Thread: Metal Sunroof liner removal

My Cars
    95 750iL

Metal Sunroof liner removal

Searched the forums using a couple different phrases and nothing. I have the pillars and headliner completely removed. Trying to get the liner out, but its not the same as the moonroof. It is attached to the sunroof and fully retracts when its open.

Please help! I hope im just overlooking something.
    Last edited by Drilim; 04-18-2013 at 12:01 AM.

My Cars
    95 750iL
    Bump.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I think you have some torx screws on that one. The back of the cassette has like 4 more that are not normally there. I think I remember reading how you have to hand crank the panel back a little farther to expose the torx screws. There is a little plastic cap over the crank drive that you should be able to see. Remove cap and put in a 1/4 drive or whatever that is.
    Last edited by xboss; 04-18-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1995 740iL
    I had the same trouble when I redid my headliner. I also couldn't figure out how to remove it. I tried everything I could but failed so I just left it as is. If someone could chime, it'd be great!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Mine needs new material on it too as it sags - count me in for a removal guide. When I had to remove my top panel, there were literally no guides that specifically related to it - they were all either glass sunroofs or supposedly metal ones but the procedures never matched mine. Would love to see something for the steel ones that actually makes sense!!

My Cars
    95 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    Mine needs new material on it too as it sags - count me in for a removal guide. When I had to remove my top panel, there were literally no guides that specifically related to it - they were all either glass sunroofs or supposedly metal ones but the procedures never matched mine. Would love to see something for the steel ones that actually makes sense!!

Yeah, Same issue I ran into. The rectangular frame that holds the full headliner in place with Torx screws is out.

After reading that link, "remove sunroof lid" means the entire assembly needs to come out?

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    I found that after reading seemingly every guide out there, whether it was supposed to be for a steel sunroof or not, the procedures were never a match for mine or they were but only up until a point.

On the guide above, it's hard to make out. It almost looks like it wants you to retract the steel top right back in, then slide the interior headliner piece forward and undo some torx bits on the exposed top. The strange thing is mine isn't like this I believe - if the steel roof goes all the way back, it doesn't leave any topside screws exposed, so I don't know where it's referring to in that guide. I'm very tempted to play around with mine at home just to see if I can match it to that guide, but then I'm worried I'll just bugger it up again. Couldn't handle having a rattling sunroof again at this stage!

Drillm, feel like being a guinea pig hahaha

My Cars
    95 750iL
    I don't mind being a guinea pig, just need this thing out today! Already dropped all the other parts off to the upholstery shop.

My Cars
    95 750iL
    Spent a little time looking at it yesterday afternoon. Still stumped. I suppose I'm going to run it by the upholstery guy and see if he has the ability or experience to remove it.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    88860034-E9BC-43B7-B816-A99468EAE125.jpegJust in case anyone ever comes back to this thread. The metal sunroof panel can be removed without dropping the headliner. There are two small screws in the front that you can reach with the rod in the raised position then there are 3 17mm nuts that do not look like nuts on the back/rear from inside the car. See the pic. If you slightly open the metal roof just when it starts to move rearward the sliding cover will release and can be slide rearward by hand.
    Last edited by wrightbenz; 11-25-2022 at 11:40 PM.