Thread: Time for a New Clutch - Suggestions?

My Cars
    E46M3 Track/MCoupe DD

Time for a New Clutch - Suggestions?

Hi All:

Our '98 is now at ~160k and the throwout bearing is shot so having the whole clutch replaced.

The car is primarly a DD, with perhaps the odd HPDE each year.

Any better suggestions other than going with another OEM type clutch?

The shop is also questioning the condition of the flywheel.

Apparently no-one resurfaces (??) them in our area, so it is leave it be or replace.

We don't want to go aluminum, so again any other suggestions?

Thanks

John Corbs

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts or BTDTs on this?

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36z3--1999-lightweight-sprung-hub-clutchflywheel-kit-p743.aspx

My Cars
    1995 M3 and 1997 FZJ80
    Not the answer you were probably looking for, but I just installed an OEM one on my M3 last weekend with a "super kit" from Pelican Parts. Feels like a brand new car, and I am very happy with it. My car is a DD, so I wanted something stock. Very buttery shifting now. Also if your in there, I'd replace the guibo (Drive shaft flex disc) and the shift bushings.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    I bet u can use the flywheel with a new sachs kit just fine. If u wanna spend more then there are ltw flywheel choices, my preference is jbr.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    E46M3 Track/MCoupe DD
    Thanks Folks. Good points regarding replacing other stuff and already in the plan.

Probably favoring the BW kit. I have a JBR in my E46 and it has been great.

Cheers
    Last edited by jcorbs; 05-03-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    dont reuse the flywheel... the dual mass mechanism is more than likely messed up. Not worth resurfacing either as you just get more shavings/dust in the dual mass mechanism. Either buy new OEM DM offf ebay (LUK brand) or get the JBR setup from Bimmerworld.

Other option if u dont want to spend that much but want the JBR flywheel is what I did to save a couple bux..

JBR flywheel
    e34 m5 clutch disc (sprung hub, reduce chatter, installed backwards)
    e36 m3 pressure plate
    e36 m3 TOB

works great, perfect combo. My thread when I was asking about all this a couple years ago
    Some very experience, very knowledgeable people helping in this thread
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...240rwhp+clutch
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    99 M3 vert w/man,01 F350
    I'm getting ready to buy this setup: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151028459025...84.m1438.l2649

It's all OEM parts and good price; I ordered from this company several years ago for my 94 325i and was very satisfied with their customer service and the quality of their product
    1999 M3 vert, Rogue SSK, Conforti intake, SS replica catback, UUC adj rear control arms, Eibach springs, Konis, Beyern rims, cross-drilled Zimmermans w/Akebono Euro ceramic pads, ASC delete, Bosch Euro lamps, ZKW Euro foglamps

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Uliman View Post
    I'm getting ready to buy this setup: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151028459025...84.m1438.l2649

It's all OEM parts and good price; I ordered from this company several years ago for my 94 325i and was very satisfied with their customer service and the quality of their product
    +1. And here's their website to show they are not just some random eBay seller.

http://gripforce.com/sachs-oe-clutch...5i-528i-m3-z3/

My Cars
    '95 M3,'04 ZHP, 01 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    Other option if u dont want to spend that much but want the JBR flywheel is what I did to save a couple bux..

JBR flywheel
    e34 m5 clutch disc (sprung hub, reduce chatter, installed backwards)
    e36 m3 pressure plate
    e36 m3 TOB

works great, perfect combo. My thread when I was asking about all this a couple years ago
    Some very experience, very knowledgeable people helping in this thread
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...240rwhp+clutch

I just re-read that entire thread. It is amazing how much has changed in four years. And also amazing how much hasn't

Cal,

You're car has gone from mild to wild in these four years. When it was a "street" car and you ran the JB setup, what trans fluid did you use and did you get any noise at idle? Have you changed your brand/weight since the car was track prepped?

Chris

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    just a heads up! Purchased a LUK clutch for my 5 series and it was a replica and didn't fit! Called luk and they said their are replica kits being sold! Compared the kit to the same kit bought from my wholesaler $130 more and looked the same, but a couple measurements were different! ordered from Parts Geek!

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by 284Shooter View Post
    I just re-read that entire thread. It is amazing how much has changed in four years. And also amazing how much hasn't

Cal,

You're car has gone from mild to wild in these four years. When it was a "street" car and you ran the JB setup, what trans fluid did you use and did you get any noise at idle? Have you changed your brand/weight since the car was track prepped?

Chris
    U will get some chatter with a solid one piece flywheel no matter what u do..

I reduced mine to acceptable limits with the sprung hub disc and a full qt of Amsoil MTL,and then topped it off with Amsoil 75w140

Clutch is still in the car, and I will be inspecting it when I go in there towards the end of the year for my motor rebuild

My Cars
    1989 Tornado Red GTI16v
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorbs View Post
    Apparently no-one resurfaces (??) them in our area, so it is leave it be or replace.

We don't want to go aluminum, so again any other suggestions?
    For the reasons said already, almost no machine shop will want to resurface a DMF. Sanding the surface yourself is also a terrible idea.

The Gripforce Stage 2 kit with a CroMo one-piece flywheel / sprung-hub-disc and rebranded Sachs pressure plate is a solid choice at around $500. Chatter is minimal with the UUC-recommended fluid cocktail, but still happens.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd pony up the extra $150 for the Gripforce kit that includes a new Luk DMF.
    Last edited by Jrrrrrrr; 05-04-2013 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by akgolfpro View Post
    just a heads up! Purchased a LUK clutch for my 5 series and it was a replica and didn't fit! Called luk and they said their are replica kits being sold! Compared the kit to the same kit bought from my wholesaler $130 more and looked the same, but a couple measurements were different! ordered from Parts Geek!
    Luk flywheels from Gripforce are legit and the cheapest out there.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    If I were to do it all over again, I'd pony up the extra $150 for the Gripforce kit that includes a new Luk DMF.
    This....

My Cars
    E46M3 Track/MCoupe DD
    Thanks All!

My Cars
    '97 M3, '04 ZHP coupe
    I have the jbr setup that cal described, got it through bimmerworld, and I'm happy.clutch is great, flywheel is, well, lightweight but that doesn't change across the board

My Cars
    1999 M3
    What is the weight difference between a sprung clutch disk and one without?
    I have a stage 1 chromoly FW from gripforce with the unsprung disk that hasn't been installed yet, and I'm considering spending a few more bucks to buy the sprung disk so avoid the chatter.
    Only thing I'm concerned about is whether the weight difference will negate the effects of the lightweight FW

My Cars
    '97 M3, '04 ZHP coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
    What is the weight difference between a sprung clutch disk and one without?
    I have a stage 1 chromoly FW from gripforce with the unsprung disk that hasn't been installed yet, and I'm considering spending a few more bucks to buy the sprung disk so avoid the chatter.
    Only thing I'm concerned about is whether the weight difference will negate the effects of the lightweight FW
    The weight is not what matters, inertia is what matters. And because the springs are in the center, they have much lower inertia so it is worth it. Plus, that weight is not flywheel side, so engine response is better.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3, 2001 X5 3.0
    Thought I'd chime in here. I just put the grip force stage 2 setup in a few thousand miles ago, and so far I love it. It was very grabby at first, but at this point it has smoothed out and feels pretty much stock, with the added benefit of better throttle response and faster revs. I don't have any of the traditional chatter in neutral at idle either (I used UUC's teams fluid cocktail). I will say, though, that it is fairly noisy in low speed parking-type maneuvers.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    The weight is not what matters, inertia is what matters. And because the springs are in the center, they have much lower inertia so it is worth it. Plus, that weight is not flywheel side, so engine response is better.
    Thanks! So the lighter FW + the sprung disk isn't much different in terms of response than the FW + flat disk right?

Quote Originally Posted by Milney325 View Post
    Thought I'd chime in here. I just put the grip force stage 2 setup in a few thousand miles ago, and so far I love it. It was very grabby at first, but at this point it has smoothed out and feels pretty much stock, with the added benefit of better throttle response and faster revs. I don't have any of the traditional chatter in neutral at idle either (I used UUC's teams fluid cocktail). I will say, though, that it is fairly noisy in low speed parking-type maneuvers.
    ^ How long did it take to smooth out? I'm still trying to decide between the OE, Stage 1, and 2.

I think this is how it goes:
    OE: OE PP and oe (organic) clutch disk
    S1: HD PP and oe (organic) disk
    S2: HD PP and kevlar disk (sprung or unsprung)

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    What stage clutch will hold around 270whp? The is dual street and track.
    Last edited by FerM3; 05-08-2013 at 12:27 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    Bump.
    Need new clutch.
    Looking for updated opinions and info.
    Thanks in advance for contributing.

My Cars
    1995 e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by blak blur View Post
    Bump.
    Need new clutch.
    Looking for updated opinions and info.
    Thanks in advance for contributing.
    What are your goals with the car? I just installed a new stock clutch on my car and I love it! I had a UUC stage 3 and a FX stage 3 and was never really happy with them.

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    Daily/street only.