Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: After 7 years, I'm gonna say goodbye to the 328i

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    I imported it only last wednesday, so it takes a week before I get the new papers so I can have the new license plates made.
    So far I only have the testdrive when I looked at the car the first time. I can say, wow and I didn't even touch 4k. The sound alone is so nice. Nothing loud, not at all, but agressive. Steering geometry is different as well, even though my 328i has the M3 3.0 setup.

Can't wait to takes this to the Nόrburgring this summer.
    And I'm sure you won't make a single post about it or post a single picture when you drive the ring again in the m3...
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

casperlynn is offline Ghost in the machine BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    96 Stg2 M3 clone
    Awesome upgrade MP! Both are the best looking verts
    S52, AA C38-81 stage 2 aftercooled supercharger (14 PSI), Meth injection, Gatorback belts, Provent 200 oil separator, ARP studs, VAC MLS head gasket, SAP delete, ASC delete, TB heating delete, CCV delete, post cat O2 sensors delete, vanos mechanical jam delete, M50 intake mani, Mishimoto radiator, 155f thermostat, Stewart pump, euro diesal fan, CES overflow tank, AEM digital gauges, Bavarian coils, BMP tuned headers, Magnaflow true duals exhaust, E60 530i ZF manual 6 speed, UUC EVO 3 shifter, stage 2 E46 UUC clutch with Fidanza FW, M3 front brakes/spindles, E46 328i rear brakes, adjustable rear camber arms, adjustable camber plates on Yellow DPS coil-overs, M3 crossbrace, Staggered 255/45Z and 235/40Z BF Goodrich G-Force Sport 2's on 17's, 3.91 LSD, MM aluminum underpanel, Z3 steering rack, UUC sways.
    ]]]

My Cars
    Cars
    I see your posts a lot on the vert section and when I read the thread title and name I was like nooo waaay, but then I saw you purchased an m3, awesome!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    And I'm sure you won't make a single post about it or post a single picture when you drive the ring again in the m3...
    Don't worry, I won't
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Way to go M! That is so cool, I'm so jealous, and just wow. Great find, awesome car!
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona (Top Banana #3874 of 4000)
    1996 BMW 328is
    1970 Dodge Dart Custom (225 Slant Six, unrestored)

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    Sick bro. Congrats. I liked the color of the 328 better thou.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 M3
    The most known guy here on the board just got even more known by getting a extremely nice car. Congratulation I really want to Import a M3 just wont be able to afford it yet.

My Cars
    325iC
    I may be the only concerned party, but what going to happen to that classy 328? That 328 with the BBS in your sig looks classy as fuck, will be sad to see it go away!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

First mod

First mod is in the books.

Second owner (I'm 4th) had a thing going for E46 M3 look kidneys with chrome slats. I thought they were aftermarket, but turned out it were alu pieces glued over the black slats.

Don't mind the dirt, this was before the wash.

Before

One side done.

Oh much better.

Next up I will probably swap the H7 Bosch headlight for the H1 ZKW's on the 328i and fit the amber's all around.

It's annoying having this car now and not legally drive it. Waiting for the papers...

Surprised I never spotted this before. OEM fire extinguisher. Probably expired by now.

@ Quicksilver: the classy 328i will be canabalized to make an even more classy M3.
    Last edited by MParallel; 05-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    May I ask....why an SMG transmission though? I wouldn't want such a thing with that euro M3 motor.

- - - Updated - - -

In any event, welcome to the ///M3 club!

My Cars
    06 Cayenne
    I didn't see this happening at all. Sarcasm

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL
    Interior shots pleaseeeeeeeee

95 E36 316i coupe
    M52B28 swap, Electric heated leather sport seats, Mtech steering wheel, Mtech bumpers, PDC, Illuminated gearknob, Chromeline interior, 4300K Bixenon ( Hella evox-r ), Koni Str.t/Eibach prokit, Eibach swaybars, Z3 steering rack, 17" BBS RC304, Michelin pilot sport tires

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    Nicely done. I sold my pristine and absolutely loaded 99' 328i Cabriolet in favor of my 98' M3 Cabriolet. Within three weeks of buying it, I sent it to Dinan and told them to "install everything you have for an E36". Wow.....my fully Dinan M3 is amazing. I have never looked back on letting my 328 go. I have a new 2012 Z4 Roadster and I still prefer my E36 M3 for some reason, it is just a wonderful piece of machinery.
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by cabdolla View Post
    May I ask....why an SMG transmission though? I wouldn't want such a thing with that euro M3 motor.

- - - Updated - - -

In any event, welcome to the ///M3 club!
    Cause I'm a sucker for "old tech". SMG 1 isn't as bad as you read. You only read bad things anyways as no owner is going to open up a topic with "Another fine day without any SMG problems".

I talked extensively with SMG owners who are more than happy. Having a few spare laying around is helpfull. According to the previous owner who owned it since 2005, he had one bad sensor which needed a reset (I have a GT1 system so no problem), nothing more.

In the worst case you can always transform the SMG into manual, as it's the identical box.

When I testdrove it, shifting was very smooth and all. And this car was as mint as any second hand E36 out there and such extreme low milage.

Quote Originally Posted by E36ic4Me View Post
    Nicely done. I sold my pristine and absolutely loaded 99' 328i Cabriolet in favor of my 98' M3 Cabriolet. Within three weeks of buying it, I sent it to Dinan and told them to "install everything you have for an E36". Wow.....my fully Dinan M3 is amazing. I have never looked back on letting my 328 go. I have a new 2012 Z4 Roadster and I still prefer my E36 M3 for some reason, it is just a wonderful piece of machinery.
    Within three weeks? You weren't happy with the 240 US ponies

So what does it put out now? I'm not familiar with Dinan except I know it's a famous US based tuner.
    Last edited by MParallel; 05-13-2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: quote added

IG:

My Cars
    2016 Mazda 3 Wagon
    if he has a dinnan supercharger hes putting down as muh HP as your euro motor. and paid like 6k to do so. dinnan aint cheap!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by cabdolla View Post
    if he has a dinnan supercharger hes putting down as muh HP as your euro motor. and paid like 6k to do so. dinnan aint cheap!
    She

Not bad. Could've gone turbo or sc
    of course, but I've always wanted to own some BMW Motorsport heritage.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    She

Not bad. Could've gone turbo or sc
    of course, but I've always wanted to own some BMW Motorsport heritage.
    Exactly. there's something about having an ///M car. We all know MParallel's been jealous of me for years!
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Well played sir, very well played indeed.
    Congrats on your 'upgrade'.

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Well dang man, somehow I missed this until I was going back and reading the "What did you do to your e36 " thread and you referenced an M3 and I was like WTF? Congratulations on the new car man, the Dakota leather is so much nicer than the cheaper Montana that most cars have. I was happy to find my e46 with a mint black Dakota extended interior. Are you swapping over your leather glove box and center console from the 328?

tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445 View Post
    Well dang man, somehow I missed this until I was going back and reading the "What did you do to your e36 " thread and you referenced an M3 and I was like WTF? Congratulations on the new car man, the Dakota leather is so much nicer than the cheaper Montana that most cars have. I was happy to find my e46 with a mint black Dakota extended interior. Are you swapping over your leather glove box and center console from the 328?

tmaxx445
    Never heard of Dakota leather, let alone that I mentioned this. It's nappa leather and yes it's much nicer, although the Montana isn't that bad.

Yes all (nappa) leather trim will find its way into the M3.

IG:

My Cars
    '97 323i Coupe
    Very clean looking Alpine M3...!

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Never heard of Dakota leather, let alone that I mentioned this. It's nappa leather and yes it's much nicer, although the Montana isn't that bad.

Yes all (nappa) leather trim will find its way into the M3.
    Yeah its been one of those days...I must have been thinking about my moms e91 with the Dakota leather (standard). My e46 has the Nappa leather that you have in your new e36. I think the Dakota leather is what is standard in the e9x, and e82 cars now; I think it basically replaced the Montana leather that cheaper e36s had. Glad to hear you will be swapping over all the extended parts to your new car. After the 328 is stripped are you planning to sell it or keep it around?

tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Note sure. Or I keep it was my winter driver, or sell it on and buy a cheap(er) winter car. I want to keep this M3 as prestine as it's now. It clear from the mint underside this car never saw winters and salty roads.

IG:

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Very nice! Congratulations!
    "It's not what you buy- it's what you build" - unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by EnlightenMe View Post
    Thanks, you've been more help than most mechanics in Souther California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitie View Post
    Yet another great post mgoods50!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillajin View Post
    Thank you everybody who inputs here, specially mgoods50!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Lots of work done to the M3.

Transplanted the Billies PSS9 and RS's over to the M3.

Changed all diff oilseals as it was leaking at the front one. Changed broken exhaust rubbers / metal bracket.

Fitted MFL wheel (buttons) from the 328i to the M3.

Cleaned inside of engine bay (the chassis part).

New air filter

Another busy weekend working on the car. We (me and my wrenching mate) worked from Friday 4pm to Saturday 4am.

Oh well I have no life anyways. :

The M3 had a (too) obvious oilleak coming from the front diff seal.

Since that is like driving a ticking timebomb, I didn't want to wait any longer. Who knows how much olie was left in?

Picked up new oilseals on Friday, then towards my mate's parent's in law, who have a nice wrenching shed with air compressor and such.

Rear up in the air.

Removed all stuff to get to the diff.

Quite a bit more work than on the 328i. We had to lower the cat section as well and remove the whole heatshield above the driveshaft to get to the front flange to undo the bolts.

We also had no idea the M3 has no U-joint at the end, but a CV-joint (that can slide) which is full of some special oil/grease stuff, half of which stuck to the flange of the diff.
    So we carefully scraped that off and saved in a clean bowl to put back later.

It's also fun laying on your back, juggling around a 210 diff :

The 212 diff also has a different front mounting way. 2 bolts that are fixed to another bracket with a big rubber bushing. That last one you can't take off without removing the whole subframe, so we unbolted the 2 on the diff housing.

Diff removed. Holy crap what a thick flange. Only seen these on E60 M5 diffs before.

Flange marked for position relative to housing.

The smart one will now say, well that is very nice you marked it, but what if the shaft turns while the flange is off. Then that marking is of no value at all.
    Ha yes, very true. That's why we also did the same to one of the output flanges. So in case the shaft would spin, we could turn it back to its initial position.

Big nut off. Thanks to the air tools.

New seal in. There was a clear oil marking on the outside of the old one. Not what you expect on a 50k mile car. But looking at some of the bolts which looked a bit too new to us, we suspect the diff has had work done to it before.

And everything back together. Also put in was a (nice blue) locking plate preventing the nut to ever turn. As you can see we (of course) also marked the nut's position relative to the shaft.
    We put it back in exactly in as many turns as it took to take out, to make sure the pinion bearing preload and mesh wasn't altered.

As the diff was out, we also preventively changed to two output oil seals. I left the locking clips for what they are. There's not much that can happen to the old ones and these flanges can't come out anyways.

Of course we also put in fresh Castrol SAF-XJ 75w140 LSD oil.

The amount to put in had us wondering though. The BMW VIN decoder says only 1.3L, while that same decoder says 1.7L for the smaller 188 diff.

Google'ing around gave us a answers from 1L to 2L, so not much use either. BMW owner's manual is useless too, as it only says Lifetime Oil, No Change.

We could get in just about 1L using the "fill it up untill oil comes out" method. Which I didn't like. So we jacked it up on the right side, so the diff would be tilted. We got in an extra 625ml for 1.65L in total before oil came out the filler hole again, but I'm still not 100% pleased.

Someone must know the correct amount. And now unless the actual oil cavity is the same as the 188 diff and it's just a bigger crownwheel that is different, then it would make a little bit more sense to me.

Last Sunday

Last week during the install of fresh diff oilseals, we found out both my backbox rubbers were shot.

So as we had to work on the car anyways, we took the opportunity to install new ones.

You don't notice they are shot untill you fit new ones. The tailipipes now sit much nicer into the diffuser's recess. Hope it stays like this for some time.

As the cat section rubbers were very dry and stretched, I also replaced these while we were at it.

And one "bonus" pic as I can't get enough of that wonderfull BMW M Power engine.

IG:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast