Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: The People's Build: S54 e36 on a Budget

My Cars
    Yes please

The People's Build: S54 e36 on a Budget

Hello All!

Since 2006, I have spent numerous hours of reading, learning and admiring all of the work you guys have done. I've posted some ridiculous things in the Kill Stories Section, I've asked several questions on mechanical issues and thanks to the Track and swap forum guys... I have finally reached this point.

This is My S54 e36 Build Thread (I seriously just got goosebumps typing that!)

This is my 1997 328is. 148k miles, 5 speed, Bilstein PSS Suspension, m3 3.23 differential, oem polished LTW's, glass projector headlights, M3 body panel dressings, new clutch and all bushings/ ball joints refreshed.

I picked her (Rafaella) up almost 2 years ago in Kentucky. I addressed the mechanical issues, worked my way to cosmetic and then wrapped around to track improvements.

This was just installed a few weeks ago:

It went in great! Matched my new black armrest nicely

Before that, I went to a Bilstein PSS Coilover suspension along with the balljoints, bushings control arms and other bits and pieces refreshed for my first ever track weekend at Road Atlanta back in 2011.

I eventually want to move to a set spring rate with adjustable dampers and such, but I love my PSS setup for daily driving purposes.

I began life on this site completely enamored with the European e36 M3. I researched countless hours to find a way to make one mine with my imaginary moneys. The More I read, the more I realized that this was not a reasonable process. Shortly after that, I realized the issues and prices for parts/ track concerns and early double vanos problems... so I moved away from that possibility. The euro motor would have gone into my previous e36- a 1992 e36 325is

I loved that car... a complete beater but it was a blast!

I started looking into a LSX swap about a year ago. Prices were a bit too high.
    I then began looking into a 302 v8.... naah not the right direction.

After weeks of convincing from a few of my closer friends, I decided that the s54 would be the ideal route... but with coding and prices still a bit to high for my budget, I didn't see it as a possibility.

Well, this showed up today at the shop-

2001 S54 with 62k, all recalls performed and exceptional compression numbers. I found the motor on ebay listed at 3k for the block alone.. but after some discussions and the seller understanding my budget and becoming excited with my project, he gave me the entire pullout for under 2900 bucks. I am so thankful!

Two of my closer friends are great mechanics and will be doing the install/wiring/flash for pizza and beer money. They will be using this swap to get the word out on their shop, which is about to go public. Again.. so thankful!

s54 z3 m radiator, JVT headers and electronic pedal are in the mail. Still looking for the correct flywheel, motor/tranny mounts (going to e36 5 speed) and ideal exhaust setup. Picked up a Supersprint replica for 200 shipped

As I piece everything together, I will keep you guys posted. I'll be at the shop tonight checking out the motor a bit more. Beyond excited and can't wait to get this thing up and running!

Cheers

Patrick
    Last edited by Plynch325IS; 04-22-2013 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    supercharged 1999 318is
    now its a party!!! I will be keeping an eye on this 1

*******supercharged 318is*******

My Cars
    Coupe
    Cool, I'm glad you went with an S54 swap vs. 302. Dollars and cents per hp/tq aside, the S54 swap is easier and the result will be much cleaner. Great luck with it.
    2000 M Coupe
    [Always in progress !!!]

My Cars
    Yes please
    Stopped by the shop after work. Managed to get the valve cover off. No sludge, spark plugs are nice and dry and overall looked great! I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

My Cars
    Turbo Miata
    hey there beautiful, havent seen you in awhile!

Deutschland, Deutschland, lalala, lalaaaaa, DA-DA-DA-DAAAAA

- - - Updated - - -

its gonna be an amazing machine...someones putting in the wrench time.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Valve cover off!

Things looking great so far

super clean spark plugs! Always a good thing.. I was so nervous pulling them off!

shot of the cam gears down

E46 m3 electronic pedal came in yesterday. Still looking for the right lightweight flywheel to mock up to the e36 tranny and some firm motor mounts. any suggestions?

Looking to get the oil pan off today or tomorrow and inspect the bearings. If you guys have any feedback or suggestions I'm all ears

Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thinnertenor View Post
    hey there beautiful, havent seen you in awhile!

Deutschland, Deutschland, lalala, lalaaaaa, DA-DA-DA-DAAAAA

its gonna be an amazing machine...someones putting in the wrench time.
    BJ! Ladies and Gents, Welcome our Head Machinist to BMF.com! Great to see you made a profile to keep up with everything

and sorry guys.. it's going to happen.. a LOT lol

My Cars
    Turbo Miata
    i never thought id actually make a profile here...but alas....

i want my hat!

My Cars
    Yes please
    ^ done.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Depending on how you plan on driving it, even with the bearing recall, I suggest VAC coated rod bearings, and definitely get ARP rod bolts.

IMO get rid of the Supersprint, it will sound raspy as hell...if you want a nice replica go with the full AA gen3 + track pipe combo on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E36-3-SERIES...4cb300&vxp=mtr

This was my motivation for going with a Gen 3 on my s54 e30 m3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKJ_gGYlkk

My exhaust with a Flo Pro mid muffler:

My Cars
    Yes please
    ARP and VAC hardware is planned as of now.. I'll look into the exhaust. Yours sounds great!

- - - Updated - - -

are these the correct ARP bolts?

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/a...tm_content=pla

mixed reviews on the VAC vs bmw recall kit.. thoughts?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...C-Rod-Bearings

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any suggestions to reduce 'rasp' between the JVT headers and the Supersprint rep exhaust?

My Cars
    what will you be using for the ecu? standalone or oem?

My Cars
    Yes please
    OEM wiring harness will be used.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Dear God this going to be beautiful. I want to do this swap so bad! I suppose I can just live vicariously through you for a while.
    Definitely subscribed to see how it turns out!
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That's what gets you. - Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    With oem computer tho?

A/c ?

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Fanatic5151 View Post
    Dear God this going to be beautiful. I want to do this swap so bad! I suppose I can just live vicariously through you for a while.
    Definitely subscribed to see how it turns out!
    Thanks! It's been a long time coming... so excited!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by patb1 View Post
    With oem computer tho?

A/c ?
    Yes, OEM computer with reflashed DME to communicate with the wiring harness. A/C included.

- - - Updated - - -

Headed over to the shop in a few minutes to layout our rod connector/bearings checklist. Looks like I'm going to do VAC everything per track guys advice. I'll post photos when I get to the bearings

Patrick

My Cars
    3xxti
    Subscribed

House OF The swapped Compacts !!!! Mzk2built
    98active 318ti s54 cf airbox alpha-n-tune by RK Tunes 325rwhp 257rwtq
    98 Cali edition 318ti completely stock daily (FOR SALE)
    95 318ti active w/winter package long time drag project awaiting S/C s54 swa

My Cars
    But the ac works through the can bus in the e46. Not trying to harp on this just that im in the middle of rebuilding an s54 to go in my e36 to do the swap as well. I plan for it to become my daily.

My Cars
    Yes please
    I'm not sure. I'm not on the R&D end but there are multiple threads explaining A/C for this swap. I'll get with my team and clear things up as soon as possible
    Last edited by Plynch325IS; 04-24-2013 at 06:01 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by patb1 View Post
    But the ac works through the can bus in the e46. Not trying to harp on this just that im in the middle of rebuilding an s54 to go in my e36 to do the swap as well. I plan for it to become my daily.
    This comes up often and I'm surprised that apparently it hasn't been figured out yet. Seems like it wouldn't be difficult to sniff CAN bus traffic on an e46 while switching the a/c off & on, then program a microcontroller to send the same messages when the e36 climate controls try to signal the compressor off & on.

If I had an e46 car to work with I'd likely be selling a kit to make the e36 S54 swap a/c work correctly. Anyone near Sacramento with an e46 that I can run some tests on?
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    86 325es/// 95 m3//89 325is custom
    I run a/c on my e36 m3, dont know why though, never drive it on the street anymore. I use my regular e36 m3 a/c panel to turn the compressor on and off. I also use the low pressure switch to cycle the ac compressor on and off, works fine. Ive had it in for a year now with no problems.
    S54 powered m3

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jsim308ons View Post
    I run a/c on my e36 m3, dont know why though, never drive it on the street anymore. I use my regular e36 m3 a/c panel to turn the compressor on and off. I also use the low pressure switch to cycle the ac compressor on and off, works fine. Ive had it in for a year now with no problems.
    But when sitting at idle and the ac kicks on does or cause a real dip in rpm or kill yje engine?

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    I suggest VAC coated rod bearings, and definitely get ARP rod bolts.
    OP this is a must! If you dare put the motor back together with stock hardware im gonna get mad; and you won't like me when im mad lol j/k. Please though, do this, and that motor will keep you very happy for years to come.
    Last edited by JCooper; 04-24-2013 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    95' euro m3 cosmos coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JCooper View Post
    OP this is a must! If you dare put the motor back together with stock hardware im gonna get mad; and you won't like me when im mad lol j/k. Please though, do this, and that motor will keep you very happy for years to come.
    I suggest this as well, words of wisdom
    btw, sub'd
    Last edited by barkmancosmosm3; 04-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.

My Cars
    Yes please
    It will be done, both bearings and rod connectors.VAC bearings and VAC connecting rod bolts?

Lots of coated vs non coated chatter between them and vac..

Also, VAC or ARP bolts? any preferences between the two?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also guessing my machinist will have the answer to this question... but do I need the standard size VAC bearings or the ".025 undersize crank" set? Also, the blub from bimmerworlds kit worries me a bit -

"Our treated rod bearings are not coated - coatings too often add too much material and interfere with proper tolerances, that causing more problems than they solve. The bearings we use in our kits have been treated with a process that not only smoothes the grain structure in the surface of the bearing, but also aids in oil retention, providing more lubricity in this critical area of the S54 engine."

you guys are saying "coated coated coated" .... then why is a renowned race team such as bimmerworld suggesting and practicing otherwise? As of now, I'm getting the VAC bearings, but I'd like some
    clarification on the topic.

Cheers! Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

Just put a quick listing up for my m52 that will be coming out in a few weeks. 148k, runs great w/ no issues or oily pavement spots, hah! Any idea how much I should charge for the full pullout?
    Last edited by Plynch325IS; 04-25-2013 at 08:47 AM.

My Cars
    Yes please
    UPDATE: S54 z3m radiator came in last night along with some whiteline control arm bushing to increase caster and the e46 gas pedal. I noticed something odd today on my statements.. the JVT-R headers apparently refunded my money back earlier last week. They sent me two confirmation receipts from the company as well as an invoice number. I wanted to track the package and decided to run the confirmation number.. but to no avail. They didn't include one! The customer service number is down and the email address as well. Super confusing.

There is no documentation of a refund on my account but there also isn't a record of charge. I remembered checking and seeing the charge go through, but it appears it is not there anymore.

I'll wait a few more days and see if they show up, but if not I am more than likely going with the euro headers. There is an ebay option but I am so sketched out by what just happened I might stick a little more to the beaten path for the rest of this build.

Happy weekend!

Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

NOTE: intakeone.com is the website.. I'd stay away (obv)

Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast