Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Day Video Thread

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    2 day school at Thunderhill last weekend (Nov 9-10) with BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter. My 3rd session on the 2nd day. It's my 6th day at Thunderhill and 3rd day on R-comp tires. Instructor signed me off for this session but a different instructor hopped in my car for the last Sunday session, so this was my only session driving solo. Had my fastest lap time of 2:14 (Turn 5 bypass, not Cyclone). That's 26 seconds faster than my best lap time from my first weekend at Thunderhill, 3 years earlier. But of course besides 3 years of practice the car has a few thousand dollars of suspension, tires and wheels, plus no instructor weight! I noticed I am not making the tires squeal at all except sometimes in turn 14. Probably need to go back to sticky summer tires.

Instructors said I need to improve my footwork for both upshifts and downshifts, and.... wait for it... LOOK AHEAD!

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 11-12-2013 at 10:28 PM.

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    2 day school at Thunderhill last weekend (Nov 9-10) with BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter. My 3rd session on the 2nd day. It's my 6th day at Thunderhill and 3rd day on R-comp tires. Instructor signed me off for this session but a different instructor hopped in my car for the last Sunday session, so this was my only session driving solo. Had my fastest lap time of 2:14 (Turn 5 bypass, not Cyclone). That's 26 seconds faster than my best lap time from my first weekend at Thunderhill, 3 years earlier. But of course besides 3 years of practice the car has a few thousand dollars of suspension, tires and wheels, plus no instructor weight! I noticed I am not making the tires squeal at all except sometimes in turn 14. Probably need to go back to sticky summer tires.

Instructors said I need to improve my footwork for both upshifts and downshifts, and.... wait for it... LOOK AHEAD!
    Nice video! What suspension do you have? And what other mods?

Here is a lap at Sonoma Raceway. It's my second track day (1st being Thunderhill). Third session of the day. I have way more video but it was taking FOREVER to convert the video to be able to upload so I just cut out a lap:

Last edited by m1356guy; 11-12-2013 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Ah you must have been with NASA at Sonoma. I thought about going there too; have only one day at Sonoma and it was with NASA in June this year. Enjoyed your video--your steering inputs look smoother than mine.

Most of my car's mods are suspension and tires. Ground Control SA coilovers with 525/650 lb springs, GC camber plates, Hotchkis front swaybar, and stock rear swaybar. AKG poly FCABs and Vorshlag limiters with OEM RTABs. Rear control arm bushings are all original. Lightweight 17x8.5" wheels with Continental/Hoosier takeoffs. Some bolt on mods give me 9-14 more wheel horsepower than stock.
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 11-13-2013 at 02:26 AM.

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    Ah you must have been with NASA at Sonoma. I thought about going there too; have only one day at Sonoma and it was with NASA in June this year. Enjoyed your video--your steering inputs look smoother than mine.

Most of my car's mods are suspension and tires. Ground Control SA coilovers with 525/650 lb springs, GC camber plates, Hotchkis front swaybar, and stock rear swaybar. AKG poly FCABs and Vorshlag limiters with OEM RTABs. Rear control arm bushings are all original. Lightweight 17x8.5" wheels with Continental/Hoosier takeoffs. Some bolt on mods give me 9-14 more wheel horsepower than stock.
    Yeah the NASA event this last weekend was fun, but a little hectic at times to be honest. A lot of people on track, a lot of medical flags, lots of passing in the wrong places.

I'm not sure if it was a busy weekend or what but I wasn't impressed with the structure NASA runs for their HPDE Group 1 (I've only been with Hooked on Driving previously). NASA needs to have HPDE 1 run with only HPDE 1 cars and not mix in HPDE 2 cars that ran with HPDE 3 for the first session of the day because HPDE 3 has have different passing rules than HPDE 1; and when the HPDE 2 guys were brought back to Group 1 they were passing in all the wrong places that Group 1 cars were told you can't pass in. NASA also doesn't require point by, but require that you literally "wave" to each flag worker during your checkered lap, even though they call it a hot lap and allow passing on the designated straights. Very tough to wave as you're driving through a corner at speed. I've already mentioned this to them in my review sheet. But overall a good experience!

Thanks for the compliment I appreciate that! But of course I'm not going as fast as you in your video! How long did it take you to upload that 27 min vid?

I'm focusing on maintenance right now for my car but just bought some wheel studs I'm putting on this weekend. I think the first major mods I'll do next year are dedicated track pads, Dunlop Star Specs, maybe the Turner suspension package, and more more more seat time!!

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Sounds like a good plan. I also have wheel studs and they make changing the wheels so much easier.

My 2nd track day ever was with NASA So Cal. They don't let HPDE 2 run their first session with HPDE3, but they also have "Point bys recommended but not required" and it freaked me out a little. When I did Sonoma I was in HPDE1 and they did have HPDE2 run their first session with HPDE3. The HPDE 1/2 passing was fairly organized except for some trains, but turnout was kind of light that weekend so it wasn't too crowded. NASA can't really separate HPDE1 and HPDE2 for most days because that would require eliminating some other HPDE or race group, and having all the groups is what lets NASA make money or at least break even while charging much lower fees than BMW CCA (plus only having instructors for HPDE1, whereas CCA has instructors for everybody).

My ultimate NASA So Cal solution for was to graduate to HPDE3 where the drivers are more experienced and groups usually smaller. But I'm a slow learner so it took me many, many track days to get there. Some of the more talented graduate to HPDE3 by their 5th or 7th track day.
    I've never done Hooked On Driving.

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    Sounds like a good plan. I also have wheel studs and they make changing the wheels so much easier.

My 2nd track day ever was with NASA So Cal. They don't let HPDE 2 run their first session with HPDE3, but they also have "Point bys recommended but not required" and it freaked me out a little. When I did Sonoma I was in HPDE1 and they did have HPDE2 run their first session with HPDE3. The HPDE 1/2 passing was fairly organized except for some trains, but turnout was kind of light that weekend so it wasn't too crowded. NASA can't really separate HPDE1 and HPDE2 for most days because that would require eliminating some other HPDE or race group, and having all the groups is what lets NASA make money or at least break even while charging much lower fees than BMW CCA (plus only having instructors for HPDE1, whereas CCA has instructors for everybody).

My ultimate NASA So Cal solution for was to graduate to HPDE3 where the drivers are more experienced and groups usually smaller. But I'm a slow learner so it took me many, many track days to get there. Some of the more talented graduate to HPDE3 by their 5th or 7th track day.
    I've never done Hooked On Driving.
    That's interesting. I guess you're right, it would be a stretch to have an HPDE 1 run by themselves all day long. But to me it just seemed like there were too many in 1 and 2, which I'm sure wasn't the case for Sunday.

My goal is to be able to afford and get my competition license within 2 years--it's a long shot but I think I can do it! SE30 is what I'm looking towards.

My next two events this year are at Laguna with NorCal Shelby Car Club and Northern California Racing Club. Both seemed structured in different ways and both vary wildly in price...so I'm anxious to see how they go!!

We're getting off topic here with the videos. So I'll need to upload another lap tomorrow to make up for it

My Cars
    '93 e36 race car
    a bit of salsa.....my first race....my first crash! Look for the last 15 seconds, I am the e36. Ended up 2nd in the 1st heat even after crashing (long yellow) and 1st in the 2nd heat to win the class.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJPdZTFx33Q
    Last edited by Allona; 11-14-2013 at 03:47 PM.

My Cars
    E30-s50
    Here's a couple of laps at Thunderhill recently. E30's having fun until I make a mistake.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCxXfamR7yA

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    This was today's race at Summit, and it was pretty exciting! I started about sixth and spent almost the whole race battling with an Elva MkIV sports racer. There was an MGB behind me for a while, but he had to leave the race after A MINI ROLLED JUST BEHIND ME. You can see me respond to it in the video; I watched the whole thing unfold in the rear view mirror. The Elva and I worked through traffic, went back and forth, and I got beside him more than once. Unfortunately, the saga of Cortina setup continues and the brakes and front end were extremely unsettling. You can see the car move around a LOT under braking, especially at the end of the front straight. Sorry if I'm rambling, it was just pretty cool.

Enjoy watching though!

Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    hybrid
    NOLA MOTORSPORTS PARK 2.75mi 16 turn track in New Orleans. What an awesome facility and amazing track.

E36 M3 S54 - 320rwhp

996 GT3 + mods

E30 M3 S52 on slicks

all battling it out!

note: all cars are street legal and were driven to the track

Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    First track day at Laguna last Friday...

Boy are some mustang drivers nimrods

My Cars
    E36 M3 Dakar Yellow
    Quote Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
    First track day at Laguna last Friday... Boy are some mustang drivers nimrods YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsh6d1gg0mo
    Looks like a great time. Yes those Mustangs must had made a wrong turn on the way to the drag strip.
    Garage: E36 M3 Dakar Yellow / Yamaha R1M / Yamaha YZ450F/ Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Monster S4R/ Grand Cherokee Diesel

My Cars
    2 black ones
    Did the Daytona road course this past weekend.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuAL...9GYA7Kq8yYfksQ

My Cars
    E36 M3 Dakar Yellow
    ^ That's awesome
    Garage: E36 M3 Dakar Yellow / Yamaha R1M / Yamaha YZ450F/ Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Monster S4R/ Grand Cherokee Diesel

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3

Track Day Video Thread

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, Ok.

2001 M3 with coil overs, poly bushings, ssk, solid brake guide pins, PFC Z-rated pads, and a newb behind the wheel.

Last edited by ProjectD; 12-11-2013 at 11:04 PM.

My Cars
    e46 m3/e36 m3 gts3
    I've been on the forum for awhile now but haven't participated much ...

Here are a few videos from last season and beyond

NASA GL Mid-O Aug 2013 GTS-3
    Ex-World Challenge TCK 325

Another from the same weekend w/a different angle

2012 NASA GTS Championship race

2011 Championship race

There is a bunch more on my Vimeo page, check them out!

K. Deason 571 GTS-3

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    Second track day at Laguna, it was an absolute blast!

I'm setting a goal where if I can break the two minute mark (according to the video I'm lapping at 2:03) I'll dump some money into my car... i.e. sways, coilovers, tires. For those who have been to Laguna please critique!

My Cars
    E36 328i Coupe

My Cars
    1991 318is
    One of my favorite videos. I suppose it helps that it was my first win

Midwest Spec E30 #64

2013 NASA Midwest Rookie of the Year
    https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

My Cars
    Bmw 2002 tii A4, 3.0cs, 911SC
    Spokane
    Evan York driving my s54 e30 m3.

Rotors were glazed bad and RA1s were very crusty with a 2001 mould date

http://youtu.be/o1m9Dx-lizY

My Cars
    E46 M3, ITR
    Video of my car at Super Lap Battle with Tyler Mcquarrie behind the wheel. We're currently the fastest car overall mod/limited class including fwd/rwd/awd.

First video is 2 laps, 2nd video is Tyler's edit of the record lap.

My Time Attack build:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1799131

Thanks to: Okada Projects, JRZ Suspension, ESS Tuning, Klassen Wheels, Project Mu, AEM.

My Cars
    2018 M3, 1995 M3
    ...Instructors said I need to improve my footwork for both upshifts and downshifts, and.... wait for it... LOOK AHEAD!
    Are you heel and toeing? Everyday, every downshift. I did notice some abruptness on the upshifts. Just use your fingers, no rush, and those will smooth out. I noticed two things (and it is hard on the video). You are getting on the throttle a little late. A good example is 10 where you should be on it hard through the apex. I noticed it in T2 as well. Best way to get a feel for this is rides with advanced drivers. Get the car set a little earlier (loaded) and roll on the throttle right from turn in. I also noticed that you sometimes still had a bit of steering input at the exit berms on a few corners (sometimes not). Open, open the wheel. Not only will it make the car a bit faster at exit but will avoid nasty surprises. Those R compounds have more grip than you think.

Forgot to mention, seems to me your are a bit far from the wheel as your rolling your shoulder over just to make pretty moderate steering inputs. BMWCCA guideline (IIRC and I must because I still do it). Is wrist should rest on top of wheel with arm straight. Keeps everything relaxed.
    Last edited by 91M5; 01-09-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    Kevin
    2018 M3 Comp Black sapphire, ivory
    '95 M3, Avus/Dove, MCS SA 550/650, Conforti intake/software, 24" inj, 3.5" HFM, 18x9 Apex ARC8
    Prior BMW's:
    '07 335i manual
    '91 M5 Alpine white/black
    '89 325i

My Cars
    E30 M3,E28 M5,E39 M5 etc
    Quote Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
    For those who have been to Laguna please critique!
    I'm no expert at Laguna, but I had a blast learning it this summer! A few things I noticed was that your braking on the rumble strips, something I wouldn't do. It's uncomfortable to drive on and increases your braking distance. The 6 inch difference between rumbles and pavement isn't worth the distance lost in the brake zone. Most corners you keep the wheel turned after the apex. You shouldn't immediately have the wheel straight after an apex, but it should be unwinding. If your giving that much input after a turn, it usually means the turn was started too early.

My Cars
    2003 M3

Sebring Winterfest Sunday Morning Sessions

2014 Winterfest Sebring PBOC

I put the car into the wall on 17a Friday night. I ran Sat and Sun without front bumper and whole right side dented in.

Sunday 8:30 AM Semi-WET Track 60 deg

Sunday 10:50 AM Dry Track 66 deg

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by razormy View Post
    2014 Winterfest Sebring PBOC

I put the car into the wall on 17a Friday night. I ran Sat and Sun without front bumper and whole right side dented in.
    Glad you were able to keep it running for the rest of the weekend! I can't stand that Cayman's flashing brake lights. Looking forward to being at Sebring in a month or so!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast