Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: After 7 years, I'm gonna say goodbye to the 328i

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Nice M3 you got there, I assume it already came with the x-brace and now adding the Motorsport strut brace makes it complete.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Nice M3 you got there, I assume it already came with the x-brace and now adding the Motorsport strut brace makes it complete.
    Thanks.

Yes all verts, at least over here got the x-brace from factory.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 + 99 M3 convertible
    Hi there,

I must ask you if the BBS wheels fit without any rubbing issues? What tire sizes are you running?

I also have a very low milage (46000 km) E36 M3 convertible with SMG and want to keep it original (no arch work is allowed). I have the RS212/197-combo and plan to swap the outer rings to get 8 + 9 x 17 - the same as you have. Before re-doing them I need to know if they will fit w/o modifications.

/R

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Hey Robbo,

Be sure to join the convertible sub section and throw in some pics. Nice to hear another SMG1 owner joing in.

Can't really give a definitive answer. It's not just the wheel specs, but also what tyre and amount of camber you run.

212/197 are the centers with lower ET13 so yours should then stick out more with 8/9 with being the same as mine are 302's with ET40 (now ET26).

Front is no problem at all. Rears rub a little bit. I'm also for keeing everything original, but I had the rear arches (fenders) ever so slightly pulled. It's completely invisible. Plus point is that the inner lip is comepletely rolled flat and sealed off. This means no factory rust traps anymore, which over time could form rust on the rear fender lips.
    Had this done on both my 328i and M3.

IG:

My Cars
    97 + 99 M3 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Hey Robbo,

Be sure to join the convertible sub section and throw in some pics. Nice to hear another SMG1 owner joing in.

Can't really give a definitive answer. It's not just the wheel specs, but also what tyre and amount of camber you run.

212/197 are the centers with lower ET13 so yours should then stick out more with 8/9 with being the same as mine are 302's with ET40 (now ET26).

Front is no problem at all. Rears rub a little bit. I'm also for keeing everything original, but I had the rear arches (fenders) ever so slightly pulled. It's completely invisible. Plus point is that the inner lip is comepletely rolled flat and sealed off. This means no factory rust traps anymore, which over time could form rust on the rear fender lips.
    Had this done on both my 328i and M3.
    Hi MParallel

We'll have to wait with the pics as the car is covered and parked for the winter.

If I've done the math the wheels should end up being ET26. Replacing the outer lips using 1/2" thinner ones should end up with the following; ET13 + 13 (1/2") = ET26

The camber setting is original and the tire sizes I was thinking of using are 225/45 + 245/40.
    I supose this will be impossible... So it's better to keep the original look and maybe use the wheels on my other M3 (which has pulled arches all around).

What tire sizes do you have?

/R

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I'm not really following your math. The give ET value for the center is listed for the original BBS wheel with its factory barrel and lip. Don't know the spec for that number out the top of my head. So with your lip/barrel combo, you might not have 13 to start with.

I run 205/45 and 215/45. It's true this is not favorable as I would like wider tyres, but my car is mainly my summer fun car and not a track car. I have seen guys running wider wheels with low offset wheels, but they usually run agressive camber.

IG:

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    This is the first time I caught myself looking at a vert lol. Nice AW ragtop.
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    97 + 99 M3 convertible
    I'm not really following your math. The give ET value for the center is listed for the original BBS wheel with its factory barrel and lip. Don't know the spec for that number out the top of my head. So with your lip/barrel combo, you might not have 13 to start with.

I run 205/45 and 215/45. It's true this is not favorable as I would like wider tyres, but my car is mainly my summer fun car and not a track car. I have seen guys running wider wheels with low offset wheels, but they usually run agressive camber.

My bad: by removing e.g. 1/2" you will only influence the ET by half of that value. (6,35 mm). In my case this would result in 8" ET 19 and 9" ET19. My wheels will stick out more than yours with ET 26 = will not fit.
    Last edited by RobboM3; 02-03-2014 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

1 year anniversary

Exactly a year ago I picked up the M3. Can't believe it's been a year already.

Still as exited today as the day I picked it up. It was a bit of a gamble as I already owned an E36 for 7 years and getting this M3 would mean that E36 ownership would be extended for years to come. Should I have gone for a newer model? E46 M3 was possible as well, but with at least double the milage.

Haven't had a single day of regret. I guess it's just the car for me.

The so feared SMGI has been 99,9% faultless. I have had one day where it skipped 4th gear due to a fault in the gear position sensor. After I gave it a reset with DIS, it's been fine ever since. And after giving it a fresh accumulator last March, shifting has been even more pleasant.

As it stand now.

SMG accumulator swap

The fresh accumulator

Bleeding with DIS

First part is the bleeding of the clutch actuator

Followed by the gear selector actuator.

Which is all accompanied with lots of clunking and hissing. You can actually hear the air being "blown off".

And finished.

IG:

My Cars
    97 328 vert, 05 330 vert
    Beautiful car, and a great thread. I'm a BMW guy through and through but new to 328 vert ownership and am loving everyday.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    1997 328i auto convertible in Montreal blue and matching hardtop, with grey sports leather and far too much stereo installed!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxclever1753 View Post
    Beautiful car, and a great thread. I'm a BMW guy through and through but new to 328 vert ownership and am loving everyday.
    Thx. Still have the 328i vert as well, which makes an excellent daily driver and shopping kart.

IG:

My Cars
    vroom vroom
    Do you miss your 328 at all?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingRandi View Post
    Do you miss your 328 at all?
    If only you read the previous post before hitting reply...

IG:

My Cars
    1994 Alpina B3 3.0
    The so feared SMGI has been 99,9% faultless. I have had one day where it skipped 4th gear due to a fault in the gear position sensor. After I gave it a reset with DIS, it's been fine ever since. And after giving it a fresh accumulator last March, shifting has been even more pleasant.
    Really cool to see some info on the SMG. My "SwitchTronic" transmission is a poor cousin but the experience is pleasant enough that I could see getting along with the SMG. A paddle retrofit could be nice to have but I guess wouldn't be in the character of your car.

I was >this< close to buying an E46 330 / M Performance / SMG, but a few things about the car didn't check out so I passed. But during the process I asked around and people who know how to maintain those SMG systems really seem to like them.

Always nice to see something different and well cared for.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    My car just became a little bit more special, well to me at least, after finding out it's only one of 15 EU spec LHD M3 3.2 cabrio's ordered in Alpinweiss.

http://www.m3portal.com/forum/m3e36_cabrio32_colour.php

And only 10 of these were ordered with the (non-extended) black leather interior (N5SW).

http://www.m3portal.com/forum/index.php?topic=1427.0

I know white wasn't popular 15 years ago, but only 15 cab's made, that's kinda cool.

IG:

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Where is that guy getting the numbers? I'd like to see production numbers for some other stuff.

I suspect I have one of the very few white on tan leather m42 powered e36s with fold down rear seats.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I know there is a topic on M3forums.net for the US spec colors and interior combo, but not for non-M models.

The guy there could run VIN's in a batchfile or something.
    Last edited by MParallel; 06-16-2014 at 12:52 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    My 328 is super rare, the only one owned in the whole world by cabdolla at the moment. Yesir.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Thought I'd might update this post once more. It's been well over a year and I never go that long without any updates.

After my car also fell victim to the S50B32 Vanos problems, although in my case of a total different order, I took the car of the road due to lack of time.

In the meantime I now rebuilt the Vanos completely with Beisan seal kit, upgraded E39 M5 solenoid seals, making it better than factory and of course new vanos filter. I also ditched the solenoids screen filters, which brake down and clog up the oil passeges.

Complete oil change, by which I mean all oil was taken out of the engine, which is 1.5L more than with a regular oil change due to design of sump and oil cooler. No idea what oil the previous owner used and last time of change. The little card in the engine bay with these details could have been outdated.

So it's now full of all fresh Fuchs Titan Pro S 5w40. A fully synth Ester based oil.

Fitted a new PS "hardline"

After trying to clean the special capnuts of the M stut in vinegar, only then realized they have a special coating. Which meant by by coating. So ordered 6 new ones at €5 a piece
    Well luckely I could get 6. A friend of mine working a BMW Amsterdam, after inquiring by him, he said he had to order a minimum of 30(!). What a joke.

Old

New

Got myself an original BMW service light reset tool from an ex employee for a tray of beer.

Had the airco refilled

Got myself a rear OEM CF ashtray to finish all the carbon GT/Individuel trim

Finally found, and this has taken me a total of 7 years to find, is this little bracket.

It's the NLA since forever smaller bracket, that is part of a bigger bracket (which you can still get ffs) that hold the OEM carphone module needly in place.

Retrofit instructions want you to drill the roof compartment so the module sits against the underside. Oh hell no.

So now I finally have the module fitted the proper way. Not sure if it's obvious, but this bracket is specially designed so the module hangs between the rollbar cardridge (if there) and the amp (if there).

Retrofitted the Harman/Kardon system pulled from the 328i, which I retrofitted it to years ago. Same for OEM phone system.

That's about it for now.

IG:

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Car looks amazing, very neat e36.
    CBlock

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Haven't updated this in a while. Continued with the "full options options" goal that was started back in 2006 with the 328i and transfered over to the M3. With full options I mean the electronic/electric stuff mostly i.e. I don't need to have the glovebox CD/Tape tray nor cupholders.

Here's a summary of 2015-2017

Last piece of wood replaced for a brand new nappa leather version to match the rest.

Added a lockable fuel cap (the pin locking the door is easy to break)

Forgot to turn on the OBC

Z8 strutcaps fitted for a cleaned-up look.

Most leather bits brought back to as factory new as possible

And the latest addition is the installement of paddle shifters, which makes the whole SMG that more enjoyable. and they match the SMG shifter/surround perfectly.

Short vid

Not much plans of fitting new stuff, as it has about everything possible. I might replace the GW300 for a BT version so I can stream online/music and do phonecalls as the factory phone is no longer supported thanks to 4G. It still works in other EU countries, but for how long? The factory system and BT can exist alongside each other.

Do need to remove the doorcards and put in the H/K mids and highs, not something looking forward too as the cards are on tightly, but still needs to be done.

So now time will be used to correct some cosmetic stuff and bring that back to factory like brake calipers/dust plates and for the rest many enjoy it.

Option lists as per 20-12-2017 is now:

Standard Equipment
    Limited Slip Differential (25%)
    Steering Column Adjustment Mechanical
    Heated Windscreen Washer Nozzles
    Window Lifts, Electric
    Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger
    Foglights
    Check Control
    Speedometer With Kilometer Reading
    M Leather Steering Wheel
    M Forged Wheels Double Spoke

Factory options
    Airbag For Front Passenger
    Side Airbag Driver/front Passenger
    Alarm System - factory integrated system with keyfob
    Green Stripe Windscreen
    Hardtop Preparation
    Softtop Black
    Roll-bar Protection System
    Softtop Operation, Fully Automatic
    Floor Mats, Velour
    Warning Triangle/first aid kit
    Interior Mirror w. Auto dimming (now compass mirror)
    Smokers Package
    Skibag (now H/K subwoofer)
    Armrest, Front
    Seat Heating for Driver/front Passenger
    Headrests In Rear, Mechanic. Adjustable
    Headlight Washer System (SRA)
    Park Distance Control (PDC)
    Headlight Beam control
    Automatic Air Recirculation Control (AUC)
    Automatic Air Conditioning
    Cruise Control
    On-board Computer
    Wood Trim (now carbon fiber/leather)
    Sequential M-getriebe (SMG)
    Germany Version
    Europe/dealer Directory
    German / On-board Documentation
    No Outer Skin Protection
    Extra's fitted OEM
    Car Telephone (gsm) W Card Reader Front
    Radio Bmw Professional RDS
    Hifi Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon
    Lumbar support
    Hardtop
    Fire extinguiser
    Carbon fiber trim, Motorsport Int'l glovebox strip
    Carbon fiber trim, shift surround
    Carbon fiber trim, rear ashtray
    Motorsport Int'l doorsills
    Motorsport Int'l doormoulding badges
    Door pocket coin trays
    Glovebox torch
    BMW Motorsport strutbar
    Battery vent
    Trunk luggage net
    Extended leather center console
    Extended leather glovebox
    Extended leather glovebox corner trim
    Extended leather shiftconsole base
    Central lock switch
    Z8 strut caps
    Amber rear lights/front and side indicators
    Extra's fitted OEM+
    Paddle shifters
    MFL Radio/Cruise Control/Telephone control
    One-touch rear/central window switches
    Radio auto mute with PDC on w. on/off switch
    M footrest
    Autodimming/DWA/Digital Compass rearview mirror
    E38 moodlights
    Z3 reinforcement plates
    Extra's fitted aftermarket
    Comfort blinkers (programmable 1-12) (to be fitted)
    Bosch aero wiper blades
    BBS RS 302 wheels
    MFL light /dimmer controller
    Dension GW300 USB/aux/Apple interface
    Bosch hidden aerial
    Bilstein PSS9 coilovers

Last edited by MParallel; 10-13-2021 at 09:39 AM. Reason: pic check

IG:

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Is it safe to say you probably own the most well OEM equipped E36?

Love it.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Good job on the paddle shifters! Didn't realize you retrofitted them.
    CBlock

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Is it safe to say you probably own the most well OEM equipped E36?

Love it.
    There is a fair chance that’s indeed the case. I don’t know every single E36 out there, but it’s a pretty safe bet indeed.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i Motorsport
    Next time you are handy with the camera, would you mind taking a closer photo of the control panel under the OBC by any chance? That is optional extra heaven!

What an incredible machine, the idea of a fully optioned E36, rare parts, and OEM Plus retrofits turns me into jelly on the inside

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast