RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Need help. My X5 running really rough after valve cover gasket replacement.

SOLVED - Need help. My X5 running really rough after valve cover gasket replacement.

First off, my vehicle is a 2001 X5 4.4i with 125k miles on it.

As the title says, I just replaced the valve cover gaskets this past weekend. I didn't start up the vehicle until Monday evening, and when I did it was running terrible and the SES light was flashing at me.

I plugged in the computer at this point to read the codes (I have INPA set up on my computer), and there were 7 codes.

The codes were as follows:
    141 engine output fan
    53 misfire cyl 8
    54 misfire cyl 6
    51 misfire cyl 5
    154 EV5 from cyl 6
    151 EV2 from cyl 5
    62 misfire detection, sum error

I read on another site that the 151 and 154 codes are "fuel injector activation" codes. If those codes (151 + 154) are set, does that mean that the injectors definitely didn't fire, or can something else cause that code?

I've also checked to make sure that all the sensors are plugged back in and I don't see any vacuum lines or anything else loose or cracked either.

Since those misfires are all in one bank, I tried switching out the 4 coil packs from one side with the other 4 to try to rule out the coil packs. After switching those, the problem stayed the same.

As far as the coil packs go, I have a question. I noticed when switching them, that they all "popped" when coming off except one, (cyl 4). Since that one didn't "pop", does that indicate a problem, or is it ok?

Anyway, I was wondering what else I could test without throwing parts at it? Or maybe with those codes, one of the experts here can tell me what I need to replace. Thanks for any help. It is much appreciated.

Jeff
    Last edited by jfclk33; 05-10-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Solved Problem
    2001 X5 4.4i

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Sounds like you didn't get the connectors on the injectors all the way. Make sure the black plastic boxes on each bank are pushed down on the fuel injectors. Been there, done that.

My Cars
    95 325Is, 85 325E
    Check anything vacuum related that you could have bumped or disconnected..

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter29928 View Post
    Sounds like you didn't get the connectors on the injectors all the way. Make sure the black plastic boxes on each bank are pushed down on the fuel injectors. Been there, done that.
    Thanks.I thought about doing that last night, but ran out of time. I'll check it tonight when I get home from work. I was wondering when you go to put that box back on, do you just line up the connectors and press down to snap them in? I was thinking that I might be able to unsnap each connector from the box, connect them to the injectors, and then snap the box down onto the connectors. This way, I would be able to be sure they were properly seated and connected before snapping the box all the way down. Of course, this is assuming that there is enough slack in the wires to even try this. What do you normally do here?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Also I would run my hand around the valve cover to make sure the gasket is in place properly. Those half-moons in the back are a real PITA to get set, so I would pay close attention to there.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

OK, I'll check the gasket and any vacuum lines once more. Would that cause all those codes, even the ones relating to the fuel injector activation? Just wondering. Thanks for the input.

I got it fixed. Just thought I'd post the solution in case it helps someone else down the road. I'd like to say thanks to mhunter29928, he hit the nail on the head. I didn't have the black box with the fuel injector connectors pushed down all the way. The funny thing is that I looked at those the night before and I would have sworn that they were all the way on there based on how they looked. I appreciate the input from everyone and I'll edit the title to indicate that the problem is solved.
    2001 X5 4.4i

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Glad you got it fixed. The fuel injector activation codes were the dead giveaway. Like I said... been there, done that.