Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The People's Build: S54 e36 on a Budget

My Cars
    Yes please
    UPDATE: Trying to solve A/C. I am having a whale of a time figuring out how to add on A/C in a reliable fashion. If anyone knows anything, please PM me!

My Cars
    i have gotten a few pms about this subject now. two people have said that they have it wired up to turn on without thedme "being told". they say the engine compensates fine and dont have an issue. however, i have researched many standalone or flashed stock dmes from different surces and most say "dont support a/c"

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    It has to do with the ecu flash and the wiring...
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    It has to do with the ecu flash and the wiring...
    issue fixed!!!

My Cars
    '17 M3, '03 M5, '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Plynch325IS View Post
    I am more than likely going with the euro headers. There is an ebay option but I am so sketched out by what just happened I might stick a little more to the beaten path for the rest of this build.
    Consider BW Pacesetter S54 headers - Euro copy. Tough to beat (price/quality/support) for $600
    http://store.bimmerworld.com/paceset...ader-p695.aspx
    '21 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (blk/blk), '17 M3 (Tanzanite / Golden Brown)
    '95 E36 M3 Race Car (Cosmos Black S54 swapped CM/GTS-4)

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    Pat, glad you are enjoying it. I do hope you plan on getting dirty on this build. I can only do so much lol.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    You can use a s52/s50 clutch on the motor, it will bolt up. I recommend UUC's clutch kit. For tuning i would call up epic motorsports and speak to randy. Good luck, i hope to do this at the end of the summer. Subscribed

Dream big, work hard, and let what you love, be what you do.

Best in Arizona, Certified Master Technitions, Founded in 1992 and family owned since.
    http://ultimateautoworks.com/

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by DekaB View Post
    Pat, glad you are enjoying it. I do hope you plan on getting dirty on this build. I can only do so much lol.
    Of course! Whatever you and BJ need help with, I'll be there.

UPDATE: I've decided to go with Rob Eskew of R3skew Motorsports for the s54 dme flash/tune. He has been nothing but a stand up guy during this entire process. I feel like he's just as excited as I am! Once I get my parts list completed, I will be sending out my dme for their high performance tune. Stay tuned!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roundelm5 View Post
    Consider BW Pacesetter S54 headers - Euro copy. Tough to beat (price/quality/support) for $600
    http://store.bimmerworld.com/paceset...ader-p695.aspx

I've heard great things, but I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the euro m3 header. oem sounds quite sexy after the jvt blunder hah!

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    Well Pat, I am glad you have gone with a tuner. Do you still need to get that plug?

My Cars
    '17 M3, '03 M5, '95 M3
    Consider BW strapless clutch/flywheel...
    http://store.bimmerworld.com/new---b...bon-p1305.aspx

Awesome piece...I've been running for 2yrs and it's fantastic. There's one FS here...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ch-Flywheel-V2

My Cars
    95 M3, 92 325is, 4runner
    Good luck with everything. Just picked up a S54 longblock and some other goodies so using you as motivation haha.

My Cars
    Yes please
    1100 bucks is too steep for me sir, what a gorgeous bw piece! I wish!

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Plynch325IS View Post
    1100 bucks is too steep for me sir, what a gorgeous bw piece! I wish!
    +1 You absolutely do not need that. Save your money for other things. A S50/S52 even an M52 clutch will be sufficient! They are good for up to 300HP iirc.

My Cars
    '17 M3, '03 M5, '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JCooper View Post
    +1 You absolutely do not need that. Save your money for other things. A S50/S52 even an M52 clutch will be sufficient! They are good for up to 300HP iirc.
    Not suggesting it's the only choice but it's a bulletproof choice. And by the way, most bone stock S54s with decemt tune and intake/exhaust are good for more than 300rwhp. I know quite a few putting down 320-330 with only those mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by roundelm5 View Post
    Not suggesting it's the only choice but it's a bulletproof choice. And by the way, most bone stock S54s with decemt tune and intake/exhaust are good for more than 300rwhp. I know quite a few putting down 320-330 with only those mods.

Point taken & I hear you buddy. Absolutely no pun intended; however his thread title clearly states hes on a budget. That bimmerworld piece is more like a premium/luxary alternative as appose to a necessity.
    Last edited by JCooper; 05-02-2013 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    Speaking of budgets , is there a running total to date on this "budget" build?
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    E46
    Not having a/c is the only reason I have been hesitant in this swap. If you find a way I will definitely be reconsidering. subscribed.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Wait a minute. I can use my m52 clutch/flywheel? I need some solid answers on what clutch/flywheel solution to use. I would love to get an ebay f1 chromoly flywheel and call it a day but I've heard that I need a m3 clutch as well.. plus someone said earlier in the thread something about the bolts scratching on the flywheel with the f1 kit.. which sounds like a nightmare.

the clutch is practically brand new. Someone help me out on this.

I'll have a running total on all of this sooner as opposed to later. What I have off the top of my head so far:

complete s54 pullout, dme, wiring harness w/ 62k and bearing recall : 2,926.59

s54 z3m new oem radiator: 151.08

Supersprint replica exhaust: 200.00

e46 m3 pedal/ pigtail: 100.00

Bentley e46 Service manual: 68.00

European e46 m3 Headers: 550.00
    (you could go w/ ebay ~200.00, but I'm liking oem fitment as of now. Deciding this piece over the weekend.)

So far so good. I will get a little off track the bottom line budget build with items such as VAC rod bearing bolts/connectors, European e46 m3 headers and akg mounts /bushings but I might as well get everything in line while I have it out.

Still trying to figure out:

Do I just need a s54 flywheel?

can I use my m52 clutch?

if I get a clutch, will the s52 m3 f1 ebay stage 1 chromoly setup be okay? Previous members said I should be fine w/ minor modification.

AC WILL BE IN THIS CAR - Hell or high water, it'll be in here. Figuring out a solution to that as we speak.

My Cars
    '17 M3, '03 M5, '95 M3
    S50/52 clutch and flywheel will bolt right up. If you have a good setup from prior motor install, you can use it. How you drive will dictate how long it lasts and what it will take.

My Cars
    Yes please
    it's an m52 clutch/flywheel, I need to know if that works or not.

Also, I'm making my head hurt on a header selection. I can pick up euro m3 headers for 550 or go w/ the hassle of ebay headers for around 200 bucks. I dont mind wrestling with fitment, I just want to have good numbers from the product.

ebay? euro? I'm honestly not sure. thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

here's my headache: Obviously the euro guys are getting rid of these for better headers (supersprint) so why wouldn't i get supersprint reps and deal with fitment?

My Cars
    2014 550i
    I had the eBay super sprint reps on my M52TU in my Z3. Different animal than the S54 but fitment was fine on mine. Got some of the spray on ceramic treatment and they worked fine for my budget at the time. I've read some people complained about the welds on them but mine were solid.

My Cars
    Do u have any info on his dme flash services? I went to website and cant get anywhere on it without a password. What did he have to say about a/c capability?

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    What tranny are You using? The E46 M3 6 speed has a larger input shaft to the tranny. The 5 speeds all use the same size as the E36 5 speeds. The M52 clutch should handle the S54 power but why risk it?
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by patb1 View Post
    Do u have any info on his dme flash services? I went to website and cant get anywhere on it without a password. What did he have to say about a/c capability?
    Markermotorworks.com is the site. They can help you with AC!

My Cars
    Yes please
    And flash services... Sorry I'm on my phone.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast