had solid orange light come on the way home
    scanned with ISTA
    came across this on google from the A0B6 code
    and by the evening it was fixed!

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cheechbangs View Post
    Hay thanks for the explanation/description you gave in relation to the AOB6 code error. I just wanted to ask you (because I have the same code error AOB6 and message everytime I start my bmw) do you think that the same problem could apply to my 2006 525i e60 automatic sedan?? I noticed yours is an e90?? Thanks and any advice is appreciated. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    First, cheechbangs (haha) sooo sorry for the late reply (been away from this great forum for a while due to other personal obsessions like staring at a TIG arc on aluminum like a bug). I think your E60 should have a very similar microswitch, and the steps to reach it should be as well.

NOTE: In KevinMullins' post #12, the link to the 5Series.net,
    https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-fault-114100/
    thread poster MrSingh (apparently an E60 owner) had the same problem of warning light and found that in his case the lever of the microswitch had fallen off completely but he reattach it and fixed the problem. The thread currently does not seem to show his original photos(at least for non-members like myself), but in post #6 you can reference his brief steps. You'll find that my step by step guide in post #18 of THIS thread to be more reassuring if you are willing to actually dig into the matter yourself.
    If you do dig in, I suggest you set aside plenty of time so you can comfortably explore and appreciate the intricacies of the gear shift assembly (and to be certain that all parts are reassembled correctly). Some cool stuff in there...

Glad that this has helped a bunch of people all over the place.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 04-11-2021 at 03:22 AM.

My Cars
    335d
    Man, I'm so glad I found this thread...I too have this on a 2011 and it just drives me crazy. Searched and searched and I finally found this. Going to give it a try, I was already planning on buying a shifter!!!! I figured it was something of this sort, when I took the boot off apparently the previous owner spilled a soda as I saw the remnants of syrup around that microswitch location......

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    If you have some time, please do post some photos of what you find in there. Before and after pix would be a treat.

When you obliterate that bugger light, you WILL feel like a badass!

My Cars
    335d
    Well, sorry for the delay in the update. I didn't take any pictures, but as I suspected, the soda or whatever the syrupy stuff was I believe was the culprit. The switch lever piece was straight as an arrow and seemed normal to me. What i did was use a qtip with alcohol and swabbed that switch piece clean. I did pick up quite a bid of residue and it appears the cross member that switch rests on was contaminated with the syrup solution, thus not making metal to metal contact. Its been a week and I have not received the stupid error. Hopefully thats all it was. It is quite an elaborate system though, leave it to bmw for all the sensors and switches.....

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d M-Sport
    Tinkerman, thank you so much for your detailed solution in the thread and for the pictures! I had this very issue after I had to fix the notorious sport-mode wiring failure and thought I must've missed another fatigued wire. I spent a little time and sweat chasing good wires and had to retreat back to the forums. Much appreciated!

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Glad more folks keep benefiting from this thread. BTW, once fixed, it's NEVER bothered me again (for over 9 years, and counting)!

Cheers~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12