Thread: Do I need a new harness?

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    So I have been enjoying my turbo car for quite a few years now. One issue I have never been able to solve is readiness monitors. I don't know what the issue is and I have tried a few different tuners and have never got this resolved. The chassis is 323is which has only 2 o2 sensors, one pre and one post the non existent cat. I'm using an m3 ecu and I'm now wondering if my issue is I need a harness with 4 o2's? IDK just a hunch. I have also tried various settings in romraider but nothing works. Any ideas here? Has anyone had experience with this configuration and is able to get the readiness monitors to stay on? I'm so close to just swapping everything over to an older chassis just to not deal with this anymore.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Harness is easy compared to swapping to another chassis and plenty of us have OBD2 328i and M3 harnesses with turbos and no problems. You could check your cowl harness tray for burnt grounds and shorted wires that could be causing problems.

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    Yeah I have a spare harness I think I'll try but no room in the garage right now. The one in the car looks great but I'll check closer. Both 328 and m3 have 4 o2 so I was thinking maybe something preventing the monitors to not be ready since my harness has 2 o2 and using MS41.1 software. So this combo should work?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I don’t know but it’s a lot easier to use the correct harness for the ECU and software loaded in the ECU. A good tuner should be able to fix the issue but you say you have used a few and they can’t. So give the tune the harness and ECU the tune is designed for. Obviously if that does not work, your problems are elsewhere and swapping chassis would not help other than possibly exposing your installation error or mechanical or wiring defect along the way. And of course the tuner has to be willing to simulate the rear 02 and combine the front banks into 1, which has historically been widely done without issue but is illegal and more and more tuners are scared, justifiably so, of the EPA. There are also rear 02 simulators you used to be able to buy that worked on the E36 328/M3 but which may no longer be on the US retail market for the reason above. Could probably still find them or make them, but beware you cannot use universal ones since the titanium oxide 02 that BMW uses on these cars read differently than standard ones.

Wait for a nice day and change the harness outside. 3 hours if you label and photograph wires so you know where they go. Pull the intake manifold.