Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Learning to drift? My build/rebuild - Austin, TX

My Cars
    E36 vert 5.0 V8 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj View Post
    Every time I take off, release the clutch, downshift, pretty much whenever power is transferred I hear a click and a clock and there is a lag. When my car is jacked up I can turn the wheel maybe an inch because if the play in the axles. I confirmed it wasn't my diff because I just had it out recently... And it all seemed to amplify once I put my poly trans mounts in. I'm guessing the "slop" was disguised better with the worn mounts.

Pretty much preventive maintenance at 208k because next month I plan to drive 4 hours, drift 2 days and drive 4 hours back
    The new axles should help with that, but there will always be a little slack. Those $50 Oreilly axles are working well for me after a year of driving and 4 events. Plus, you can't go wrong with lifetime warranty.

My Cars
    2JZ E30
    Quote Originally Posted by motocaddy View Post
    The new axles should help with that, but there will always be a little slack. Those $50 Oreilly axles are working well for me after a year of driving and 4 events. Plus, you can't go wrong with lifetime warranty.
    $50 Oreilly axles? Got a link? I need some bad
    - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build -
    Interested in Drifting in the ArkLaTex? Join us at ArkLaTexDrift!
    318Racing.org

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Hmm. I have red AKG diff mounts and I just checked all the torque on the whole subframe and everything last month.. The ball joints "felt" tight but it's really hard to tell because I'm not as strong as a car.

When I had the axles unbolted from the diff I could flex them back and forth in my hand so I know there is some play but unfortunately I didn't have a new one for reference. Should there be zero slack in a new axle, like no more than can be felt twisting it by hand?

I don't really want to do this unless I have to obviously due to funds but I also don't want to break something during a drift day and be stranded!

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    95 M3, 99 528i M, 98 e39
    Looking good. Id say for $50 you cant go wrong with new axles. besides the time to replace them. Id say do it but they also say if it aint broke dont fix it....but that usually doesnt apply to the e36.

1995 M3 Vortech Supercharged

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    the rear 'knuckles' on the e36 (really just the wheel bearing housing on the rta) come on the non-m's with suuuuper crappy lower rubber bushings that are almost certainly shot, and the main cause of the feeling of drivetrain elasticity in these cars. the 96+ cars use the same balljoint in the lowers as the uppers, and is a night and day difference, really solidifies the back end. check em out if you haven't done them yet.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    the rear 'knuckles' on the e36 (really just the wheel bearing housing on the rta) come on the non-m's with suuuuper crappy lower rubber bushings that are almost certainly shot, and the main cause of the feeling of drivetrain elasticity in these cars. the 96+ cars use the same balljoint in the lowers as the uppers, and is a night and day difference, really solidifies the back end. check em out if you haven't done them yet.
    Awesome, so would that be a part where I can just buy the newer assembly or would this be a wrecking yard thing? Sounds like a plan either way. I'll probably just deal with it for now

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by HTOWN///M View Post
    if it aint broke dont fix it....but that usually doesnt apply to the e36.
    This is true. Too true

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Awesome, so would that be a part where I can just buy the newer assembly or would this be a wrecking yard thing? Sounds like a plan either way. I'll probably just deal with it for now
    you'll want to buy new ones, same part number as the upper balljoints back there

they're a bit pricy, ~$65 a side new IIRC...worth it though

you don't need the whole assembly, just replace the bushing with the balljoint

I'd do all 4 because chances are if they're original, the uppers will be in rough shape as well

My Cars
    E36 vert 5.0 V8 swap
    Benny speaks the truth. I've been chasing a loose and noisy rear end since I've owned this car. About 6 months ago, I replaced everything but the rear ball joints and it was still noisy. This past weekend, I did the upper/lower rear ball joints and it's infinitely better. Super quiet and solid, especially for a 220k chassis.

Autohausaz.com had the cheapest ones I could find. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0Arm%20Bushing You need 4 of the ball joint ones (non-Ms have a bushing in bottom from factory).

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    When I turn my wheels and/or DS, there is a ton of play back there. Ignorance is bliss?

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    That is extremely reassuring Mike. I'm never fixing anything again if you can get away with having over 4 times the power with loose axles!!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    That is extremely reassuring Mike. I'm never fixing anything again if you can get away with having over 4 times the power with loose axles!!
    Well don't blame me if one breaks lol. I've just been lucky? And I have M3 axles which IIRC are slightly larger?

Mike

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    lol yeah I assume all responsibility for my own procrastination. I know it's a 36mm nut vs a 32mm but I really doubt even the M3 axles were ready for 600whp

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    So... I bought an s52 shortblock. My plans are to pretty much swap shortblocks m50tu --> s52 leaving me with an obd1 s52 at minimal cost. My "donor" m50tu runs great so I'm hoping this all goes smoothly!!

Picked it up in Dallas for a killer deal. Rebuilt recently but the PO changed directions so I picked up the s52 shortblock machined with obd1 timing cover, race bearings, new seals + ARP hardware on the bottom end. The icing on the cake is for another $100 I received ARP head studs and and a turner chip perfect for my needs!! (s52/24#/3.5 hfm/93 octane/no EWS) Technically all I "need" are some cams and gaskets but I plan on refreshing pretty much every piece I pull off - gaskets, hoses, mounts etc to make sure I do this right. There is some pretty much cosmetic damage on one of the pistons but I'll deal with taking care of that for the price I paid.

Yeah, I know the s52 isn't the end-all be-all solution for more power but I figure it's a MUCH better starting point than a 208k m50tu. Turbo will still happen but for now I hope to enjoy 70-80 more WHP and the beginnings of my sleeper status goal.

I regretfully missed drifting/partying at Lone Star Bash on my birthday but this was a sacrifice i was willing to make!!

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    yeah man that is a deal you just cant pass up.

LSB was awesome but there will be other events and having a bit more power will make them all the more fun.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    SO my steering rack took a sh1t... rack #2. Looked around at quite a few options and found a Z3 1.9L rack for $100 from a salvage car with 108k miles on it locally. I plan on putting it on tonight along with my 5mm spacers.

Ive read a lot of conflicting info about losing steering angle with the Z3 rack so I guess I'll find out later. I'm excited to see how it feels with a tighter ratio. I also picked up a full set of dirty style 30's (stock sport 16" double spokes) with very decent S-drive tires for $60 while I was there, lowball offer win!! 14 wheels in my garage now...

I will get my s52 home in a couple of weeks or so and time to start saving for parts. Hoping to sell a few things to offset the cost like my m50, 18" wheels, dinan chip.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Not completely off topic, but here's my new RC E30 M3 doing some freestyle ice drifting lol:

We very rarely get anything close to snow here so this freezing sleetstorm was a pretty rare thing.

I'm always jokingly asking my wife to get me car parts for Christmas, birthdays, etc and this time she came through in a surprising way. Was quite the project to build, Tamiya TT-01. Now I have a dedicated drift car lol:

It will soon be getting an engine swap, steering angle kit and new BBS drift wheels much ahead of schedule of my REAL half-assed drift car...

Well back to the real car world, I'm pretty excited, after a long delay I'll be getting my S52 home this coming weekend and plan on doing the swap as soon as time and money allow. I won't be able to get a single freakin' weekend off work until summer so I hope to have the car ready for some Lone Star Drift events!!!

In other news I recently rolled my fenders, and got some 25mm spacers for a little more clearance up front and better looks in the rear... Looks aside, pretty excited to be able to fit more tires sizes, before fender rolling I couldn't use my stock size wheels in the rear without rubbing. Also scored a $40 X-brace at a local junkyard and will contemplate removing my moldy carpet, sagging headliner and noisy/rattling/barely function sunroof. That plus the backseat i'm hoping for maybe 100-120 lbs of reduction at least for events. Lighter seats would be next on my list but I'm just not quite sure when.

