Thread: ‘Decode IPO’ & ‘ESG XBD SGBD Developer’(?)

My Cars
    '07 320i E90

‘Decode IPO’ & ‘ESG XBD SGBD Developer’(?)

In the thread ‘NCS/INPA/EDIABAS Update errors’ (post #45)
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...e-errors/page2
    ‘andy711’ asks how *.IPO, *.PRG, and *.GRP files can be read.

In post #46, ‘FAL’ mentions, “*.IPO files are easy, just use Decode IPO. For *.PRG and *.GRP files, you need ESG XBD SGBD Developer (and to be able to read and understand German).”

I’ve been searching without success for these applications. Although I asked about them in the original thread in post #52, because it is off topic in that original thread and my post is pretty buried under, I’m starting a new thread to focus on this matter.

If anyone can provide some pointers on how to acquire the applications mentioned above, or others that would accomplish the tasks, I’d greatly appreciate it. Hopefully such ‘reader’ or ‘decompiler’ applications really do exist.

I’d like to be able to ‘read’ *.IPO files etc., for it would allow the user to more accurately identify the correct file among the many in the SGDAT folder of INPA for example for use when the default ‘ENTRY’ selections in INPA’s menu selections do not include the correct *.IPO reference for the ECU models that the user needs to access.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 04-21-2013 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    BMW
    This software does exist but its very rare and those who have it share it with only a select few. You are not the select few and neither am I so. stop even trying to look for it on web because you will find nothing! Reason Fal didn't even reply to your thread is because of this. There is also I heard an INPA version named INPA Developer edition that supposedly has all the F series chassis. I would love a copy of that!
    Last edited by cn555ic; 04-21-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    *CODING BMWs in N.Y Area 917-939-4980*
    Call or Text for INFO

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Thanks for your input. If such applications are not shared easily, I'd be inclined to believe that the reason may be to prevent the possibility of 'bad(corrupt) files' from being circulated, unintentionally or otherwise. Perhaps there are legal matters of concern as well. I wouldn't think a member of this forum or someone else that has such applications would withhold it just to make others feel 'unworthy'. At least that's what I'll believe for my peace of mind, ... until I’m told otherwise.

Actually, I’d be just as happy to get a hold of a list of *.ipo files matched with their respective ECUs, if such a reference exists. Of course I’m referring to a relatively comprehensive list compared to what may be included in CFGDAT files, which may be missing *.ipo references to certain model ECUs. Even some other application that simply allows for 'reading' but not altering would be equally useful.
    Last edited by tinkerman; 04-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
    This software does exist but it’s very rare and those who have it share it with only a select few. You are not the select few and neither am I, so stop even trying to look for it on web because you will find nothing! Reason FAL didn't even reply to your thread is because of this.
    I think you’re being a little bit unfair, to jump to such a conclusion. The reason i have not replied yet, is simply because i have been busy. Please bear in mind, that my helping with software on BMW forums is purely a hobby and that i do so purely on a “when i get some free time” basis.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
    I wouldn't think a member of this forum or someone else that has such applications would withhold it just to make others feel 'unworthy'. At least that's what I'll believe for my peace of mind ...until I’m told otherwise.
    Actually, I’d be just as happy to get a hold of a list of *.ipo files matched with their respective ECUs, if such a reference exists. Of course I’m referring to a relatively comprehensive list compared to what may be included in CFGDAT files, which may be missing *.ipo references to certain model ECUs. Even some other application that simply allows for 'reading' but not altering would be equally useful.
    I’m pretty sure that i have covered the basic steps of this before, but i am happy to contribute to this thread again. You need to:

1. Decide on which chassis you want to add or expand within INPA.
    2. Create a list of ECU Families used within that chassis. I start this process by finding an up-to-date ECU network diagram, either an engineering example or a dealer training example (see attachments).
    3. Extract the post-compiled data from within the SGBD group files, for those families and cross reference them with Tool Set 32, using the group *.prg (If you have direct access to an example, you can use Tool Set 32 to identify them for you. However, this only works on more modern vehicles and it can only identify those ECU’s fitted, and not all possible variants for that particular type of chassis.) Note: IIRC, you have an E9x. To speed up the process, i have included a complete Excel list of all possible *.prg files associated with the E89x chassis (not including *.grp files).
    4. Once you have a list of all possible *.prg and *.grp files, you can start decompiling *.ipo files. You will be able to see all the *.prg/*.grp files used within the *.ipo’s, BUT a lot of useful data is lost during the compiling process (as would be expected). It’s important to workout which main *.prg files are called by Ediabas, as the other *.prg files called as errors or part-functions, can be confusing.
    5. You should now have a comprehensive list of *ipo files that will work with your chosen chassis. You can also now write your own *.ips files in C89/C99, and compile them into *.ipo files. You can also now, contruct your INPA menu(s).

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
    FAL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 coupe smg
    Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    I think you’re being a little bit unfair, to jump to such a conclusion.
    +1 om this, fall's replies and pm's are a great help to a lot of people on this forum.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Much thanks again to FAL for the materials and detailed advice.

Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    4. Once you have a list of all possible *.prg and *.grp files, you can start decompiling *.ipo files.
    1. What method(s) can be used to decompile the *.ipo(*.prg/*.grp) file(s), and how can it(software or device?) be acquired?

2. In order, “to workout which main *.prg files are called by Ediabas”, wouldn’t it first be necessary to be able to ‘read’ which reference files are mentioned(predetermined) in the *.ipo file(s)?

3. Or is it such that an *.ipo file merely points to an ECU, then EDIABAS determines the best match for a *.prg file?
    Last edited by tinkerman; 04-23-2013 at 07:06 AM.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    1. What method(s) can be used to decompile the *.ipo(*.prg/*.grp) file(s), and how can it(software or device?) be acquired?
    You can quickly determine the contents of a *.prg or *.grp file, by opening your command-line interpreter and running Ediabas Xtract. I normally extract my results as an XML file.

2. In order, “to workout which main *.prg files are called by Ediabas”, wouldn’t it first be necessary to be able to ‘read’ which reference files are mentioned (predetermined) in the *.ipo file(s)?
    No. Once you have a list of all possible *.prg files for a specific chassis, and a list of *.grp files that match those *.prg files, then you have all you need to start modifying INPA (or writing your own INPA files). I’ll add the group files to the Excel sheet again at the weekend (showing the matches) and upload it again for you.

3. Or is it such that an *.ipo file merely points to an ECU, then EDIABAS determines the best match for a *.prg file?
    Basically, yes. In simple terms it’s “challenge/response”. Ediabas questions the ECU about its hexadecimal address, variant index and sometimes its diagnostic index. Using the answers, Ediabas then matches that ECU to a *.prg file. If that *.prg file is referenced within the *.ipo, then INPA continues. If the *.prg is not referenced within the *.ipo file, INPA displays an on screen error prompt.

I hope that helps.

My Cars
    '07 320i E90
    Aw~ YeaH! Thank you FAL for the pointers. I'll need some time to fully absorb their implications!

< NOTE >
    The reason I’m digging this far into this matter is really because I was grateful but also felt kinda ‘bad’(sorry) that despite your(FAL’s) generous efforts in providing a custom *.ipo file(MEV17N46_FAL.IPO) along with other files for me to access my N46TU2 engine’s MV1746 dme, something did not click and I got errors(‘SYS-0008: JOB NOT FOUND’ and ‘API-0014: RESULT NOT FOUND’).
    Then as I searched online for “MEV17.2.1” which was mentioned under ‘Information’ > ‘Comment’, I was lucky enough to find a post in another forum for 1 series bimmers which happened to show an ‘engine entry’ specifically for the N46TU2(and N45TU) engine:

ENTRY= ME17R4,ME17.2.1 / MEV17.2.1 for N45TU/ N46TU2,

It was almost pure luck that I ran into this, and fortunately the ME17R4.IPO file seems to be the right reference, for I get no errors when accessing any information from the dme.

Now I’d like to access information about my transmission, but am in the same situation in which the current default menu selections return errors(an example below):

Variant checking
    /!\ Request control unit:
    ‘GS19/V1.06, GS19A/V3.01, GS19B/V4.001, GS19C/V0.010, GS19D/V2.010’ not found.
    Control unit found: ‘GS1912’.
    Program will be stopped!

In the INPA > SGDAT folder, I found a ‘GS1912.IPO’ (Date modified 2006-03-13). I’m thinking of giving this a shot(and might as well try), but in a different forum someone had mentioned that it did not allow connection as expected(by resemblance of file name to ECU). Therefore, I’d like to be able to determine if an IPO file is the right match for the ECU by checking the contents of the file, instead of ‘trial and error’ or ‘pure luck find’ in the future.

Since I’m not in a hurry at this point, I’d like to try and crack open this GS1912.IPO and any associated PRG or GRP files if possible, make some assessments to determine if it is the correct file, and then try it out with INPA and the car.

My Cars
    BMW 335 E92
    bumping old thread

"Once you have a list of all possible *.prg and *.grp files, you can start decompiling *.ipo files."

so how do we decompile .IPO ?
    2007 E92 335
    JB4 G5, Pump Flash,
    BMS Intake, Macht Schnell 3" DP, Custom 3" Exhaust,
    CXRacing FMIC, MT (after swap),
    MFactory LSD, RB PCV, BMS OCC

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Also interested in decompiling .ipo
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    There is a small utility that shows the basic compilation of .ipo files, but I am not aware of any means of actually fully decompiling them (as they are essentially .ips files which have been compiled). If you want to get a look at the actual content of an .ipo file, you can display it by using WinMerge but if you have never seen one in its expanded form previously, I think you will be surprised at the amount of content.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    What is your intended goal of .ipo decompiling?
    Sounds like a good project.

The .ipo source files I have seen were either .ips, which were ready to compile files, either in English or German, metric or US units, or .src files, which are untranslated base files. Lots of programming and German. Too bad I am not a programmer.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Looking for DecodeIpo as well.

Is 'FAL' still around. He seems to have deep level knowledge of this stuff and I even have seen some of his custom INPA screens that look nothing like the original BMW screens.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/