Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: After 7 years, I'm gonna say goodbye to the 328i

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    All original keys
    Are those the standard keys for the non-US e36? If so, I need to retrofit a euro alarm, hate having a separate alarm fob and liked my e39 keys that looked like that.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    That master key you are refering to is (indeed) the Euro E36 key that you got with central locking. I'm not 100% if this key is linked to the factory alarm option. I believe so. I have never seen a car with this key that didn't have the factory alarm.

Keep in miind the factory alarm is exactly that, factory fitted. US owners mentioning "factory alarm" mean a dealer approved/installed alarm.
    The factory alarm has no separate DWA module, it's all integrated in the ZKE module and factory wiring harness. Any dealer approved or installed alarm, you get a separate fob.

The US never got this key. Nor was the factory alarm option an option, so I think this key is linked to the alarm option.

I'm sure it's possible to retrofit with help of a wiring diagram, but it's not a plug & play module you connect.

The remote locking module is located inside the mirror, so you also need to find a mirror with that module (small PCB) inside it.

My best bet would be a US delivered E31 or other model with the module inside the mirror as well. US remote operates at the 315mhz frequency, EU on the 433mhz one.
    So unless it's possible to change the operating frequency (my technical knowledge stops there) you would need a US mirror. Using all-EU parts should in theory have it operate at the EU fq, but I am not sure if that is legal.
    Last edited by MParallel; 08-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    Lovin those wheels.....nice one indeed! Such low milage....must be like new!
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    That master key you are refering to is (indeed) the Euro E36 key that you got with central locking. I'm not 100% if this key is linked to the factory alarm option. I believe so. I have never seen a car with this key that didn't have the factory alarm.

Keep in miind the factory alarm is exactly that, factory fitted. US owners mentioning "factory alarm" mean a dealer approved/installed alarm.
    The factory alarm has no separate DWA module, it's all integrated in the ZKE module and factory wiring harness. Any dealer approved or installed alarm, you get a separate fob.

The US never got this key. Nor was the factory alarm option an option, so I think this key is linked to the alarm option.

I'm sure it's possible to retrofit with help of a wiring diagram, but it's not a plug & play module you connect.

The remote locking module is located inside the mirror, so you also need to find a mirror with that module (small PCB) inside it.

My best bet would be a US delivered E31 or other model with the module inside the mirror as well. US remote operates at the 315mhz frequency, EU on the 433mhz one.
    So unless it's possible to change the operating frequency (my technical knowledge stops there) you would need a US mirror. Using all-EU parts should in theory have it operate at the EU fq, but I am not sure if that is legal.
    My 316i Euro E36 didn't come with a keyless entry system

I found a donor car with the remote and the mirror and let a technician uninstall it for me without cutting any wire and fitted it to my car ( removed the connector and removed some pins and installed the mirror pins )

My remote key is now working perfectly but it's the old IR remote key ( 2 button )

and it works only when you are close to the car ( not more than 5 meters ) and you need to aim the remote on the mirror

but it's better than opening the car with the key

95 E36 316i coupe
    M52B28 swap, Electric heated leather sport seats, Mtech steering wheel, Mtech bumpers, PDC, Illuminated gearknob, Chromeline interior, 4300K Bixenon ( Hella evox-r ), Koni Str.t/Eibach prokit, Eibach swaybars, Z3 steering rack, 17" BBS RC304, Michelin pilot sport tires

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by matlock328 View Post
    Lovin those wheels.....nice one indeed! Such low milage....must be like new!
    It is. I think this is as close you can get to a "new" E36 as you can possibly expect from a 15 year old car.

IG:

My Cars
    '92 BMW 325is (S52 Swap)
    Hey man I was in the "what did you do to your e36 today thread" and saw that you replaced your mini cubby for the smg/no cubby. Would you be willing to sell me the rubber insert for the small cubby? I bought the plastic cubby piece with the insert for the switches from ecs but they didn't have the rubber insert. I also tried Turner Motorsport but they don't have it either. It seems no one can get it anymore. So right now I am using my old full cubby rubber insert cut down to fit the smaller hole. (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-today/page386 post 9637)

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    I don't car what anyone sais. The E36 vert has special lines. It will be a classic in years to come. And when its dropped a bit, makes it look simply awesome. I think I might be catching the "M" bug too.....ggrrrrr...hard to fight but my bank manager might have a say in it!
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy34 View Post
    Hey man I was in the "what did you do to your e36 today thread" and saw that you replaced your mini cubby for the smg/no cubby. Would you be willing to sell me the rubber insert for the small cubby?
    I didn't replace it. My M3 is an SMG, the other cubby is in the 328i. The 328i is going back to stock, but sorry to dissapoint you, but that half cubby stays with me. I bought all the parts new from the dealer a couple of years ago and it's mint.

Specially now that it's no longer available.

And if my SMG ever needs to be converted to a manual, that cubby will be used to replace the SMG one.

Just keep your eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by matlock328 View Post
    I don't car what anyone sais. The E36 vert has special lines. It will be a classic in years to come. And when its dropped a bit, makes it look simply awesome. I think I might be catching the "M" bug too.....ggrrrrr...hard to fight but my bank manager might have a say in it!
    Indeed. One straight line going from front to back and no stupid high waistline like on Saab's. And the door's front shutline starts way after the wheel. Most modern cars have that shutline right after the wheel fender, making a not balanced model.
    I love the E36 vert.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    And a sexy bum as my girlfriend sais. I've never thought about the doors frontline shut, but now you mention it!!!! And looks aside, is a dream to drive! And somehow the nose has "attitude" that fits so well with the rest of the car! With you all the way re e36 vert!

My Cars
    1994 Alpina B3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by fahdyehia628 View Post
    My remote key is now working perfectly but it's the old IR remote key ( 2 button )

and it works only when you are close to the car ( not more than 5 meters ) and you need to aim the remote on the mirror
    Dude, you're a genius! I got a 2 button key with my Euro E36 but it never did anything. I pointed it at the mirror today and IT WORKS! Thanks

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
    Dude, you're a genius! I got a 2 button key with my Euro E36 but it never did anything. I pointed it at the mirror today and IT WORKS! Thanks

Glad that it's now working

Try changing the battery ... you might get a better range but you will never get anything more than 5 meters

95 E36 316i coupe
    M52B28 swap, Electric heated leather sport seats, Mtech steering wheel, Mtech bumpers, PDC, Illuminated gearknob, Chromeline interior, 4300K Bixenon ( Hella evox-r ), Koni Str.t/Eibach prokit, Eibach swaybars, Z3 steering rack, 17" BBS RC304, Michelin pilot sport tires

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Man! I'll say very simple... Well done!
    good luck with M3!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

Nόrburgring/Garman Holiday 2013

Just got back last week from 14 days of my annual German Eifel holiday, residing 30 minutes from the Nόrburgring. As all previous years, it was a blast and this year was even better as it was the first with an M3.

The difference on track with the 328i, well, they speak for themself.

Random pics. A day before I cleaned the sh.. out of the exterior and interior and while the car was already mint, I would not call it factory prestine.
    The last week before the trip I built in (nearly) all the extra's I put into the 328i. Some will have to wait till next year, as these need more time (H/K system, carphone).

@ Bad Munstereifel and the holday resort

This was on day 2. Where I did a session on the F1 GP track.

To kill time during the days, I brought all my cleaning stuff with me and some fresh parts I had ordered.

My "BMW M Power" cover's 4 allen scews were not up to my standard and one wasn't even an original. Can't have that (thank you OEM OCD!)

The old ones

Fresh parts. Dealer must think I am nuts. He's right.

Old and new.

Fitted them and then spent around 2 super relaxed hours in beautiful sunny weather cleaning every nook and cranny of the engine bay. I want to look it was factory fresh as the interior. The engine was very dutsy when I bought it. Didn't look like a 50k miles engine by far!.

Very pleased with the result.

Then it was time to head down to the track. Waiting at the old pit area. Was very busy.

On track

And after that, the M beast back in its cage

What a blast. Wish I could do it every day, all day long.

I total I did 10 laps on the Nordschleife. Some were in bone dry sunny weather, some in mild wet conditions. And some in rain showers. Some with the top down, with top up and with the hardtop on.

Again some random pics and pics from one of the many photographers that lure around the track.

And from the very final lap of the trip.

As you may know, my car is an SMG. I have read the many, many horror stories about it, but so far I love it, no, I adore it. I was a bit afraid of how it would do on the track, but it was a blast. Yes it's no SMGII (I was a passenger in a French's guys E46 M3 coupe with SMGII and boy, that tranny breaks your neck and this was "only" in S5 as he wanted to leave DSC on, it was his first visit) but not bad at all. I really enjoyed it. More then I expected.
    This doesn't mean it will never act up, but so far so good. The accumulator needs replacing, which I will do next spring when the car goes back on the road. It's already waiting here. I also have a GT1 yellow head, so I can diagnoze, bleed, (re)calibrate and reset the system when needed.

You only hear the bad stories. People aren't going to tell "hey another day without an SMG fault". Yes it's not flawless, but it's also not that bad as what you would think when you start reading about it. In most cases, it's the lack of knowledge, even main dealers, that want to fit a new pump when all you need is a sensor reset.

In any case, I want to enjoy it as long as possible as it's just cool "old tech" but pretty nice when you think this was introduced 1996/1997.

I have a couple hundred pics from the trip including many of the cars on track and at the entrance gates. I think I will put these in a separate topic in the according subforum.

The NS is a cool place, with people from all over the world. I made friends with a couple of French guys, I spoke with a journalist from Brazil and I had a cool talk with a group that came from Dallas Texas.
    Everybody is attracted to that place. If you can, book a visit now!

IG:

My Cars
    Euro e36 M3 3.2 cabrio
    Gozer je moet me even op FB toevoegen, ik denk dat we veel aan elkaar zouden kunnen hebben, zeker nu je ook S50B32+SMG bent gegaan

Je inbox zit vol vandaar.

com/daniele.coccioli

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by daandaman View Post
    Gozer je moet me even op FB toevoegen, ik denk dat we veel aan elkaar zouden kunnen hebben, zeker nu je ook S50B32+SMG bent gegaan

Je inbox zit vol vandaar.

com/daniele.coccioli
    Je kunt me ook emailen hoor. Ik heb me PM inbox juist vol in de hoop dat mensen op de "Send Email" knop drukken.

Mare, jij hebt ook een SMG?

Edit: oh wacht ik heb even gecheckt. Die auto ken ik. Daar heb ik toen ook nog naar gekeken. Althans, ik was toen nog niet in de markt voor een M3, maar vond dat altijd wel een mooie.

Hoe bevalt de SMG je? Problemen mee gehad?
    Last edited by MParallel; 09-23-2013 at 07:35 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    That is so cool. I really hope one day just to get some track time anywhere.
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona (Top Banana #3874 of 4000)
    1996 BMW 328is
    1970 Dodge Dart Custom (225 Slant Six, unrestored)

My Cars
    1997 328i, 2008 FJ
    I too have a 97 328i.
    I just found a 97 M3 (manual) for sale with 115K on it.
    $9500 in Canada
    I'm considering an upgrade.
    Any things to look for and should I or should I not go for it?
    Thanks

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe HARTGE
    Congratulations for your car is very beautiful and can of kilometers !!!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

Some new stuff

Picked up my M3 GT strutbrace

IG:

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL
    Is this strut brace the OEM 100000000$ or the copy ?

95 E36 316i coupe

My Cars
    E36
    they're both $10000000 IIRC^^ lol
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by fahdyehia628 View Post
    Is this strut brace the OEM 100000000$ or the copy ?
    Do you realy think thats not OEM?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Haha yes, what cabdolla said. If there is anyone "OEM" here, you know it's me.

This is a genuine one. The replica doesn't have the M badges on it.

IG:

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe HARTGE
    Hello MParallel can you see me please i would like install MFL in my M3 SMG 04/1997!

thank you very mutch

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by alban74100 View Post
    Hello MParallel can you see me please i would like install MFL in my M3 SMG 04/1997!

thank you very mutch

Hello Alban,

Please do a search. This topic has been covered into detail in numerous topics. You should be able to find it easily.

IG:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast