Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 840Ci as a daily driver?

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by 1989 e3o View Post
    Replaceing it with a glass sunroof would kill both birds with one stone. Does anyone do this on the 8's? Only saw peopl me swap glass in e30's when I searched it.
    You would be the first.............

My Cars
    1997 BMW 850 CI
    This is a great thread! I have been admiring the 8 series since..... well since the 90s actually, but have recently started to eyeball them online. There is such a large price gap that I'm not sure what's considered a "good deal" or even an average resale price. But I do have a favorite which is being sold by a dealership in SoCal for about 19k (link below) Thing is it has 119k miles on it. I have also seen some models with nearly half the miles for half the price (perhaps too good to be true?) Is it wise to buy an 8 series with over 100k miles or is this pretty common considering the age?

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...40ci/100751865

My Cars
    E31s
    Whether this particular example is worth $19K or $9K is in large part a function of what maintenance has been performed on it. Access to the PO's maintenance records is really important. For example, the M62 engine typically needs a valley pan gasket job somewhere between 100-120K miles and that job can run $4,000. Have the suspension bushings and control arms been replaced? Does the rear main seal leak? Is the headliner sagging or has it been already addressed? Lots of maintenance things need attention on E31s that are in part due to the age of the vehicle, such as gaskets and seals, replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the general module, and so forth.

With proper maintenance the M62 should be good for 250,000+ miles.

Several years ago I purchased a '96 840Ci with 142K miles on it; the PO had spent $45K(!) on repairs during his ownership, the majority of it with one of the finest BMW tuners on the east coast, yet I have had to attend to a number of issues, such as a rebuild of the power steering pump, replacement of the rear main seal which failed after my purchase, and some front suspension issues--but I was able to buy the car for ony $6K! With the current popularity of E31s, those days are probably gone forever.
    SteveCT
    E31s
    F30 daily driver

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Proper maintenance on these cars, like any older model car, is key. If this car has had attention paid to it over the years it can serve you well. There are many opinions about what things wear out and to some extent it just depends on the car. I would say that one of the most consistent needs for repair on these cars is suspension parts, bushings and control arms wear out after the years.

What I would recommend is that you contact Alec C. on this forum. He is an E31 broker who sells each car after he's brought it up to a high standard of service. Take your time looking for a car. If you want a project for yourself expect to pay $8-10k, cars that are well sorted can go above $20k...your choice. Either way you'll spend $17-25k in the final analysis sorting out a car. After that they are very reliable. Good luck and everyone on the E31 forum will help you with any questions.

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    Quote Originally Posted by 1989 e3o View Post
    Replaceing it with a glass sunroof would kill both birds with one stone. Does anyone do this on the 8's? Only saw peopl me swap glass in e30's when I searched it.
    Done! I did this in 2017.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Get-ready-for

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    You would be the first.............
    Update....he would now be the second. ��
    Last edited by rharris99; 03-12-2019 at 11:52 AM.

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    I thought it was my car! Same M Pars. Smoked corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Except 850

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Done! I did this in 2017.
    Yes you did sir - awesome mod and I hope to get this done over the summer - have to get the name of the shop from you...

My Cars
    1995 840ci, 1989 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    While that production date is correct, the car is considered a 1995 model year by BMW. The steering wheel with the colored roundel came 9/94 though...

This particular car got the Alusil block replacement at 52,000 miles.
    Is there a place you can find out when a block was replaced under warranty?

My Cars
    "95 840 Ci Sport Indi

Costs

Mines a daily driver since 2009.
    Petrol is 2€ per gallon and I get 15mpg !
    I live in HK so heavy traffic.
    My commute is only 6 miles each way but can take 45-60 minutes due to congestion. Heat plays a factor in wear and tear.
    I have a breakdown of all my costs and I can't seem to be able to upload it here.
    You can email me on rhatter@gmail.com if u are interested
    I've pretty much completely rebuilt it.
    All the cooling system, suspension, hydraulic system etc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123