Thread: DME Self-test error? E36

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3

DME Self-test error? E36

Hey guys,
    I'm running an EWS-deleted ECU in my E36 from a forum member on here. It ran fine for a few days (great, actually, better than ever). After a few days, the engine has started stalling entirely at random, regardless of any other conditions. Had BMW pull the codes to find a DME self-test error routine. Anyone know what this is or what I can do about it?

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    It means the checksum is not correct.
    It's unlikely to be the cause of the stalling though, that could be an electrical issue, or maybe a crank sensor, especially if the rev needle kicks about when stalling.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    I thought about crankshaft position sensor, but it just.. dies. And then starts up after a few minutes, sometimes immediately. No weird RPM fluctuations, no fluttering, no hesitation just... bam. Dead.

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    Bump.. did two 30m drives and didn't have issues. Inspected my DME's pins and found no obvious problems other than some dusty leftover flux that I cleaned up. Not guaranteed fixed yet, but looking relatively good.

My Cars
    E10 E21 E24 E36 E46
    I would 1st change the crank sensor. Symptoms match 100% (excl the diag fault). The diag fault could be a feature of tampered box. And it is possible that DME runs self-diag occasially at some inverval (just quess)

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Have a look at the MAF pipe too, tears in this are common to make the car stall or jump about when trying to drive.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    99 E36 M3 VF V3
    Will do. Thanks!

///M Power / 99 M3/2/5, VF V3

My Cars
    1997 323iS
    Hello guys i realize this thread is really old, but im also getting a DTC 100, self test and the car is cranking and fueling but not sparking.
    My DME is stock and it has never been tampered with, issue started after car was sitting in the (Very humid) garage for 20 days. And a valve cover gasket job.
    The DTC 100 is the only error showing on scanner and had never appeared in the past.
    Car is a OBDII 323i