURN SIGNALS
    BRAKE LIGHTS AS HAZARD LIGHTS
    BRAKE LIGHTS AS TURN SIGNALS (this is given twice in the LCM)

Made the following nicht_melden (not reported):
    LOW BEAM FAULT (for HID low fault)
    FRONT FOG LIGHT FAULT

I changed the following to aktiv:
    LED TAIL LIGHT OPTION

bmv528ie39, do you know what will need to be done to the LCM coding in addition to the above to protect your Celis lights?

1996 Boston M3-RIP
    1998 Fern M3-daily

My Cars
    '99 540i6T, '99 M5
    Good man, thanks for that

I'll give those values a go when I figure out how to reset the LCM with DIS.

My Cars
    '99 540i6T, '99 M5
    Just to cap this thread off, I ended up forgetting about DIS, too much hassle to get it working. I paid Mr BMW to recode my lights for me and clear the headlights always on problem. Only cost about £60 in the end and everything is sorted. In hindsight, probably one of the least rewarding mods done to the BMW when you consider the hassle I had, but at least its a mod ticked off the list. Whats next I wonder...

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I have been trying to code my lights using the LKMIIIb with no luck. I cant get the turn signals to work nor the hatch lights. If I use my old LKM and try and re-code, still no luck. My OEM LKM makes all my tail lights light up when I brake (including turn signals). I also get rear tails out and the Celis flickr.

I don't even see an option to switch tails to LED using either LKM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Does anyone know what resistors we need to prevent the flickering of the bulbs? I just haven't been turning my lights on and/or driving at night until I get the issue resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Radio Shack Product No. 276-1771. Description- 7812 12V Regulator-$1.99 each + Shipping. Bought these online.

NAPA part no. LS6472 or LS6449. These are part numbers for the bulb holders which came with bulbs. I believe they are the same bulbs found in the repeaters on the sides of our cars just behind the front wheels above the side moldings. The smaller wattage 12 volt bulb the better-less heat.

Edit-Napa is an auto parts chain here in the U.S. (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0)

Radio Shack is an electronics chain here (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062600)
    I missed this post before so I will try them out.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    My friend was able to code my LKMIIIb for the celis tails using autologic. No bulb out and no flicker. All works as it should!

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    My friend was able to code my LKMIIIb for the celis tails using autologic. No bulb out and no flicker. All works as it should!
    Was he able to code the pattern so the top section works as a turn signal only?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    No, he didn't try that. He just had a box that said retrofit LED tails and it fixed the flickering and eliminated the bulb out warning with one click. I was wondering about that after I left. And he wasn't able to find the place to change mileage to get rid of the tamper dot. He called auto logic and they said it's impossible and that I would have to buy a new LKM which is total hogwash.

I can go back at anytime to try and tweak the setup. I would definitely like to turn off the turn signals as brake light feature.

My Cars
    318ti, e39 528i , 528it
    How do I know if I have an LCM (I think I need LCM III from what im reading) that can be coded correctly? I have a 99 touring with a build date before 03/99 and just installed the OEM red LED Celis off the facelift e39 tourings and now have the tail light error...is there a way to check if I have the right LCM, maybe realoem? and if there is anyone local that can do the coding for me?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You should be able to if you plug in your vin. My new one said LKMIIIb on the label IIRC.

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    RVAE34, thank you for finding out that Autologic can make this change! Now I just need to find the cheapest shop with Autologic so I can pay them for appropriate mouse click

FWIW: Same situation, 2000 528iAT with facelift tails. I used BMW Scanner 1.4 on a used (eBay) LKM IIIB to match the VIN and lower the mileage to match my IKE which got rid of the tamper dot. I was getting nowhere trying to program out the bulb out/flicker with Scanner when I found this post.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Well it turned out that the LCM IIIB i purchased was damaged so I had to put this on the back burner. I now have another LCM IIIB. I successfully changed VIN and mileage to get rid of the tamper dot. I matched all of the coding to the original LCM III and have an appointment with the Autologic system at Tech Tuning FS (Crofton, MD) next week to enable LED tails.

RVAE34 > Please let me know the part number (BMWTNR) of your LCM IIIB.

FYI: My damaged LCM is 6-919-454 (black label/unknown donor) and the working one is 6-915-919 (yellow label/2002 530i)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I would have to pull it to get that PN unfortunately. Paul (blackknight530i) is the one who coded my lights for Euro too btw. In fact, he might be able to do it all for you but you would have to send him your LKM I assume. Might be worth reaching out to him regardless since he isn't too far from you so shipping turnaround would be quick.

If you don't get them coded for Euro, you won't pass inspections. I would have thought autologic could code for Euro but the local guy I first used couldn't figure out how.
    Last edited by RVAE34; 10-30-2015 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    I would have to pull it to get that PN unfortunately. Paul (blackknight530i) is the one who coded my lights for Euro too btw. In fact, he might be able to do it all for you but you would have to send him your LKM I assume. Might be worth reaching out to him regardless since he isn't too far from you so shipping turnaround would be quick.

If you don't get them coded for Euro, you won't pass inspections. I would have thought autologic could code for Euro but the local guy I first used couldn't figure out how.
    I would like to get the clear euro rear turn signals. But worried about the recoding. This could be a good option since the car will be put up for Michigan winter. Hmmm.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I can't imagine why you guys couldn't ship your LKM's to Paul and let him code them at home. We had a problem with my touring since the LS swap was done with the GM computer so we took it out, swapped it into my M5 and he coded it in that car. You would want to check with him of course.

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    I PM'd blackknight530i yesterday. I am waiting for his reply.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Sorry for the delayed response, I've been moving to a new house the last couple days and it's been absolutely crazy. Yeah, I can easily code your LCM for you, but it'll take me several days to get my workbench all set up again. I have a few people in line needing cluster repair work, but coding your LCM should be a really simple process. Do you just need the Euro option set, or do you need other stuff as well (mileage, VIN, other coding options)?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    blackknight530i > Congrats on the new house! I want the same setup as RVAE34. He said that he had to use the Euro configuration to pass inspection so that sounds good to me. I can do the VIN and mileage so I just need someone who can code out the error and flicker from the facelift tails.

I will PM you my phone number. Please contact me when you get the chance and we can go over the details. Thank you in advance!

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    I have been PM'ing with BlackKnight530i and I want to bring things back out to the post to share.

Blacknight530i says that NCS Expert will do the job as well as Autologic so I am done with trying to get PA Soft to do it. I made some great progress today finding NCS Expert and getting it working. Thanks to this fantastic post from Joylove: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...08/#post691466

The good news is that the LED Tail Light Option was already active in the used LCMIIIB i purchased so they are not flickering when on or flashing intermittently when off. On the downside, since the donor was a sedan (2002 530i), the light configuration and some warnings need to be tweaked.

Here is the current configuration of the LCMIIIB and the changes that need to be made to make it behave like the original LCMIII:
    Outer Top is Signal/Hazard (Need to add Brake)
    Outer Middle is Tail and Parking (No change)
    Outer Bottom is Brake (Need to add Signal/Hazard, Tail and Parking)
    Inner Top is Signal/Hazard (Need to remove Single/Hazard and add Tail and Parking)
    Inner Bottom: Reverse (No change)

IMPORTANT NOTE: My facelift tails are from a USA 2003 525iT with red top outer lens which is the same as the prefacelift tails it came with so I can configure them the same way and pass inspection. As mentioned by RVAE34 above, Euro tails, which have clear or amber top outer lenses, may need to be coded differently to pass inspection.

In addtion to reconfiguring the bulb functions there are two problems that need to be resolved:
    Top Brake Light is now flickering when on and flasing intermittently when off
    Cluster still shows tail lights out

I just read this tutorial on NCS Expert and it doesn't look too scary:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ith-NCS-Expert

I am now feeling brave enough to try and make a small change with NCS Expert. If that goes well it is just a matter of translation.

Blackknight > Could this be as easy as finding an e39 USA facelift touring and using NCS Expert to save its file and write it to my LCM? That would sure make this easier.
    Last edited by JaxPlanet; 11-03-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Learned more about the problem.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
    Blackknight > Could this be as easy as finding an e39 USA facelift touring and using NCS Expert to save its file and write it to my LCM? That would sure make this easier.
    Unless you retrofitted facelift headlights, you'll get errors for the lack of angel eyes / parking lights. And it'd have to be same version LCM as what you have.

Easiest way is to just add "2000000000" to your VN string and then recode your LCM w/ a blank FSW_PSW.MAN file. This happens to be exactly what autologic, DIS, Progman, ISTA/P, etc. do when retrofitting facelift tails.

Full instructions:

1. Go to C:\NCSEXPER\WORK and create a file called "FSW_PSW.MAN" and keep it empty.
    2. Load whichever profile you use for coding (expert mode, revtor's, FAL, etc.)
    3. Click FG/ZCS/FA
    4. Click ZCS/FA f. ECU
    5. Select E39, and read the ZCS from whichever module you want (EWS will always work, IKE will work if you have the high cluster, and KMB will work if you have the low cluster).
    6. Click "Enter ZCS"
    7. You'll see your VIN - click okay
    8. Now you'll see 3 lines -- GM, SA, and VN. Remove the last character from each line
    9. Add "2" to the first digit of the VN string. So if it's 0 it becomes 2, if it's 1 it becomes 3, etc.
    10. Check the "calculate checksum" box and hit okay
    11. Now click back.
    12. Click Process ECU
    13. Select LCM
    14. Make sure the JOBNAME is "SG_CODIEREN", and then hit "Execute Job (F3)

Optional steps -- this will make it so that if you or a dealer ever recodes your LCM to defaults, it will keep the facelift tail setting
    1. Click "Change SG/SGET" and select "EWS"
    2. Click "Change JOB" and select "ZCS_SCHREIBEN"
    3. Click "Execute Job"
    4. Click "Change SG/SGET" and select the "IKE" or "KMB" module (only one should be present)
    5. Make sure the job type is still "ZCS_SCHREIBEN" and hit "Execute Job"

If all went well, your facelift tails should work.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-03-2015 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Unless you retrofitted facelift headlights, you'll get errors for the lack of angel eyes / parking lights. And it'd have to be same version LCM as what you have.

Easiest way is to just add "2000000000" to your VN string and then recode your LCM w/ a blank FSW_PSW.MAN file. This happens to be exactly what autologic, DIS, Progman, ISTA/P, etc. do when retrofitting facelift tails.

Full instructions:

1. Go to C:\NCSEXPER\WORK and create a file called "FSW_PSW.MAN" and keep it empty.
    2. Load whichever profile you use for coding (expert mode, revtor's, FAL, etc.)
    3. Click FG/ZCS/FA
    4. Click ZCS/FA f. ECU
    5. Select E39, and read the ZCS from whichever module you want (EWS will always work, IKE will work if you have the high cluster, and KMB will work if you have the low cluster).
    6. Click "Enter ZCS"
    7. You'll see your VIN - click okay
    8. Now you'll see 3 lines -- GM, SA, and VN. Remove the last character from each line
    9. Add "2" to the first digit of the VN string. So if it's 0 it becomes 2, if it's 1 it becomes 3, etc.
    10. Check the "calculate checksum" box and hit okay
    11. Now click back.
    12. Click Process ECU
    13. Select LCM
    14. Make sure the JOBNAME is "SG_CODIEREN", and then hit "Execute Job (F3)

Optional steps -- this will make it so that if you or a dealer ever recodes your LCM to defaults, it will keep the facelift tail setting
    1. Click "Change SG/SGET" and select "EWS"
    2. Click "Change JOB" and select "ZCS_SCHREIBEN"
    3. Click "Execute Job"
    4. Click "Change SG/SGET" and select the "IKE" or "KMB" module (only one should be present)
    5. Make sure the job type is still "ZCS_SCHREIBEN" and hit "Execute Job"

If all went well, your facelift tails should work.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Jack, this should be all you need to do. Basically, you're wanting to do the opposite of what Brandon (RVAE34) was wanting, since he has euro tails where the top clear lens is the turn signal only and the bottom lenses are just brake. His is effectively what the sedan is, but you're wanting to code yours to US touring.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    TerraPhantm > Thank you for the detailed instructions. However, I need a little clarification. If i recode with a blank MAN file, where do the settings come from? Are the automatically detected?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    TerraPhantm > Thank you for the detailed instructions. However, I need a little clarification. If i recode with a blank MAN file, where do the settings come from? Are the automatically detected?
    The GM, SA, and VN strings correspond to the engine, body, model year, options, and retrofits. NCS Expert is able to decode those strings using some of the files that are included as part of the "daten" files. And every coding file contains which options are associated with all the various parameters.

So when you program with a blank .man file, NCS looks at the option list, and codes your module according to what BMW says that options combination should be coded as.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-04-2015 at 02:44 AM.

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Thank you for the clarification TerraPhantm!

I installed the LCMIIIB used NCS to read the LCM data. I saved the TRC file with a new name so I have a backup.

Then I followed TerraPhantm's instructions but received a hard error after I modified the GM, SA and VN so I cannot continue. I attached screenshots of the the original/modified settings and the error. It does not matter if I start with EWS or KMB. I don't have revtor so I used expertmode. In addition, there is no tamper dot or any warnings in the cluster.

The best post I read regarding this error goes into many possible solutions and I am hoping someone can narrow them down:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...s-faulty-ideas

NCS-1-LCMIIB-ZCS_ORIGINAL.JPGNCS-2-LCMIIB-ZCS_MODIFY.JPGNCS-3-LCMIIB-ZCS_ERROR.JPG

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Thank you for the clarification TerraPhantm!

I installed the LCMIIIB used NCS to read the LCM data. I saved the TRC file with a new name so I have a backup.

Then I followed TerraPhantm's instructions but received a hard error after I modified the GM, SA and VN so I cannot continue. I attached screenshots of the the original/modified settings and the error. It does not matter if I start with EWS or KMB. I don't have revtor so I used expertmode. In addition, there is no tamper dot or any warnings in the cluster.

The best post I read regarding this error goes into many possible solutions and I am hoping someone can narrow them down:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...s-faulty-ideas

NCS-1-LCMIIB-ZCS_ORIGINAL.JPGNCS-2-LCMIIB-ZCS_MODIFY.JPGNCS-3-LCMIIB-ZCS_ERROR.JPG
    You were only supposed to add the 2 to the one of the boxes, not all of them. Only the 3rd box (VN) should have the added number.

-Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast