Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 840Ci as a daily driver?

My Cars
    1997 840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 1989 e3o View Post
    Well it took a while but I should have my 840ci next week.
    Congrats! Time for a new user name? ;-P

My Cars
    1993 850CI
    WELCOME to the club... and if you need help just ask us here.. alot of talented and experienced member that can help you identify and fix any issue... OH YEAH! post some pictures of the beast...

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Congrats! Time for a new user name? ;-P
    Thanks! I guess it is time for a new screen name now and a new signature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chinito03 View Post
    WELCOME to the club... and if you need help just ask us here.. alot of talented and experienced member that can help you identify and fix any issue... OH YEAH! post some pictures of the beast...
    Thanks I'll get some pics up soon.

My Cars
    e93 3.20d / 96'' 8.40cia
    i have a 96 840ci as daily driver atm in my country it is normaly hard to have a big engine car due to gas prices ..
    a gallon of gasoline costs 9.62 dollars in turkey .. very expensive but i realy love my car so i use it as a daily driver , with 6-7 mpg when i go fast (and furious ) and 14-17 mpg when im relaxed .
    i strongly advies one , it is a confortable car with the electronic steats / heat seats , electronic damper control , electronicaly adjustable steering wheel and all it is also a car with good performance and very responsive , you can run in any gear at any speed and it'll pull with no probs , if u are a speed maniac u can also go fast it also looks sporty and has a good coupe shape .. aaand ofcourse the popup headlights congrats
    1996 BMW 840Cia 91kmiles . blue / black interrior - daily driver
    2011 BMW 320Cd convertible 16kmiles - sold but not forgotten
    2001 BMW 320Ci 77kmiles . silver/ gray interrior - ex daily driver,also sold but not forgotten

My Cars
    1995 840 Ci, 1959 Sprite
    My 95' 840 has been a daily driver for me since 09.Very dependable with proper care and bringing up to spec before using.Get new, good batteries, change fluids properly including lifetime tranny fluid (auto).Repair or replace rear shock mounts.Pretty much check all normal wear and tear items.As others have said, front prone to 55mph shimmy if parts are worn much.A/C compressors tend to bite dust about 100 k miles.Get those fixed and you're good for another 100k.Happy motoring.You'll love the comments, stares and honks too.
    Last edited by vet73; 06-07-2013 at 07:26 PM.

My Cars
    1993 850CI
    It's a great car... Drove z32 300zx twin turbo 0-60 5.2sec . 3000gt vr4 (twin turbo) 0-60 4.9sec. When I started driving this beautiful beast .. The handling and comfort is way better than those two feels like ur riding a 747 jet, even though those previous two cars are equipped with all wheel steering... The down part of this car is the acceleration... 0-60 mph about 6sec or 7sec... all stock though. Its an heavy car.... Keep up on the maintenance... Love the car and the car will take care of you.... Correct me if i am wrong, 840ci has more mpg than 850... When am n crazy driving mode she gives 12mpg combine... Eco mode about 14 to 19mpg combine that's obc reading but I calculated it thru miles accumulated/gallon of gas consumed.. It gave me 18.6 mpg combined... You'll love it.....
    Last edited by chinito03; 06-07-2013 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    e93 3.20d / 96'' 8.40cia

0-100 run with my 840 about 7 seconds and a half from 0 to 100
    2001 BMW 320Ci 77kmiles . silver/ gray interrior - ex daily driver,also sold but not forgotten

My Cars
    840Ci
    I bought my 1995 BMW 840 in 2000 with 50k on the od, for the first 5 year I only drove the car 2 days a week and put 50k. When I hit the century mark I began driving the car daily. Now with 164k and love every bit of driving the car as I did when I first bought it. Be prepared for thumbs up and lengthy conversations with strangers about the elegance and graceful design of our cars.

Not sure if member in this forum, but my wife was driving the 840 today in Fountain Valley and was stopped by man in a Prius at an office parking lot that was passionate about the e31 and spoke of his ground up restore of his own 850. Thought that was cool, hopefully someone here would love to see your car.

My Cars
    '01 740iL, '95 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by tektran View Post
    ...Be prepared for thumbs up and lengthy conversations with strangers about the elegance and graceful design of our cars.
    That happens every time I drive it I don't daily mine, but only because I combine a mixture of driving with my 740 also, during the week. But I won't hesitate to jump in it for a 2-4 hour drive to the mountain or a road trip. Taken care of regularly, she's never let me down and I don't expect her to.

My Cars
    e93 3.20d / 96'' 8.40cia
    Happens alot whenever i go to a restaurant , a cafe or even when i stop at lights people tell me how beatiful the car is it realy feels good , lay the seats back , open the sunroof , put some music (but not too loud so i can hear the engine ) and cruise at 40-45mph light my pipe and enjoy the ride .. Sometimes turn your head and see people looling at you
    it might be and is an old car but people ( even those who dont know much about cars or have a particular taste for them ) love it it is a perfect car in my opinion . You dont need those expensive İdrives or touchscreens, the 8 already has everything you can ask from a car

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    Heading up to little Rock to check it out today and sign some papers. I really hope the car looks as good in real life as it does in pictures. I will check for shimmy at 55. I'll check for rough idle with and without the a/c on. I'll chech how the trans Shifts, I'll look to make sure the suspension and radiator are new as he said, I'll check the headlight motors to make sure they work properly and is there anything 8 series specific that I should check and am missing on this list?

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    I took a copy of Olin's "Buying an E31" http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1694473 with me and found it very helpful just a simple but thorough checklist that reminded me of all the things to look at and ask. Good Luck!

My Cars
    '01 740iL, '95 840Ci
    I did the same thing

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Glad you guys find it useful!

I tried to add as many E31-specific checks to it as I could think of.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1694473

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    Well the interior isn't perfect but it's not bad. The headliner is falling off the sunroof panel so I'll have that replaced. The asc and abs lights are on so I'll clean the sensers and see if that helps. There is a little rust on the sunroof but just a small bit. The car is tight and feels great at every speed. The a/c works great and after my 200 mile drive home last night it performs beautifully. Rides great no shimmy and I love it so far. The low beam Headlights are a little dim for me but I'm sure that's an easy fix.

- - - Updated - - -

A few cell phone shots.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    White is somewhat uncommon on the E31. I like it. Welcome to our home.

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    I like it too. Welcome to the madness, and if you ever come near New Orleans gave me a shout.

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by MHambrice View Post
    I like it too. Welcome to the madness, and if you ever come near New Orleans gave me a shout.
    I'm gonna be in Biloxi on the 21-23. Might have to swing threw N.O. on my way home.

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    I'm gonna be in Biloxi on the 21-23. Might have to swing threw N.O. on my way home.
    I'm near Picayune NE of NOLA. We go to Biloxi a lot more than New Orleans when we go out. PM me.

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 850i, 92 318iC
    Congratulations on the car, I took the jump from an e30 to an e31 and have loved every minute of it. Hell even the numbers are consecutive so it's a natural progression. Enjoy the car

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Well the interior isn't perfect but it's not bad. The headliner is falling off the sunroof panel so I'll have that replaced. The asc and abs lights are on so I'll clean the sensers and see if that helps. There is a little rust on the sunroof but just a small bit. The car is tight and feels great at every speed. The a/c works great and after my 200 mile drive home last night it performs beautifully. Rides great no shimmy and I love it so far. The low beam Headlights are a little dim for me but I'm sure that's an easy fix.

- - - Updated - - -

A few cell phone shots.
    I like the white, looks great. The headliner is something almost all of us deal with at sometime or another. The rust on the sunroof will require a panel replacement. There is much discussion here about replace or repair...IMHO the consensus is replace. If you want to do it yourself go to: Frankies website. There is much to be found there as well as Timm's outstanding support site.

Have fun and be patient...oh, and get a bigger wallet.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Welcome to the family.

My Cars
    '01 740iL, '95 840Ci
    Nice looking 8! Welcome aboard

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    I like the white, looks great. The headliner is something almost all of us deal with at sometime or another. The rust on the sunroof will require a panel replacement. There is much discussion here about replace or repair...IMHO the consensus is replace. If you want to do it yourself go to: Frankies website. There is much to be found there as well as Timm's outstanding support site.

Have fun and be patient...oh, and get a bigger wallet.
    Replaceing it with a glass sunroof would kill both birds with one stone. Does anyone do this on the 8's? Only saw peopl me swap glass in e30's when I searched it.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Replaceing it with a glass sunroof would kill both birds with one stone. Does anyone do this on the 8's? Only saw peopl me swap glass in e30's when I searched it.
    Never seen one or heard of one being done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast