Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: The People's Build: S54 e36 on a Budget

My Cars
    1966 C10 on bags
    Great looking swap, I'm definitely going to follow.

Which seller did those headers come from? I'm looking into headers for my swap and it seems to be a crap shoot depending on what seller it's from.

My Cars
    E36 M3

NICE BUILD
    Its interesting to see how corrosive some Non BMW coolant can be on aluminum cylinder heads.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Noted!

Thanks Rob. Looks like all I need are the o2 sensors from steve and we are good to go

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1991bmw View Post
    Great looking swap, I'm definitely going to follow.

Which seller did those headers come from? I'm looking into headers for my swap and it seems to be a crap shoot depending on what seller it's from.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stainlese-Ste...d=483311850086

All day! cheapest on the market, supersprint replica design and fitment looks to be spot on w/ better than expected welds!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

NOTE #2

VAC does not have a Rod Bearing Install guide. Does anyone have any info as I cannot find any in the bentley manual

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    Quote Originally Posted by Plynch325IS View Post

NOTE #2

VAC does not have a Rod Bearing Install guide. Does anyone have any info as I cannot find any in the bentley manual

I would try to find someone who has done a bunch of them to come over and help. I would think that this is a very critical part of the build, and with the inherent stresses those bearings take, it really could make or break this project :/

My Cars
    Yes please
    The people spoke and gave their recommendations, so I acted accordingly! All seemed to agree that the VAC rod bearings and ARP connector bolts were a must. After doing a ton of research and sending a million PM's, I agreed! I also read a bunch of pieces on the vanos bolts shearing and grenading the motor... better take care of that as well!

Vanos off and safely out of the way

See those 6 little guys on the wheels? Those are our culprits!

New ones in! Although the old bolts were in fine condition, It was nice to have the peace of mind of new materials w/ a little blue loctite for added protection of backing out

ARP bolts in! Everything was plasti-measured, tq's to spec and quadrouple checked! Only one of the bolts gave us an issue coming off.. Pretty smooth sailing

We mocked up the headers yesterday as well. We lucked out on one set, but the other is completely off and clocked in an odd fashion. Calling my fabricator today but I believe the plan is to heat that bad boy up and see if we can bang it out a bit. I'll get another photo of it before we fix the issue.

Ordering shims for the valve adjustment today! Install still on schedule for Friday! Ahhh!

Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

didn't take any photos of the bearing install, but obviously those made their way in as well.

- - - Updated - - -

The bearings seemed in spec for 62k with typical wear. Nothing dramatic, but again it's good to have fresh parts in problem areas. My mind will be at ease when I'm clocking 8500rpm on Road Atlanta

What is the typical break-in mileage for new bearings? Anyone know?
    Last edited by Plynch325IS; 05-28-2013 at 08:42 AM.

My Cars
    Turbo Miata
    i was dreading every step of all of this...but it's actually going really smoothly so far. ::knockinonwood::

as much as i traditionaly hated anything DTM, im really enjoying working on this thing!!
    Last edited by thinnertenor; 05-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.

My Cars
    Yes please
    o2 sensors arrived today along with the 3 shims I needed to complete the valve job and such. Picked up some BMW coolant while I was at the dealership. fluids, gaskets and filters are sitting at the shop to pick up on Friday.

Still on Schedule

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    There is no breakin on bearings. In theory the bearing should never touch the crank so nothing to wear in.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    95' euro m3 cosmos coupe
    The builder who did mine in the UK said to take it easy for the 1st 500 miles with revs below 4,000 then change oil. Even with varying opinions I did it anyway
    for peace of mind just because I spent alot on the swap
    Last edited by barkmancosmosm3; 05-29-2013 at 09:40 PM.

My Cars
    Yes please
    I've heard several explanations and opinions. Trying to find some solidity on the bearing question.

My Cars
    Turbo Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by barkmancosmosm3 View Post
    The builder who did mine in the UK said to take it easy for the 1st 500 miles with revs below 4,000 then change oil. Even with varying opinions I did it anyway
    this sounds about right to me. especially since the bearings installed are coated (ie: no metal to metal at ALL)

My Cars
    Yes please
    Awesome. Nothing like some 10-60 TWS in and out in less that 500 miles LOL

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    Also the metal drain plug we spoke about,other than that excited to get the ball rolling.

My Cars
    '17 M3, '03 M5, '95 M3
    I've heard several explanations and opinions. Trying to find some solidity on the bearing question.
    You've got VAC's bearings...call VAC for the final word on breaking their product
    '21 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (blk/blk), '17 M3 (Tanzanite / Golden Brown)
    '95 E36 M3 Race Car (Cosmos Black S54 swapped CM/GTS-4)

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by roundelm5 View Post
    You've got VAC's bearings...call VAC for the final word on breaking their product
    10-4. Picking up filters, gaskets, fluids and intake materials today at lunch. Diff support and full plug and play harness from Rob and Dave will be here via FedEx at 3pm. Starting at 6pm tonight. Pretty Excited!

My Cars
    Turbo Miata
    M52 comes out tonight!!

Two and a half days of BMW nonsense filling up my entire garage. yaaaaay.

(dont tell anyone i said this, but I am kind of excited, lol.)

....and I'll make sure plynch takes lots of pics in the process! could be a reference if we document it well enough.
    Last edited by thinnertenor; 05-31-2013 at 11:17 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 92 325is, 4runner
    Did you check out the EPIC treated bearings in your search? Just curious if VAC were the best bearings you could find

Awesome. Nothing like some 10-60 TWS in and out in less that 500 miles LOL
    Haha. The only downside to the S54. Hopefully my build goes as smoothly as yours

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by n0te1oner View Post
    Did you check out the EPIC treated bearings in your search? Just curious if VAC were the best bearings you could find

Haha. The only downside to the S54. Hopefully my build goes as smoothly as yours
    The VAC bearing option was the best IMO. I also checked with them ans they said 100% sure there's no break in period what so ever. I'll still take it easy but this makes things a bit more interesting. Clip is off and motor is out. Cleaning and prep for front akg subframe reinforcement finished as well.

Stay tuned! BIG moves today!

My Cars
    Turbo Miata
    hey clean guy!

wheres piktars?!?
    B.J. Walker
    90 Miata Turbo stickmanBUILT

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    The people spoke and gave their recommendations, so I acted accordingly! All seemed to agree that the VAC rod bearings and ARP connector bolts were a must. After doing a ton of research and sending a million PM's, I agreed! I also read a bunch of pieces on the vanos bolts shearing and grenading the motor... better take care of that as well!

Vanos off and safely out of the way

See those 6 little guys on the wheels? Those are our culprits!

New ones in! Although the old bolts were in fine condition, It was nice to have the peace of mind of new materials w/ a little blue loctite for added protection of backing out

ARP bolts in! Everything was plasti-measured, tq's to spec and quadrouple checked! Only one of the bolts gave us an issue coming off.. Pretty smooth sailing

We mocked up the headers yesterday as well. We lucked out on one set, but the other is completely off and clocked in an odd fashion. Calling my fabricator today but I believe the plan is to heat that bad boy up and see if we can bang it out a bit. I'll get another photo of it before we fix the issue.

Ordering shims for the valve adjustment today! Install still on schedule for Friday! Ahhh!

Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

didn't take any photos of the bearing install, but obviously those made their way in as well.

- - - Updated - - -

The bearings seemed in spec for 62k with typical wear. Nothing dramatic, but again it's good to have fresh parts in problem areas. My mind will be at ease when I'm clocking 8500rpm on Road Atlanta

What is the typical break-in mileage for new bearings? Anyone know?
    Splendid job. Make sure you let that oil warm up before going over 3k and that thing will be around for very long
    Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
    There is no breakin on bearings. In theory the bearing should never touch the crank so nothing to wear in.
    This^^^ listen to gobuffs. I've learned a thing or two from him in the past. Hes one of the few mebers you should actually pay some attention too.
    Quote Originally Posted by roundelm5 View Post
    Id do this but like gobuffs mentioned above they aren't break-in/wear-in items so as soon as your oil is up to temp, in theory you should be good to go. However if it makes you feel at ease, take your time for the first 1k or first oil change...

If your clutch is new then break it in like you'd normally do. That should be enough time.
    Last edited by JCooper; 06-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by thinnertenor View Post
    hey clean guy!

wheres piktars?!?

I have pictures...Blog will be up soon with the header information.

My Cars
    Yes please
    What a weekend! Motor is in and scheduled to hit the pavement tonight! I'll post more photos and info once we finish up.

My Cars
    e36 325i 5MT, e36 M3 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by barkmancosmosm3 View Post
    True! And make sure you use non synthetic oil if the rings were changed!
    I used Lucas break in oil when I rebuilt mine.
    www.mr5racing.com
    2001 BMW 330ci 5MT (Sold) -- 2003.5 BMW M3 6MT (Sold) -- 2007 BMW 335i 6MT [441 whp 483 wtq (not stock)] (Sold) -- 1994 BMW 325i 5MT [202 whp 178 wtq (not stock)] -- 1999 BMW M3 5MT [263 whp 233 wtq) (not stock)]

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    It's been a couple of days. Any updates? Pictures? videos? I'm curious about the AC and the cruise control.

I'm currently at a crossroads with my S50 and considering the S54 swap but I want everything to function and not ready to give up cruise or AC.

Excellent Build and great work with keeping up with the updates. Can you come up with a total build price without labor as I'm looking at just about copying your build.
    Ted Teten
    1995 M3 Coupe - S52'd

My Cars
    Yes please
    Car is on all 4 wheels and drove around the lot for the first time today! Ill write a thorough update tomorrow complete with photos and info. Total build cost will be added at a later date as I need to chase down all my receipts.

Patrick

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast