Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light pods wont go up

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    BTW - Would a battery reset help in this instance? This is a 1997 840Ci and I think that year does not benefit from a reset?
    You've not tried that yet? Thats a cheap and easy test....rectifies bunches of gremlins...
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    You've not tried that yet? Thats a cheap and easy test....rectifies bunches of gremlins...
    Yeah, but...I'd heard it didn't work on this year?????

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    The only differences between the M60 and M62 engined E31's (as far as a battery disconnect is concerned) is that the M60 loses the ECU adaptations and the M62 doesn't.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    '92 850, 6spd, Black
    Do you have a good ground on Pin 4 of Relay K39?
    LouM...

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by LouM View Post
    Do you have a good ground on Pin 4 of Relay K39?
    LouM...
    It appears that all the pins were responding normally. So tomorrow I do the battery reset.

Thanks much guys. I hope this works...if not it is off to the Wallet Eater.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Ok, battery reset had no effect. I believe the issue is in a switch somewhere. Now to find it.

My Cars
    '92 850, 6spd, Black
    Any solution to this problem yet?
    LouM...

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308

Angry Need LKM '97 840Ci

Ok. The LKM is fried, smells burnt. Anyone have a replacement? I'm at a loss as to the part number for this. There are multiple boxes but I'm not sure which one is the LKM? #5?

I'm getting tired of manually raising the headlights.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The LKM has a longer white and a black connector on it (#5 in the picture). The connector tops "slide" outward to release the plug.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    I might..

Have to check.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    91 850i
    Ok. The LKM is fried, smells burnt.
    Please open it up and take some high res pics of the PCB. I'm wondering if your fix might be as simple as replacing some capacitors as is the case in the GM.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    I will try to get some shots of it posted. It was also blowing a 30amp fuse. I will identify which one and post

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Update - LKM is replaced and all lights and pods now work. This also stopped fuse 7 from blowing repeatedly. Interestingly enough the FTP is now working when the lighting stalk is pulled, it has not worked since I bought the car. Also, the neutral safety switch to keep the car from being pushed into gear from neutral without the brake on is also now working. This has not worked in several months. Previous to this the only thing that came on were the fog lamps and the headlamps, I had to manually raise the pods. The pic below shows a very nuked LKM. I think there were multiple failures over several months as things the worked when I got the car, stopped working, and things that stopped working later now also work. I think a symptom of the progressive failure was the lack of properly operating FTP's. So the question is: do the LKM's suffer and rolling failure once they start to go.

This is a pretty massively fried piece of gear. I hope we got the whole problem fixed and this does not happen again.

LKM - part #.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tvjake2; 09-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.

My Cars
    91 850i
    Thanks for providing the pics, Jake. Glad to hear you got the pods and lighting system working again.

That board fried in at least two spots! The problem could be anything but as most of us are aware electrolytic capacitors are usually the weak point and I count 3 of them.

Could you read the values and ratings of each unit and provide them, please? That way we can change our LKM caps and rule that out as potential failure points.

Finally, I hope that when your LKM went, it didn't damage any of your other modules. I would highly recommend doing your General Module (GM) capacitors while you are in the area and checking the condition of your other modules circuitry as well.
    Last edited by mjrgroup; 09-10-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    T I would highly recommend doing your General Module (GM) capacitors while you are in the area and checking the condition of your other modules circuitry as well.
    Ooooo, I like that idea. I was thinking of having the GM redone "just in case" but that was before the LKM. Now I think that is a great idea. I'll see if I can read the values and get back to you.

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Update - LKM is replaced and all lights and pods now work. This also stopped fuse 7 from blowing repeatedly. Interestingly enough the FTP is now working when the lighting stalk is pulled, it has not worked since I bought the car. Also, the neutral safety switch to keep the car from being pushed into gear from neutral without the brake on is also now working. This has not worked in several months. Previous to this the only thing that came on were the fog lamps and the headlamps, I had to manually raise the pods. The pic below shows a very nuked LKM. I think there were multiple failures over several months as things the worked when I got the car, stopped working, and things that stopped working later now also work. I think a symptom of the progressive failure was the lack of properly operating FTP's. So the question is: do the LKM's suffer and rolling failure once they start to go.

This is a pretty massively fried piece of gear. I hope we got the whole problem fixed and this does not happen again.

The only damage I see is load resisters that are used for monitoring the current.. Do you have aftermarket bulbs connected? Was there a wiring short in your car? In the case of a significant overload (or wrong fuse) the fuse might not have blown, which would have led the onboard resistors to generate a lot of heat (eventually acting like fuses), notice how the conformal coating is burned?

The LKM doesn't really look that bad. Also, The capacitors look OK, and wouldn't have burned the board like that.

Ooooo, I like that idea. I was thinking of having the GM redone "just in case" but that was before the LKM. Now I think that is a great idea. I'll see if I can read the values and get back to you.
    I can rebuild your LKM if interestod, send me a PM. I'd also be interested in studying how your LKM failed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    That board fried in at least two spots! The problem could be anything but as most of us are aware electrolytic capacitors are usually the weak point and I count 3 of them.

Could you read the values and ratings of each unit and provide them, please? That way we can change our LKM caps and rule that out as potential failure points.

Finally, I hope that when your LKM went, it didn't damage any of your other modules. I would highly recommend doing your General Module (GM) capacitors while you are in the area and checking the condition of your other modules circuitry as well.
    Slow down... The Caps look OK; The load resistors got crazy hot, probably from installing a larger fuse to 'solve' the problebm. The visible 'damage' is just the plastic/epoxy conformal coating that melted.
    It is not likely that any other damage was done. However, I suspect some other damage (perhaps a short in the cars wiring) would have caused the LKM damage. (not the other way around)

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Thanks EE, I will PM you.

The fuses in the car were/are all correct. I only have one (tail light) bulb that is not stock, ASFIK the headlight bulbs are all stock. As I said this was a cascading problem which is strange.

There was an incident that preceded this failure. I was driving on the freeway and wanted to flash a truck that needed to change lanes. Since my FTP's didn't work I flipped the headlight switch up and down rather quickly. After that (silly) move the pods did not work and the subsequent lighting issues showed up. I don't know if that is pertinent info but it preceded the failure.

One other question: In all my other Beemers the door locks would unlock when the handle was pulled twice. In this car I need to push the unlock button to unlock the doors...is this normal? Also, do these cars have an auto lock feature after attaining a certain speed? I don't know when that became a standard function.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Are you referring to the inner handle? No such luck. If the door is locked, the inner handle is locked. No auto-lock feature either...thankfully.

My Cars
    840 528 e36 M3 328 332ti
    Having same problem with my 97 where is the LKM location

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12