Some pics, rear tires are now too bald to safely drive on so was just trying on the fronts.

Stock mode until Uncle Sam helps me buy some new tires:

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Well where do I begin.. Turbo time!!! Small world here in Texas. So the person I bought my engine from decided to go top-mount and bought Mike's manifold. I unknowingly contact him (my engine's previous owner from DFW) just to ask about machining specs on the S52 block and end up cleaning his garage out for him ending up with a pretty nice hoard of bottom-mount goodies:

This is a very nice piece! allows for a 4" pipe easily accommodating future upgrades:

Pretty much 90-95% of a turbo system, manifold to muffler! Got it all for a killer deal however I still feel we both benefitted because he was changing directions. Basically a complete old-school AA turbo kit with some assorted TRM parts including the catch can and intercooler from an older kit. Tune is perfect for my needs because I also bought the engine from him. Low compression OBD1 S52, 42lb injectors, 9-10 psi, draw-through 3.5" maf, HKS recirculating valve, Mitsubishi TD06 20g turbo, cast AA high bottom mount manifold. Pretty baller setup if it was still 2002...

Also included was a stock thickness MLS head gasket and a used S52 clutch that I'll probably swap in plus 3" exhaust with Magnaflow cat and muffler that unclamps for a cat-less setup. Pretty much all I need is a .140 MLS headgasket or similar or maybe I'll find a good deal on some low-compression pistons and just do it right. Thinking about sending my oil pan to AR Design for a drain plug unless I find a better solution. I'll have to clean up and re-fab some piping as some things are a little bent or beat up but no biggie. Also, to sweeten the deal for the PO we swapped valve covers and coils because he needs the metal one for his top-mount setup and I really don't mind the newer style with the M3 oil cap and TRM catch can.

Power goals? The 20G and kit supposedly have only 7k on them and the previous-previous owner put down 380whp. I guess the S52 and custom tune helps because AA claims this:

Stage 1 AA Gen III Turbo:

Performance Specs
    Power : 398 BHP @ 6200 rpm
    Torque : 390 ft/lbs @ 4250 rpm
    0 - 60 mph : 4.50 sec
    Top speed : 150+ mph
    1/4 mile : 12.79 sec @ 110 mph
    Boost Level : 9.0 psi

I think I'll be ok for a good long time coming from a near-stock M50tu I really want it to be reliable and semi-quiet above all for daily duty. Plenty of time to save up for a blow-through tune and big-boy turbo.

Also picked up some S50 cams and a Walbro 255 fuel pump from another member. So my swap turned into a swap+turbo. My, I have a lot of work to do...

I'll be selling some OBD1 stuff soon like TMS chip, 24# injectors, 3.5 maf, custom 3.5" K&N air intake system with 3" to 3.5" silicon boot, original Dinan tune, perfect M50 block and cams, etc so PM me or check my FS link.

Oh and for fun, here's my RC M3 after some abuse:

Last edited by jjjjjjj; 03-17-2014 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Out with the old...

Now, to make the one on the left look like the one on the right! Swapping everything from M50tu --> Rebuilt S52 shortblock + S50 cams + turbo bits.

Perfectly fine 205k M50 shortblock, M50 cams, Getrag 5-speed, clutch/flywheel/PP, driveshaft FS soon by the way. Cheap.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Awesome! Small world!

Let me know if you need any advice along the way with the install, or troubleshooting once it's up and running. I have a feeling you'll need my boost leak tester at some point

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 04-11-2014 at 12:44 PM.

My Cars
    E36 vert 5.0 V8 swap
    Exciting stuff! Good luck with getting everything set up!

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Thanks! Can't wait to get back to the track

Going slowly but surely. After much debate and research I've pretty much decided to just stick with the Getrag trans. I already have a nice short shifter, it's an old-school $500 "ultimate" complete kit from Bavarian Autosport that was installed back in like 1995 or 1996 believe it or not. Has always provided super-tight, notchy-in-a-good-way shifting and has never let me down so I'm gonna ride it until it breaks. My reasoning is that it's going to cost minimum $700 for trans+driveshaft+linkage and then another $400+ to get the shifter action I'm already used to and that's just more than I can spend right now on stuff that "might break". Used Getrags are all over for less than $200 so I guess it will be an experiment for now... if I break 2 Getrags then it becomes fact lol

I will eventually be running an oil cooler, I figure "stage 2" for me will be ZF, oil cooler mounted behind the kidneys, and some sort of boost gauge/controller setup and maybe a tune revision if needed. I'd also like to get a better BOV, I know there are some Synapse units that also support the draw-through as I won't be able to vent to atmosphere for the most awesome turbo sounds I'll be relying on the wastegate for now, it came with 2 springs so who knows.. i was told 9-10 psi and from the looks of the hard-to-find AA turbo videos I've seen it will surely scream like that! I'll be also be picking up a few things from RallyRoad for oil feed so that upgraded clutch pin will be on the list too. Already placed an ECS order for the rest of the gaskets and stuff i'll need so I should be on pace to finish by about the time I can afford the clutch or even faster if someone buys my old engine and other stuff quickly.

I pulled the cams and head on Easter, went pretty smoothly. I just watched the videos and etched everything I could to mark the spots for reassembly. Cams were piece of cake using the mybimmerspace.com method, no drama whatsoever. I found a shop in town that will resurface my head for $100 so really my only big purchase left will be the F1 S3 clutch/flywheel. I'll also be sanding/painting all of the turbo piping, probably a nice stealthy high-temp black as it's chipping and a little beat-up.

So in case you were wondering, an S52 makes a great iPad stand:

208k, nothing but synthetic:

And on to the bottom-end stuff. Still need to figure out what I'm doing for turbo oil drain:

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Man I seriously urge you to wait and save up and go ZF / M3 clutch now. You will break that Getrag with the turbo in the first event without a doubt. If you sneeze on them, or even look at them funny, they will break. Save yourself the hassle of your first event just breaking the trans and feeling regretful about doing the turbo setup.

Go ZF and don't look back! You can find them at junkyards for around $400-500 used all day long. Get that and a 240mm M3 clutch/flywheel and you'll be golden.

Also, even for the "stage 1" setup you should run at a minimum a boost gauge and a wideband air-fuel ratio gauge to know what's going on with the setup. You will find it extremely difficult to diagnose the problems that you WILL run into without those 2 gauges. I have a spare prosport boost gauge I'll give you for free because I believe in needing it so much. Widebands can be had for around $150-160 new for an AEM 52mm gauge one. Nice and simple and you'll be able to tell if everything is safe and working correctly or not. It only takes 1 or 2 WOT pulls with the wrong AFR to blow the whole thing up and start over.. Don't take a chance! Just miss another round of drifting if you have to in order to do it correctly the first time. Trust me on this! Troubleshooting a turbo car without any gauges is next to impossible.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 04-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    '96 328i vert
    ^^Seconded. These gauges have been epic in self diagnosis. Also agree on the trans issue. My buddy stayed with a Getrag and he blew it at his first event

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Mike, I may have to take you up on that boost gauge. I know I need a wideband eventually, been looking at the aem and innovate but I guess it's more critical than I thought. I think I'm just itching to get this all back together but I know you are right about the regret when I break something! A big part of me wants to just wait and save for the ZF, if only for the drifting abuse. I just haven't had any bites on my getrag and engine that are for sale so guess I'm getting antsy, maybe it will sell faster with the shifter setup included. My budget is very near tapped out until I can sell some stuff!

First event with a blown transmission.. Yeah I know I don't want to be that guy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast