Thread: S50 misfiring around 3k RPM code 1274

My Cars
    1995 m3

S50 misfiring around 3k RPM code 1274

So I have an intermittent misfire issue at around 3k rpm. If I'm below or above 2500-3500 rpm the car runs fine and the CEL is off. Between that range it misfires and the CEL comes on. Stomp test reads 1274, swapped coil packs and the code still comes back for misfire on #4. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

My Cars
    1995 m3
    Bump. Replaced spark plugs with NGK coppers and swapped coil with another cylinder still shows the same code. Any way to pinpoint what it is?

Thanks

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jmejia15 View Post
    Bump. Replaced spark plugs with NGK coppers and swapped coil with another cylinder still shows the same code. Any way to pinpoint what it is?

Thanks

How are your knock sensors. Also from what I hear this may be related to the camshaft position sensor.

My Cars
    1995 m3
    Neither have been replaced since I've owned the car, PO never mentioned changing them. Is there a way I can pinpoint the problem before I get desperate and start throwing parts at the issue lol

My Cars
    1995 M3 and 1997 FZJ80
    In my experience, a stutter/miss at high RPM range usually points to knock sensors. However, that code is usually stored as 1226. I replaced mine on my 95 and it fixed that code and my stutter.

Other high RPM stutter's could also be related to the crank position sensor as mentioned above. Luckily that one is easy to replace.

I googled code 1274 and didn't come up with anything. You sure that code is correct?

My Cars
    1995 m3
    Hmm the site I checked says 1274 is ignition coil #4, would a knock sensor or camshaft position sensor cause that code to come up?

My Cars
    95 M3
    I'm having the same problem with my 95 M3, what did you find out to fix it?

My Cars
    95 M3
    I'm having the same problem with my 95 M3, what did you find out to fix it?

UPDATE:
    OP told me he replaced the O2 sensor and it fixed his problem. Our M3s are from the same build month btw.

I replaced all my coils, DME, Fuel filter, spark plugs, O2 sensor and some other items with no luck. Then it started throwing a code for Crank Position Sensor. I check the resistance and it was 440ohms. Replaced the CPS and while I was at it replaced the aging vacuum hoses and intake elbow. Runs great now.

Also my M3 was showing codes 1271 and 1274 even after coil replacement and then it started showing 1243. Not throwing any codes now!

My Cars
    BMW e36 325is
    Reviving an old thread....

I am having a similar issue throwing a 1274 code, engine is not misfiring, swapped coil packs around still getting the same code, knock sensors are new and injectors worked perfectly fine before I rebuilt the engine any leads?....

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicfabb View Post
    Reviving an old thread....

I am having a similar issue throwing a 1274 code, engine is not misfiring, swapped coil packs around still getting the same code, knock sensors are new and injectors worked perfectly fine before I rebuilt the engine any leads?....
    MAF clean? The contacts clean?

Could also be a faulty Crank position sensor. I've seen CPS sensors and even cam sensors make weird codes show up.
    Last edited by Hova; 03-19-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Instead of throwing parts at the car, have you considered getting it scanned?

Or scanning it yourself? Decent scanners (not an OBD reader) are affordable. See the Diagnostic Software sub-forum for more info.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Decent scanners (not an OBD reader) are affordable. See the Diagnostic Software sub-forum for more info.
    Affordable sure but so much time and frustration just trying to figure out what you need for your specific car and then trying to get all of the software to actually work, whew..

Could you point out specifically the threads with what software and devices you need for an OBD1 M3 and how to set it up?
    E36 M3 S50 - E53 X5 M54 - 1980 Porsche 931 - 2001 Impreza RS25