Thread: DIY: e39 SWAY BAR LINK REPLACEMENT

My Cars
    you see it

DIY: e39 SWAY BAR LINK REPLACEMENT

2001 BMW 530i Sway Bar Link Replacement (PICS COMING SOON)

There was a request on one of my threads to write up a DIY for changing sway bar links, so here it is. It's pretty simle and straight forward. This is my first DIY write-up, so please bare with me.

At 80k miles, here is my observation:

-Symptoms include very annoying knocking when going over slight bumps. I noticed it got worse after my trip to ATL so I decided it was time to address the problem.
    -Jacked up car and did some wiggling of parts, noticed excessive play in the passenger sway bar link. Must be the culprit!

PARTS LIST:
    1. Sway bar link was ordered on EACTuning.com. I just went with the Karlyn brand ($28 shipped).

2. 16mm socket: I used a deep socket since it was the first thing I saw in my tool box.

3. Impact wrench: If you don't have an impact wrench, a breaker bar should work just fine.

4. PB Blaster (optional but highly recommended): I don't do anything under a car without soaking nuts/bolts first with PB Blaster. I soaked the nuts and bolts really good the night before, and also about 30 mins before I began the tear down to make things break easier.

5. Vice Grips (medium size)

6. Jack and 2 jack stands: SAFETY FIRST - please be sure your car emergency brakes is engaged, and jack stands mounted correctly.

7. Gloves (optional): I always wear gloves when removing tires is involved to avoid my hands turning black.

PROCEDURE:

1. SAFETY FIRST! Raise and properly support the vehicle with both wheels off the ground. I first jacked the passenger side all the way up as high as it would go. Then placed a jack stand on the center mounting support under the motor. Lower your jack and the driver side will magically lift off the ground and become even with the passenger side. It will be very difficult getting the links off and on with only one tire off the ground. Please make sure the car has e brake on and brick under rear tires to keep from rolling. Your life is way more valuable than the car.

2. Remove the tire to gain access to the front suspension.

3. Spray top and bottom nuts and bolts of the sway bar link with PB Blaster and let penetrate for about 15 - 20 mins before you start. I also sprayed the day before.

4. Take your 16mm socket and impact wrench to break the nuts loose. I did this one first since it was easiest to get to. You may need to slightly rotate the tire to gain access. Gently grab the rotor and turn the wheel accordingly. The bottom one is a little harder to get to, you may need to rotate the tire again to get to it. I had to get on my back on the ground to break this one. Luckily I had a piece of carpet to lay on.

5. Now that you have the nuts loosened, you probably are not able to spin the nut off b/c the entire shaft is spinning with the nut. So this is were the vice grips come in handy. Place the vice grips tightly behind the nut (there's a spot with 2 flats for you to clamp the vice grips to) and find a spot for it to rest against for resistance. Now you can take your impact wrench and zap the nut the rest of the way off. Do the same for the bottom nut.

6. Remove the sway bar link and observe. It was obvious once I wiggled both ends that one side was completely broken under the boot. The other side was still nice and tight with smooth rotation.

INSTALLATION COMING SOON ONCE PART ARRIVES TOMORROW!!
    Last edited by bimmerlova; 05-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.

2001 BMW 530i Sport v6 Automatic, 77k miles, Royal Red Metallic

My Cars
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon
    Is this task generally hopeless without an impact wrench? I have only my less than Charles Atlas physique and a 24" breaker bar.

Thanks,
    2014 i3 BEV, 2016 X5 xDrive40e
    Myrtle Beach SC

My Cars
    you see it
    YEESS!! No more knocking in the suspension. Nice smooth ride now!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tinius View Post
    Is this task generally hopeless without an impact wrench? I have only my less than Charles Atlas physique and a 24" breaker bar.

Thanks,
    I'd say you should be able to do it with a breaker bar, but make sure you have some PB Blaster on deck. Spray it on a day before you get ready to do the job, and again that day. Make sure your socket sits flat on the nut and hold the socket in place as your turn to be sure not to round it off. I'm sure you know all that...

My Cars
    you see it
    Honestly no pics are really needed for this DIY. It's really str8 forward.

My Cars
    1996 e39 523i
    The PB Blaster tip is a good one.
    Can you please take a picture of the washer location and size.
    I can not figure out which washer goes where ( I am doing front and back and can't recall)

My Cars
    you see it
    Quote Originally Posted by luminmiller View Post
    The PB Blaster tip is a good one.
    Can you please take a picture of the washer location and size.
    I can not figure out which washer goes where ( I am doing front and back and can't recall)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368381562.704381.jpg

You can see the washer in this picture. I think it's the top bolt on the front sway bar links. I just but it back the one it came off of. I also used the OEM bolts. The ones that came with the links I bought just looked cheap.

My Cars
    99 540it Wagon
    i did mine back in November. I just want to be clear the front wheels do NOT have to be loaded to tighten these? Im getting echoing clunking going over any road imperfection, its driving me nuts, so I pulled the wheels
    off and everything is tight. If it helps to jack up the front wheel and retighten I will.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    For those searching and landing here, I just did mine, heard a very slight noise in the rear. Barely audible while driving. While swapping over my winter wheels I noticed upon closer inspection the rear driver side link was totally broken and clinking around back there. Here's my 5 min DIY video:

link: https://youtu.be/q_tR12TNrGU

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E39 DIY
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!