Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Vert RMS Stage 2/Built S50 Engine Swap Build Thread

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd

E36 M3 Vert 18PSI RMS Stage 2/Built S50 Engine Swap Build Thread

Whats up Bimmer Forums! My name is Doug and I live in Dallas. I am a long-time lurker and am starting an ambitious build for my 1999 M3 Convertible. I got a great deal on a built s50 that has the works, capable of my much hp that I am aiming for. I paid $3200, plug an additional $600 for an extreme set of billet cams. Here is description:

I have a fresh built BMW S50 long block for sale. No miles, never installed. This thing was built with ALL the good stuff, designed for big reliable boosted HP.

- Forged Wiseco Pistons with file fit rings
    - Eagle H-beam Rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts
    - Stock S50 Crank, magna fluxed, polished and fully balanced rotating assembly - BMW crank and rod bearings
    - ARP head studs
    - Cometic MLS head gasket
    - Magnafluxed, Bored, finish honed, decked, mains aligned, new freeze plugs- factory S50 block- black block paint.
    - Ported head, pressure tested, decked, new seats, new guides, new seals
    - Supertech 1mm oversized inconel exhaust valves
    - Supertech 1mm oversized black nitride stainless intake valves
    - Supertech Chrome Silicon Vanadium Steel double valve springs
    - Supertech Titanium retainers with hardened locks and seats

I also purchased a used RMS Stage 2 Supercharger kit for $2500. I think I got a helluva deal for the engine and supercharger kit, and I still will have my S52 to sell!

I hope to have the engine swap and supercharger install complete, under the $5000 budget. The work will be done by Chad Stett at Stett Performance in Wylie, Texas. I hope to keep you guys updated as the build goes along, with pictures as well. I wanted to get this thread started before everything gets started. I am dropping the car off Saturday and hope to have everything complete within 3 months.

- Doug
    Last edited by SwissBliss; 11-30-2015 at 08:15 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Don't use the RMS tuning.
    Buy a S/Cer tune from Technique Tuning.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Butters!!

Long time admirer of your car and more importantly all your knowledge that you have contributed to the FI and e36 community. Honored to have you be the first post to my thread.

I
    I have already heard of bad experiences with an RMS tune. I am converting the OBDI engine to OBD2, so no issues there. I was planning on getting a NickG/TT tune, but have also heard good things about Markert. It will be a full remote tune, with my mechanic sending data and working with the tuner to tweak.

Just finished ordering 42lb injectors, a 3.5 MAF, stewart water pump, and a mishimoto expansion tank (preorder).

I forgot to mention in my first post that I am shooting for 450hp. A bit ambitious, but I am hoping the built engine has some tricks up its sleeve...

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    By "Markert" do you mean TRM ? If so, another good choice.

Good luck with your build. A lot of smart guys in here. Tho I really have no experience with RMS kits, guys like Pbonsalb knows them quite well.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    I knew NickG and TT where essentially the same, but I think Markert and TRM are different entities...

markertmotorworks.com

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of the car before the build gets underway.

More pics to come..
    Attached Images Attached Images

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    Just realize that you are putting a motor set for OBDI into an OBDII car. Its not that big of a deal but keep in the back of your head that the crank sensor, water temp and a couple other things need to be configured to make it run.
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Just realize that you are putting a motor set for OBDI into an OBDII car. Its not that big of a deal but keep in the back of your head that the crank sensor, water temp and a couple other things need to be configured to make it run.
    Iirc, he can buy a euro m52 crank sensor, extend the factory obd2 harness and run it off the trigger wheel.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Euro crank sensor is all you really need other than the usual OBD2 sensors to run M/S50 OBD2. Much better option overall
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Correct, will just need to extend the harness and reconfigure a few other things, such as the crank position sensor, do you guys think I did ok with the engine even though it was obd1, for the price? I figured it was way cheaper than the parts and labor to have my engine with 140k rebuilt. I think the engine has been bored out to 3100cc as well. Should make good power. Even though I got what I think was a great deal on the SC kit, and I will probably hit my 450whp goal, I may end up going turbo soon thereafter, and am split as to just go for a GT40 off the bat. May be cheaper in the long run too, but for now I am going forward with the build as is, starting this weekend..

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Id go smaller and more responsive on the turbo. Like a gtx35r or 6262 instead of a gt40.

My Cars
    95 M3
    What CR is the S50?
    WOT

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Id go smaller and more responsive on the turbo. Like a gtx35r or 6262 instead of a gt40.
    Yup ^^^.
    Way more fun to drive sub 600 HP.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    93 e36 sedan
    Nice build, details on billet cam?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    It is 8.5:1

I am still waiting on details on the cam. The guy I bought the engine from is still out of the country. From what I can tell it is pretty extreme, and it may or may not be a VAC cam.

- - - Updated - - -

My best bet is one of these Cams, more details to come:

Full Race Grinds (require solid lifters)
    • 282 / 274° - 11.50 / 11.00mm [Hot Rod/ Rally / Autocross]**
    • 298 / 290° - 12.05 / 11.55mm [Race]**
    • 298 / 290° - 12.50 / 12.00mm [Race (high lift cam type)]**

I will be running a Vanos delete...

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissBliss View Post
    It is 8.5:1

I am still waiting on details on the cam. The guy I bought the engine from is still out of the country. From what I can tell it is pretty extreme, and it may or may not be a VAC cam.

- - - Updated - - -

My best bet is one of these Cams, more details to come:

Full Race Grinds (require solid lifters)
    • 282 / 274° - 11.50 / 11.00mm [Hot Rod/ Rally / Autocross]**
    • 298 / 290° - 12.05 / 11.55mm [Race]**
    • 298 / 290° - 12.50 / 12.00mm [Race (high lift cam type)]**

I will be running a Vanos delete...
    Solid lifter cams for a 450 whp, GT40 turbo S50. .?? That should work well lol.
    WOT

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    I am going with the Vortech V2 for now.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Not the best choice for a centrifugal supercharged convertible. Great top end, but not as much as you could have in daily driving.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Got some great news this morning. The old engine is out, and prep has started getting the s50 ready to drop.

I am about ready to start contacting some tuners. Do you guys have anybody to recommend? i have already been in contact with Markert Motorworks, and have sent an email to NickG (no response though...), but would like other options as well. Would $750 be a ballpark figure to have the vehicle remotely tuned, with multiple back and forth sessions (my guy thinks 4 should be enough) in order to dial the tune in?

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Im biased obv but theres a ton of tuners out there right now who can do a SC setup well(MMW, AA, RK, TRM, Technica, TTFS, NickG, etc). Some better than others, and some better customer service than others. Expect to pay 750-1500. SC setups are mostly easier to tune than Turbos because of the similar to NA linear boost build.
    Last edited by 328iJunkie; 09-16-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: clarification

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    Im biased obv but theres a ton of tuners out there right now who can do a SC setup well(MMW, AA, RK, TRM, Technica, TTFS, NickG, etc). Some better than others, and some better customer service than others. Expect to pay 750-1500. SC setups are mostly easier to tune than Turbos because of the similar to NA linear boost build.
    Who are you biased towards and why?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    You forgot the best tuner of all timing ...... OSh
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    After doing some reading, I am considering going e85. There are multiple stations in the Dallas area, with the most recent price of $1.69 a gallon. A few questions though..

Aside from the essential fuel system upgrades like a fuel pump (which I will need anyway), and bigger injectors (would 60lb be enough?), fuel filter, etc. , it seems like this could be done for relatively little extra cost.

I have read mixed reports regarding the fuel consumption. Being supercharged, would I see an increase or decrease in MPG? I currently average about 18, but that is before the swap and boost. I would not want to trade a dollar less per gallon for a 30% decrease in fuel economy...

Would this be an advisable route to go, considering the extreme cams and desired HP? Or would it make this build very unreliable, from a tuning and daily driving standpoint?

Sorry for the odd question, it is just something that I would like to explore and/or rule out. I am getting excited with the progress of the build, but the brief research I did on e85 in forced induction applications peaked my interest.

Hope everybody is enjoying football season. Go Cowboys!!!

- Doug

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    I've run straight e85 on a few cars with good results. Fuel mileage will plummet however. I'm talking 12-17 best case. You have to keep in mind e85 requires ~30% more fuel to reach same AFR. Even if you crank timing up, fuel mass is fuel mass.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Ruled e85 out.

I am going to check on the car next weekend, but from what I have heard, the new engine is just about ready to be dropped in. We have had alot of rain in Dallas with the hurricane blowing through, but here in the next few weeks we should be just about ready for tuning. I have emailed Markert, still waiting to hear back on schedule and pricing. Have been in contact with Osh at RMS, and will consider him for the remote tune as well. I am going to be purchasing a 3.6 supercharger pulley and 7.5 crank ring to get to ~18psi, and have been emailing him for info and parts. Thanks for the good info guys, will try to get some pics of the build uploaded.

- Doug

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Small update: Got the supercharger parts from RMS, along with a MAF and 60# injectors, courtesy of Dave & Rob @ Markert, who will be doing the tune. Engine is just about ready to drop in, and will be ready for dyno and tune hopefully mid-December. Will keep updated with pictures and details once we are further along

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast