Thread: Fault in pass.-restraint system affecting airbag. Fix / Code Reset

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745 Li

Fault in pass.-restraint system affecting airbag. Fix / Code Reset

Hey everyone,

So I've just bought myself a beautiful 745Li. It came with the following error on iDrive;

Here's my walk-through of how I've fixed it... First, after looking more into this error, it seems that it's either a low-voltage issue where your battery has dropped in voltage which caused this error to trigger. Or, it's the sensor itself. If it's the sensor that's bad, you can replace the sensor with a genuine part, or purchase a bypass sensor which tricks the system into thinking someone is in the seat. Also worth noting that on some models this is a factory recall and your dealership should fix this for you. I spoke with the dealer and they said that my car did not have the specific recall. I own a 2005 745Li.

So onto the fix...

You'll need to connect to the system using a system called INPA which connects to USB (laptop) and OBDII (car).

- After getting the cable which comes with a CD, I followed the install instructions and installed the INPA 5.01 software. The CD came with several versions zipped up. I ran into a couple of problems with installation. My laptop is running Windows 7 64bit and I found out that I had to make each of the installation .exe softwares run in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatability mode. When you follow the instructions on the CD, you have to run about 3 or 4 different installers. One of the installers failed for me (even when running in compatability mode) and I had to copy all of the INPA installation files onto a blank CD and burn the CD. Then I had to install the software from the CD. Basically this software is very picky. It wants Windows XP that's for sure.

- Now that you've got it installed and configured right... you need to ensure that when you plug in the cable to your laptop that you know what COM port it is set as. I found that when I would reboot my laptop and plug in the cable again, I would sometimes get a different COM port. The first time, I got COM3. The second time I got COM4. So make sure you know what COM port you've got and ensure that the c:\windows\obd.ini file is set with the correct port.

- Next head to the car. Ignition on, but engine not running. Connect the USB first, then plug in the ODB. Load up the software as per the instructions that came with the cable.

- Click on E65. Then select the "Satellite seat passenger seat" module.

- Read the EM to make sure you do have an error code. Here's what it looked like when I read my EM:

- Then click on Clear EM.

- Done. The Airbag light went off immediately on the dash!

- While I had the INPA software running, I also cleared a pesky check engine light by selecting the Engine module N62 and reading/clearing the codes.

Hope this helps someone... just read and follow the instructions to the letter that come with the cable.

Gary
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 05-11-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Removed ebay info

My Cars
    So all you did was clear the code and didn't actually fix anything ? It'll be back
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745 Li
    2 months in and the problem has not come back.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335is 6spd
    thanks for the write up Gary! Any chance of talking you into coming down to Charlotte NC and doing this to my car with your CD and cable? If not any chance of me paying to you to loan me said CD and cable? I will make it worth your while if you're interested in either. Let me know...

Thanks in advance,

-Nate

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745 Li
    Hey Nate,

Would love to visit NC, only problem is I'm in Cali! It's a big trek just to do a little INPA work.

Your best option is to pick up a CD/Cable on ebay. They are very affordable and come with instructions etc. You can also look into re-programming certain aspects of your car with the INPA cable, so its a worthwhile investment... things like making that initial iDrive message disappear after a couple of seconds, making your trunk close when you use your remote or press the button by the steering column. And you get more data on check engine light issues than a regular OBDII scanner.

This is the exact INPA cable I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Edi...7f3552&vxp=mtr

Gary

My Cars
    2002 745Li
    Hi Garye, I have the same Fault Restraints error code. you think your recommend cable is able to reset? I have 2002 745Li

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Garye, I just bought the same exact CD/Cable from ebay that you got. I'm trying to load it on a laptop that has windows 7 OS. Is this possible, or does it have to be XP? I can put the CD in, and try to load it, and it seems not to do anything. I have the same error code on my 2006 750Li, saw this thread, and decided to try it out. Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    545i X5 4.4
    I had replaced bad battery, but left it out for a couple days when I was charging old battery out of car before buying new one. So this is when restraint system error cam up on screen. Could having battery disconnected this long trip error code? Talk of diagnostics cable in thread, could someone expand on this as to where to buy one or what the program is called, what cable and software is needed, etc.

Thanks

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745LI

Fault in passenger restraint

Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET View Post
    I had replaced bad battery, but left it out for a couple days when I was charging old battery out of car before buying new one. So this is when restraint system error cam up on screen. Could having battery disconnected this long trip error code? Talk of diagnostics cable in thread, could someone expand on this as to where to buy one or what the program is called, what cable and software is needed, etc.

Thanks
    Why is it you lose tension in the belt when this light goes on?. I have a 03 - 745LI and this is the third time the light has gone on. BMW says it's probably the sensor which is under the seat (INSANE!) and really there's no need for it to be there (if the car is driving, someone must be in the seat!) I'm not paying $1200.00 to change a sensor, but I do want the seat belt to work.

My Cars
    07 BMW 750LI
    The Bmw 750l n LI N 745L N LI Have alot of recalls on the restraint system so if i were u guys i would look up the recalls on ur cars there r alot of things BMW Needs to changd

07 BMW 750LI _LOVIN THIZ FUCKEN MONSTER_

My Cars
    2011 750I BMW
    You won't believe this "

Arrugh .. I had a guy go crazy cleaning my passenger seat and of course after I drive off
    my lights started firing up and dings all over the place.

Finally I get the mother of all lights ... 'Passenger Restraint Light ON!'

So I go on line to fine some easy shit I can do.... What the HELL I found is this brain surgery and 'Total Recall' of some cars... Come on MAN!!!

Then I get to this one 'Tech Answer' and he say's this:

NO BULLSHIT

Clean the hell out of your seat with 'Saddle Soap' then apply a Conditioner .... "WHAT!!!

Yup so I go out and get some Saddle Soap $9.50 (ouch) Conditioner ($8.50)

It 'FREAKIN WORKED !!!!

He says that the sensor stick to the leather when either to damp or wet (whichever) but say the Saddle soap cleans the leather and the conditioner shrinks it taunt ... which picks it off the sensor ......

It worked for me today. Too funny!

My Cars
    2004 745Li
    So I have the same message in my 2004 745LI and just took it to the dealership (stealership) who said it was the side airbag sensor at fault, and would cost $1k to fix. But on top of that, they said something about the windshield wiper switch was involved in the same circuit and would cost another $800 to fix and if I didn't do the wiper fix as well - it would likely give me the same or similar error message within hours/days/weeks...

So, I'm trying to figure out how to narrow this down myself rather than having them brute force it - I'm just trying to get the car ready for sale, as I'm not gonna have the 16 and 15-year-olds driving a BMW to learn in :-) Or at least, I don't wanna pay the repair bills when they crash/ding it.

I've seen what I believe is a bypass third-party mechanism that I could install, maybe around $50 to try. But given there are a lot of signals flying around in the network, I can't help imagine that won't bring up something else. I could also replace the satellite module (in the drivers door I believe?) or the seat sensor.

Suggestions? I really don't wanna spend $1800 just to turn around and try to sell it for $4k salvage anyway (although I replaced the water pump which was making noise and I believe scared off Carmax).