Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: The People's Build: S54 e36 on a Budget

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OptionlessM View Post
    What is the difference (if any) between an OBD1 E36 and an OBD2 E36 when you are doing this engine swap.
    I think the emissions testing of where you live play more into chassis selection. It really doesn't matter OBD1 or 2.
    Sean

My Cars
    M3
    I noticed a for sale page for S54 wiring harnesses in the FS section. It differentiates OBD1 vs. OBD2 for the wiring harness and charges a bit more for OBD1.

Anyway, in CA, I guess they would still just do sniff test emissions for the '95. If you can sneak by the visual.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    I noticed a for sale page for S54 wiring harnesses in the FS section. It differentiates OBD1 vs. OBD2 for the wiring harness and charges a bit more for OBD1.

Anyway, in CA, I guess they would still just do sniff test emissions for the '95. If you can sneak by the visual.
    OBD1 cars you have to add OBD2 port and whatnot to engine harness for example.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon

IF you can get it to pass the visual, they'll do a sniff test. Without a BAR sticker though that certifies the swap as legit, you're likely going to be failed and flagged. Smog techs aren't dumb.

If you go through the CARB/BAR process to get the engine swap certified (and pass....), you then only have to do electronic smog check for all subsequent smog checks-- they check OBD2 diagnostics and visual inspection and that's it.

Mine is a 95, and I had to add ALL the emissions components, as well as a functioning CEL and OBD2 port. It required sourcing the OBD2 fuel vapor system, merging with the E46 M3 charcoal canister (DMTL) system, running factory E46 M3 cats, and maintaining the secondary air pump.

It's not hard to do it right, it just takes a couple more weekends to do it. If you're making a track car, there's no reason to do the emissions stuff. My thread (see sig) goes over what I did to get it through the CA process.

As for OBD1 vs 2, you have to do enough custom wiring that there is almost no difference. The plumbing for the EVAP stuff can be repurposed, so that's a bonus to the OBD2, but that's about the only tangible benefit provided you are starting with a good example of an OBD1 and OBD2 car.

What is a pain in the ass is the DSC integration. Holy shit don't do that.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 05-09-2016 at 06:35 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    Yes please
    Interesting stuff!

So I FINALLY got the car down to my new residence and took it for a drive with the new Hawk pads and all I can say is WOW. The stopping power is night and day. The first time I stood on them it was around dusk and sparks came out of both fronts which immediately had me worried but apparently that's the norm!

After I went a bit further, I noticed my steering to be a bit wonky. The kinda wanders to the left.. A bit to the right etc etc. the steering and alignment was completely locked in last June for its last track day and it has been sitting since besides a putt around the block every once in a while.

My only ideas are 1.) it's always been like that and I got used to the tighter 95 m3 rack DD but doubtful. 2.) something in the alignment became loose 3.) tire pressure 4.) the rack is bad... But how could the rack just go 'bad' when it was fine before. No twitching or issues at speed at Road Atlanta and now it feels pretty unstable and untrustworthy. Lots of wandering when the wheel is still and inconsistent feedback.

Any ideas?

Patrick

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    95m rack isn't "tighter"

Your rack is old and may just need a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by DekaB View Post
    95m rack isn't "tighter" Your rack is old and may just need a rebuild. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    95m rack !=96+m rack
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    95m rack !=96+m rack
    I thought the order was z3 1.9>96m>95m> non m

My Cars
    Yes please
    It's just very unstable at speed, which I don't remember ever being an issue. It seems off to me that it would just go 'bad' sitting if it were a rack issue. There is an event at PBIR on the 28th if anyone is in the area and would like to come out! Thinking of taking it out.

My Cars
    Yes please
    anyone up for a PBIR or Homestead track weekend?

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DekaB View Post
    I thought the order was z3 1.9>96m>95m> non m
    All z3 non-M racks are 2.7 turn lock to lock, the mcoupe has the 3.2 turn like all 96+ M3s. The 95 m3 rack is 3 turns lock to lock. I can't remember the ratio on the e46 330 zhp rack, but I've seen people switch to that as well. The best but most expensive is the early z4 mcoupe rack with out the electronic assist, 2.5 turns lock to lock.

My Cars
    Only the 1.9 had that rack.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Hey guys!

Just checking in and seeing how everyone is doing. Still have the car and all is running strong!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Plynch325IS View Post
    Hey guys!

Just checking in and seeing how everyone is doing. Still have the car and all is running strong!
    I sold my s54 swap car last summer .

Picked that up. Debating if I should do another s54 swap, or something else.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    88 325, 91 325ix, 95 M3
    What did you end up doing with the AC? Do you have a final list of parts and things you did?

Thanks!
    Sean

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I sold my s54 swap car last summer .

Picked that up. Debating if I should do another s54 swap, or something else.

gorgeous! SWAP IT hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
    What did you end up doing with the AC? Do you have a final list of parts and things you did?

Thanks!
    Sean
    nothing was changed, that was all black magic on Markert Motor Works side in the harness I believe. Give them a buzz, ask for Rob or Dave and tell them Patrick sent you

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    It's soo sad how photobucket has ruined 90% of documented builds on here. I hope the OP can re-upload the images to the local site.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    It's soo sad how photobucket has ruined 90% of documented builds on here. I hope the OP can re-upload the images to the local site.
    I plan on it and hey everyone! Anyone know the easiest route to fix these photos? Alsoooo Believe it or not, the car is still in one piece and making time to get it out to the track every 2-4 months. Spending a lot of time down at homestead if anyone is local.

What’s changed on the car: RE71R compound has COMPLETELY changed the car along with the sneed speed splitter going on. I was running the S04 pole positions and that just wasn’t cutting it after 3-4 laps. I also picked up some 986 PN Porsche brembos and 996 PN rears to FINALLY slow this thing down properly. Lines, sensors and upgraded master will be going in as well. I also added a CSF oil cooler that has really helped down here in the Miami Heat. I was getting close to 300 degree temps in the summer, this is keeping the car happy around 240-250 when I’m pushing.

I hope everyone is doing great!

My Cars
    Yes please
    PHOTOS ARE BACK UP! Enjoy! I’ll add some updates over the last couple years over the weekend if time permits.

My Cars
    Yes please
    hope everyone is doing well!

My Cars
    99 Dakar M3
    I want to do this swap so bad

There will be at least two of us with S54 swaps at Road Atlanta on 3/8. Come on out.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    Yes please
    Made my way out to homestead road course last Sunday! Car is still running happy and healthy �� adding an e36 M3 master and the Bimmerworld oil cooler diverter valve this week. Ended up going with the e46 330 calipers up front and 325 in the rear but my pedal is still a little mushy so on goes the master! How’s everyone doing? Any track days coming up?
    Last edited by Plynch325IS; 09-24-2019 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Awesome

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Yes please
    Hi Gang! The S54 E36 is for sale. The car mostly sits unless on track so it's time for someone else to enjoy. I'll be posting a for sale ad up shortly but I figured I would give the followers of this post the first shot. 62k motor, about 18k on it since install and roughly 160k on the chassis. 14.5k. pm me with any questions or interest or for a quicker response, @itsplynch on instagram.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast